weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Agreed that is a nice idea, the glasses are a great touch, I like the additional details like that when added to an image, shows thought which for me in turn adds that bit of polish :)
Cheers dean - they were a lucky find too - my husband is away this week and had taken both pairs of his reading glasses with him, and my driving glasses are lacking an arm so not very photogenic. I found these in a kitchen drawer - goodness knows whose they are...a long gone party guest maybe?!

Well I've just failed for the second night running to get something I'm happy with on my original idea for the theme...so I'll stop trying for now and hope I can shoehorn it in at a later date :D
These are a bit more personal but represent a whole lot of fun that was had last weekend when my husband finally took the flying lesson that I arranged for him as a 50th birthday present last year. William and I got to go up too and it was great fun making a record of the event and photographing Brighton from above. It was incredibly tight for space in the plane - the first was snatched lying across William's lap with my lens at 18mm and I still had no room for straightening and cropping! But the look on both their faces is something I'll treasure for a while :)

wak flight-1.jpg

wak flight3-1.jpg

wak flight2-1.jpg

Good bit of shoe-horning there, a good set but the first is excellent I think, spot on DoF and really captures the moment.

Good bit of shoe-horning there, a good set but the first is excellent I think, spot on DoF and really captures the moment.
And there was me thinking it was totally on theme if not my first choice Chris :rolleyes: Glad you like it - I was very torn between making the most of the photographic opportunities and worrying about annoying the pilot (the real one...not my husband ;) )

All of them work as a story of the day, the two close ups are very good and what a fantastic birthday present

It's on theme for me

All of them work as a story of the day, the two close ups are very good and what a fantastic birthday present

It's on theme for me

Smashing photos Emma ...the smiles on those faces are so full of genuine happiness, what a fabulous present for your hubby.
Thank you both...it probably beats his usual request of socks as a present ;)

Yes the three photos probably sum up the day for you quite nicely, well done for arranging it. :)

Happy family shots ... main crit:- can't see what he's holding, a certificate or something?

Yes the three photos probably sum up the day for you quite nicely, well done for arranging it. :)

Happy family shots ... main crit:- can't see what he's holding, a certificate or something?
Yes - a certificate to say he'd flown the plane. The white plane was the one we flew in, so I wanted to keep it in the shot which made cropping a bit problematic. I liked the way the late sun was hitting Lancing college (just over Warwick's left shoulder), which placed it geographically, too.

Fabulous visual family record .. an event captured in 3 brilliant shots. #1 edged it for me.

I don't see any shoe horning there, seems spot of for the theme to me. :)
As you say, the expressions on their faces are priceless, and it's things like expressions that truly make shots of people work.
(y)

Sooner you than me, I prefer my feet on terra firma - Nice Collection !

**Mod edit**
Stop spamming other peoples threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Great series of photos. As a stand alone #1 is great with the focus on your husband's face and the controls slightly OOF in the background. But I also works very well as a series telling a story.

Fabulous visual family record .. an event captured in 3 brilliant shots. #1 edged it for me.
Thanks Carl - that's very kind :)

I don't see any shoe horning there, seems spot of for the theme to me. :)
As you say, the expressions on their faces are priceless, and it's things like expressions that truly make shots of people work.
(y)
I knew I was right ;). Thanks Tim!

Sooner you than me, I prefer my feet on terra firma - Nice Collection !

https://www.clickasnap.com/123Barso123
It was fun! Never heard of clickasnap...I viewed so I guess you got paid?! Good to see your stuff still out there though :)

Great series of photos. As a stand alone #1 is great with the focus on your husband's face and the controls slightly OOF in the background. But I also works very well as a series telling a story.
Thanks Bernd - definitely one to remember :)

I like the overall form of the second one, sits nicely in the frame and well lit, i'd be happy with that :clap:

Yes, second one for me too Emma - the plain black bg makes the lily stand out more.

Both good... but #2 is a beaut with proper BG as BG to the tentacle thingies.

Nice detail and light on both of them, no2 stands out for me just like the lisianthus

**Mod edit**
Stop spamming last warning

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer #1 with the petals forming the BG for the 'tentacle thingies' (I'm sure that's the technical term). But on both you have achieved great lighting and sharpness.

Both Nice Emma #2 has the edge.

BTW Emma, you should have tagged me or RTM'd the spammer..
Any way, he can't post in your thread any more :)

Hi Emma,
Whilst there is a great vibrancy to your first shot, the pollen (stamen? I can never remember) seem to be left floating due to the shallow DoF. For that reason, I'm going to plump for your second shot with everything in focus against teh strong black background.
Fair play keeping the 'bits' all in focus in the first shot though.

I like the overall form of the second one, sits nicely in the frame and well lit, i'd be happy with that :clap:
Cheers Allan - I'm happy with that from you, too :)

Yes, second one for me too Emma - the plain black bg makes the lily stand out more.

Both good... but #2 is a beaut with proper BG as BG to the tentacle thingies.

I prefer #1 with the petals forming the BG for the 'tentacle thingies' (I'm sure that's the technical term). But on both you have achieved great lighting and sharpness.

Both Nice Emma #2 has the edge.

Hi Emma,
Whilst there is a great vibrancy to your first shot, the pollen (stamen? I can never remember) seem to be left floating due to the shallow DoF. For that reason, I'm going to plump for your second shot with everything in focus against teh strong black background.
Fair play keeping the 'bits' all in focus in the first shot though.
Thanks everyone for your comments - number 2 is my favourite as well, but I thought the first was maybe more on theme with more emphasis on the stamen and pistil.

BTW Emma, you should have tagged me or RTM'd the spammer..
Any way, he can't post in your thread any more :)
Thanks Chris. Tbh I didn't really click it was spamming - just seemed a bit random. Doh!

Im a huge fan of flower pics Em, and both of these are crackers. I did briefly consider something along the same lines,as my hazy memory reminded me about this, but my Biology classes are but a distant memory....

Second pic is exactly the way I like to shoot flowers, so thats the one for me....

Saw these earlier in the week and thought I had commented but apparently not, two very good photos, I think the tighter emphasis on the stamen in the first is stronger for the theme but the second is a perhaps a more pleasing image. Really great take on the theme, photos of the week for me :clap:

Im a huge fan of flower pics Em, and both of these are crackers. I did briefly consider something along the same lines,as my hazy memory reminded me about this, but my Biology classes are but a distant memory....

Second pic is exactly the way I like to shoot flowers, so thats the one for me....
Thank you Mark - that's very kind :)

Saw these earlier in the week and thought I had commented but apparently not, two very good photos, I think the tighter emphasis on the stamen in the first is stronger for the theme but the second is a perhaps a more pleasing image. Really great take on the theme, photos of the week for me :clap:
Wow...thanks Chris! :D

Love both of them Em :clap:

Torn between the two though, liking the detail in the first but the composition, lighting and background of the second shot is wonderful :)
Thanks so much Dean :)

Nice colours, well taken.
Thanks Walter :)

Love your choice for the theme Emma, I think #1 is probably more fitting for it, but #2 against that perfect black background is a stunner.
Thanks Susie - I prefer the second too, but posted the first for that very reason.

It has been a super hectic week so I haven't been out and about much with the camera. I did manage a late afternoon walk whilst visiting family in Stoke though and the sky treated us to one of those unexpected and completely jaw dropping displays for sunset. I couldn't find much to put in front of it...but I think it fits the theme!

sunset small (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
That'll float a few boats I imagine, "cracking" sky as the saying goes.

Back