Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Anyhow, my point regarding the 50mm was that although it may not be technically as good, the images are still lovely, just for completely different reasons.

Zeiss has the undefinable 'pop', Canon appear to have an inherent colour/contrast that's really appealing.

DXO and all that nonsense can't measure that sort of stuff. I couldn't care less about critical sharpness or what those extreme corners are like that nobody is ever going to look at, and neither do my clients.

It's a bit like the 5D, I've gone from a current technogical beast in the a7II to a 10 year old 5D. Whilst on virtually every level the a7II smashes it, there is something a bit magical about the 5D files. Pretty interesting and a real eye opener for me.

Anyhow, my point regarding the 50mm was that although it may not be technically as good, the images are still lovely, just for completely different reasons.

Zeiss has the undefinable 'pop', Canon appear to have an inherent colour/contrast that's really appealing.

DXO and all that nonsense can't measure that sort of stuff. I couldn't care less about critical sharpness or what those extreme corners are like that nobody is ever going to look at, and neither do my clients.

It's a bit like the 5D, I've gone from a current technogical beast in the a7II to a 10 year old 5D. Whilst on virtually every level the a7II smashes it, there is something a bit magical about the 5D files. Pretty interesting and a real eye opener for me.
Why would the 5d files or any other camera matter?
What matters is what you can do with those files.

Don't you shoot in raw?

Why would the 5d files or any other camera matter?
What matters is what you can do with those files.

It's not quite that simple, if it's inherent to the camera/lens it's doing it consistently, not so easy when trying to second guess that in Lightroom. Plus, in my book, even a second of saved editing time is a second of my life I'm more than happy to take back.

I read an article recently where a wedding photographer ditched his superior Sigma 35 Art for the Canon L, simply because it was more consistent in colour with his other Canon glass and therefore saved him a silly number of hours over the course of a year.

Just did a quick search and there is an awful lot of discussion/love for the original 5D files. It may be just outputting a RAW file but they definitely have a certain look with minimal editing. I can spot my 5D files (old and new) from a mile off wheb browsing my Flickr.

Wow it good to see so many 6D users in the 6D OWNERS thread helping out other owners and it not descend into a p***ing competition, oh wait...

If this is aimed at me @Sharky then i was simply answering a question raised earlier on. No one has been falling out at all so not sure what you're reading or at least what you think you're reading. Chill your beans.
Wasn't aimed specifically at you just in general at the last however many posts in the grand nikcan cycle. But i leapt with both feet without looking so move along nothing to see ;)

Sorry Sharky, my bad, I should have created a new thread instead of asking comparison 6d vs d750 here. I just thought here would be a good place to find some 6d owner but i understand it's likely a bit out of topic for this thread.

Sorry Sharky, my bad, I should have created a new thread instead of asking comparison 6d vs d750 here. I just thought here would be a good place to find some 6d owner but i understand it's likely a bit out of topic for this thread.
Don't worry :)

I have the 6D/7D combo and it works well. The 7D has more focusing options and of course the crop factor is there when more reach is required. And then the 6D comes in to its own when I pair it with my full frame 12-24. Wi-Fi feature handy in the field and occasional use of (battery draining) GPS is handy.

I have the 6D/7D combo and it works well. The 7D has more focusing options and of course the crop factor is there when more reach is required. And then the 6D comes in to its own when I pair it with my full frame 12-24. Wi-Fi feature handy in the field and occasional use of (battery draining) GPS is handy.

Same combo for me 6D +7D works very well fairly new owner of the 6D moved up from a 5D classic which i actually miss just something about 5D raw files i like

Looking for recommendations for a cable release for the 6D unless another option is available for long exposures?
thankyou

thanks Joe,just one thing worries me,on amazon a guy reviewing the Canon one said a friend of his had a knock off remote for his Canon 7D and after a month or so the pin broke in the connector in camera and he had to replace the camera,not sure how true but what do you think,i will keep that link ready but see if anyone has a second hand canon first.stupid money though.

I was thinking that Phil,I've not looked into it properly yet but I'm assuming from your reply it allows you to set different timed shots then?
thanks

thanks Joe,just one thing worries me,on amazon a guy reviewing the Canon one said a friend of his had a knock off remote for his Canon 7D and after a month or so the pin broke in the connector in camera and he had to replace the camera,not sure how true but what do you think,i will keep that link ready but see if anyone has a second hand canon first.stupid money though.

If you are careful with it and don't ram it in and just be careful your be fine, I wouldn't worry about that just be gentle :D

@SsSsSsSsSnake You can use the app on Bulb and it tells you how long the exposure is you just have to hold the button down, only downside to that is it will kill your batteries really quickly and it requires you to have a smartphone if you don't have already so for some people it maybe a costly route. Here is a pic of the app in operation in Bulb mode

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441540445.468829.jpg

@SsSsSsSsSnake You can use the app on Bulb and it tells you how long the exposure is you just have to hold the button down, only downside to that is it will kill your batteries really quickly and it requires you to have a smartphone if you don't have already so for some people it maybe a costly route. Here is a pic of the app in operation in Bulb mode

View attachment 45672
Sorry, which button , you mean on the iphone, bit of a pain if you need 30 mins?is this the only way other than a cable?
Thanks

I can't get the link to the earlier post suggesting the Amazon one to work but I'm guessing it's similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...rvalometer&dpPl=1&dpID=51WcADE2-kL&ref=plSrch

The app has its limitations and I find an intervalometer much simpler. I bought the Canon TC-80n3 years ago and it's great but I know several people who have the (significantly) cheaper versions and they do exactly the same job.
Thanks Mondo but whats an inverlometer?

Intervalometer is fancy word for shutter release with timer.

You use it as a bog standard single shutter release. Set it to bulb and it'll lock your shutter open until you release the lock (no need to keep hold of it) or you can set it to take a series of exposures at times intervals etc etc. Very handy and very simple.

It's a timer that can be set for multiple images - for creating a timelapse, the clue is in the name intervalometer :)

But in reality, once a self timer has a clock function built in, it's easy to add a repeat function, so most remote programmable self timers are in fact intervalometers.

what's the app like? especially in low light?

Pretty good depending on what your doing, the app shows exactly the same view as live view does, so if you have a good exposure set then you can see it fine, but if your doing star trails etc. you probably won't see very well, basically its the same as live view what you can see on your phone/tablet etc.

The app itself is fairly good, it lets you focus and change Apature/Speed/ISO etc depending on mode. However I often have to fiddle about a bit to get it to connect to my phone, the tablet is better, but I find the WiFi set up on the camera very unintuitive.

I used the app over the weekend and it informed me that a new app has been released but I haven't tried it yet

Here's a picture of me rather drunk on cocktails on a 'hawaiian night'... taken with the 6D :)

IMG_2957.jpg

Back