Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I think the only thing that will evolve at this point will be the iso/noise to the point in 10 years where it is possible to get grain free images in no light whatsoever ,..... it wont make better pics though will just change the way we shoot imho

I think the only thing that will evolve at this point will be the iso/noise to the point in 10 years where it is possible to get grain free images in no light whatsoever ,..... it wont make better pics though will just change the way we shoot imho

Organic sensors will bring immense dynamic range too :)

just enjoy the full frame goodness @EdinDevon .................. its a great camera learn to love it never had a 400d so cant advise on that though

You'll love it.. it's like a whole new world of goodness!

Uuurrgghhh. Not liking the sound of that!
Don't worry, I've not had to do a single adjustment with any of the 10+ lenses I have :)

Personally I'd avoid MA unless you really need to.

Last edited:
it's been fine since
You shouldn't have to adjust *all* your lenses! They should work fine straight out of the box, unless they're really old or obscure lenses not designed for a FF Canon.

You shouldn't have to adjust *all* your lenses! They should work fine straight out of the box, unless they're really old or obscure lenses not designed for a FF Canon.

Surely this is down to tolerances. If the lenses are at one end of the tolerance scale, and the camera the other, then things will need adjusting.

I needed to adjust half of my lenses on my 6D for best performance.

It also depends on whether you are looking for great performance wide open or not. Stopped down the problem doesn't seem anywhere near as obvious.
All my lenses have been fine, even wide open. If any lens isn't as it should perform even wide open it should go back.

If that was the case Jim why would manufacturers add the option to make adjustments?
I'm not saying it's not needed with some situations, but to have to MA every lens on a particular body is highly unusual and would point to something being a little misaligned in the body - it would certainly make me a little wary. And some people go way OTT with MA when they don't need to.

Personally, I guess I've been lucky, I've never had to MA anything on my MA enabled bodies :)

That article sums up why we should pretty much leave it alone (and send a lens back if theres an issue).

Only 2% of lenses need adjustment or have issues, then we come to "extreme tester guy";

"At the other end of the spectrum is Extreme Tester Guy (and you are a guy, there are no Extreme Tester females) who will spend 16 hours testing a lens in every way possible including the laser collimator he keeps in the garage. He’ll send back 6 copies to get the perfect lens which he won’t take pictures with because a new lens has just been released and he’s too busy getting a perfect copy of that one. This article will just bore Extreme Tester Guy, he really wants to be a lens reviewer."

MA feeds far to many people's OCD :)

So when the test shows suddenness on the same lens on 5 different body, does he return all 5

No, don't be silly (you mean sending the bodies back?)

Common sense there would suggest its the lens.

But ALL your lenses being out on one body - that (common sense) would suggest an issue with the body.

But any new lens I wasn't happy with would be replaced, full stop, no MA, back to the factory. Luckily I've never had to do that.

Last edited:
I think we will have to agree to disagree, I personally don't buy lenses brand new so doubt the manufacturer would cover them.

having the ability was new to me with this camera and has solved soft shots, so it's something for a newcomer like me to be aware of should they need to

Think I would only send a lens back if it couldn't adjust to sharp within the MA settings. Of course It would have to be checked on another camera just to make sure

Think I would only send a lens back if it couldn't adjust to sharp within the MA settings. Of course It would have to be checked on another camera just to make sure
If you MA 90% of zooms at one focal length, you throw it out at other lengths. That's why it would always go back, an MA'd lens would always be suspect for me.

Primes you can get away with but all lenses should still focus correctly straight out of the box.

I think they probably do - but theres always discrepancies between camera bodies and lenses - all sorts of combinations and conditions can affect the equipment.

If you MA 90% of zooms at one focal length, you throw it out at other lengths. That's why it would always go back, an MA'd lens would always be suspect for me.

Primes you can get away with but all lenses should still focus correctly straight out of the box.

If you keep sending lenses back until you get a set that match your camera body what are you going to do if you get a new camera and discover that all your lenses are "out" again? Send the body back or start on the lenses again?

I suppose we've all seen this...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

But I've never had to send a lens back.

Plenty of people do send lenses back as you suggested in your earlier post.

From the linked article...

"Addendum I recently saw the greatest real life example of this ever, in an online forum where the poster states ’Canon’s New XX camera sucks’ (I’m eliminating names so the bots don’t pick this up and repeat it.) He goes on to say he had a body for several years, and a hand picked collection of lenses that he knew were perfect because he’d gone through several copies of each to get the sharpest one. Now he bought a new body and all his lenses sucked, and he’d now exchanged bodies twice and they still all sucked. So here is the perfect example of a person starting with a camera at the edge of tolerance, choosing through multiple selection a set of edge-of-tolerance lenses, and now generalizing that all the new bodies suck. The sad part is the new body has microfocus adjustment and he never even tried it. Just sent copy after copy back to the store."

Last edited:
From the linked article...

"Addendum I recently saw the greatest real life example of this ever, in an online forum where the poster states ’Canon’s New XX camera sucks’ (I’m eliminating names so the bots don’t pick this up and repeat it.) He goes on to say he had a body for several years, and a hand picked collection of lenses that he knew were perfect because he’d gone through several copies of each to get the sharpest one. Now he bought a new body and all his lenses sucked, and he’d now exchanged bodies twice and they still all sucked. So here is the perfect example of a person starting with a camera at the edge of tolerance, choosing through multiple selection a set of edge-of-tolerance lenses, and now generalizing that all the new bodies suck. The sad part is the new body has microfocus adjustment and he never even tried it. Just sent copy after copy back to the store."
I know a lot of people do send them back, but I'd put money on a lot of MA'd lenses that have been made slightly worse by the operators OCD and the fact they aren't happy with anything :) And then sent them back.

In seriousness though, a lot of lenses you can't MA without compromising. I've played with it out of pure curiosity on a 70-200 and a 24-105. When tweaked slightly at the wide end, they'd be massively off at the tele end.

I think it should be used with caution.

But my issue isn't with MA'ing stuff, it's with the poster that had to MA all his lenses. All of them? Am I the only one that would be concerned by that?

Last edited:
But my issue isn't with MA'ing stuff, it's with the poster that had to MA all his lenses. All of them? Am I the only one that would be concerned by that?

I think these days there's maybe a tendency to pixel peep at very high magnification and worry about things that will rarely if ever be an issue in the final image. Not saying that that's the poster you mention, but I think that sometimes minor focus misses can be a pixel peeping only issue.

Jim

I did them all as i only have a few lenses and the prime and main zoom were soft, so while i had it all set up i did the other 2, one needed next to no adjustment, but the statement was true

Back