Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I have a Tamron 150-600 lens on my 6D and I have had focusing issues so I just went out and had a play. What I found was at close range, about less than 10m if I set the focus to infinity and then autofocus it fails ti focus, however if I set the focus ring to the closest and then autofocus it seems to focus quite well. So I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this issue?

BTW I'm going to post this in the Tamron thread if I can find it!

Just for into I just checked the camera settings and the "Lens drive when AF impossible" was set to "0:Continue focus search" but I set it just in case and tried it but no luck.

Any other ideas?

I live in Market Daryton, Shropshire. I have a problem I just cant seem to sort out and would like to try and meet up with a 6D owner, exchange body, lens etc to see if it is my lens or my body that is giving me the problems! I have a Canon 100-400mm Mk 1 lens and a 6d body. I just cannot get a sharp image. I have tried Reikan Focal, no joy, but I did calibrate the lenses inside with what I thought was average light. Still cant seem to get that crisp image though! Cheers.

I live in Market Daryton, Shropshire. I have a problem I just cant seem to sort out and would like to try and meet up with a 6D owner, exchange body, lens etc to see if it is my lens or my body that is giving me the problems! I have a Canon 100-400mm Mk 1 lens and a 6d body. I just cannot get a sharp image. I have tried Reikan Focal, no joy, but I did calibrate the lenses inside with what I thought was average light. Still cant seem to get that crisp image though! Cheers.
Inside?

What kind of distance were you setting it at?

I'll guess it doesn't compare to the distance you're shooting at.

No UV filter I hope? The 100-400 hates UV filters!

I read on here that the lens hates UV filters, I had taken the UV filter off the last time I calibrated, the distance was around 9 metres, and that was a struggle to get 9 metres, and then light the target up!

I read on here that the lens hates UV filters, I had taken the UV filter off the last time I calibrated, the distance was around 9 metres, and that was a struggle to get 9 metres, and then light the target up!
Did you need to adjust the calibration (I assume you mean micro adjust)? If not that could be part of the issue, Canon lenses on Canon bodies should work well straight out of the box, certainly all the Canon lenses I've used have done, on all my bodies.

Yes micro adjust! Sorry
That could be your problem. Micro adjusting a large zoom is asking for trouble. If you get it sharp at one focal length it'll be way out at another. Did MA make it worse? I'd reset it to zero and shoot without the UV.

Oh and MA and calibration are very different. When you MA a lens you're actually taking it **out** of its factory calibration. If I ever had a Canon lens that didn't focus correctly on a Canon body straight out of the box I wouldn't faff with MA - it would go back to the shop :)

Last edited:
The 6D has MFA for both ends of a zoom lens to you should be able to set it to play nice with the 100-400 :)

The 6D has MFA for both ends of a zoom lens to you should be able to set it to play nice with the 100-400 :)
But chances are it'll still be out in the middle bits :)

TP'ers

I've managed to convince myself that the 40D needs a newer buddy, and 6D is on it's way.
I've looked through most of the thread, and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of what I should be needing to do to take advantage of the difference in 7yrs of Canon tech.
Sure I'll be playing with it and snapping away, but is there anything on the settings that I should be looking for to help me in the first instance?

TP'ers

I've managed to convince myself that the 40D needs a newer buddy, and 6D is on it's way.
I've looked through most of the thread, and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of what I should be needing to do to take advantage of the difference in 7yrs of Canon tech.
Sure I'll be playing with it and snapping away, but is there anything on the settings that I should be looking for to help me in the first instance?

You can push the ISO higher with less worry... Use the wifi function. Auto ISO?

wondering if someone is able to help please...

I have the following lenses to use on my 40D

Sigma 50mm 1.4
Sigma 50-150mm 2.8
Sigma 28-70 2.8

I have read that the 50-150 will not work across the whole focal range on the 6d. Is that correct?
I love the results that it produces on the 40D (I'm a keen amateur). What lens would users suggest I need to save up for in order to get a similar reach on the 6d?

Am I correct in assuming the others are OK?

Lastly - what is the min version of LR that will read the files? I have v3 .....

Last edited:
wondering if someone is able to help please...

I have the following lenses to use on my 40D

Sigma 50mm 1.4
Sigma 50-150mm 2.8
Sigma 28-70 2.8

I have read that the 50-150 will not work across the whole focal range on the 6d. Is that correct?
I love the results that it produces on the 40D (I'm a keen amateur). What lens would users suggest I need to save up for in order to get a similar reach on the 6d?

Am I correct in assuming the others are OK?

Lastly - what is the min version of LR that will read the files? I have v3 .....

Yes other lenses should be OK. Equivalent for full frame is the 70-200 f2.8

Canon 6D still a good camera to buy? Thinking of upgrading from a 60D
It'll always be a good camera to buy! A good camera is always a good camera.

I'm thinking of going for a 6d with 24-105L. I'm sure its been discussed in the thread somewhere, but how do people find the auto focus system? Centre point is obviously spot on but I do like to use surrounding focus points and wondered are they as bad as they seem on paper?

No probs whatsoever with the AF.

By that you mean you haven't had any issues with any of the 11 focus points? What kind of shooting have you done?

Just bought a smartphone,never used one before,i have got some photography apps now,remote shooting,ND exposure & other things.
It is brilliant what you can do with the wifi on it,so waitimg for a decent day to get out & try them outside instead of indoors.
Anyone else using the wifi & apps.

By that you mean you haven't had any issues with any of the 11 focus points? What kind of shooting have you done?

I have the Canon EOS 6D for about a month. I used it to take landscape and portraits most of the time. The AF has no problem with these kind of situations. I also tested the AF with a subject running towards me. No issue either. It is not superfast like the 7D or 1D but it works.

Pretty much everything, sports, weddings, macro, landscapes.... But I select the AF points manually, so rarely use, or need to use the outer points.

Last edited:
I just sold my 60D and 5 lenses to purchase the 6D, 16-35mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.8 STM. Add the 70-300mm L i already have and i'm a very happy man. Can't wait to see the low light performance and put the 16-35mm into action for my architectural and interior photography.

Taking advantage of some of the deals at the moment, the proceeds from the 60D and lenses covered almost exactly the new kit :)

even in 10 years ;)
I don't see why not? What's going to happen in 10 years that will degrade it's IQ ;)

My 50d is nearly 8 years old and it still produces stunning images (not that I'm saying the below is "stunning" but you get my drift!)

Running by -Odd Jim-

Last edited:
I'm sure there is new tech out there that is not being released on general release... Mach 2, Mach 3, quattro..... So whilst I enjoy the enthusiasm, I don't think that my photography skills will hinder me using the camera in 10yrs....

Back