Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Have you looked at the tamron 24-70 2.8 is?

Actually I haven't. Have to admit I'm a bit of a Canon snob and have only ever bought Canon lenses and would prefer to keep doing so, however I will have a look at it.

Last edited:
Camera Labs review of the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, which is a 2012 model, says in its verdict,

"Needs stopping down to f8 to produce good full-frame/FX-corners."

A 2.8 lens that needs stopping down to f8 to produce good corners doesn't sound great, does it? :thinking:

Camera Labs review of the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, which is a 2012 model, says in its verdict,

"Needs stopping down to f8 to produce good full-frame/FX-corners."

A 2.8 lens that needs stopping down to f8 to produce good corners doesn't sound great, does it? :thinking:

Depends what you are shooting. If it's a landscape then the chances are you will be shooting stopped down anyway. You are right though, this appears to be the lens' weakness. That said, the original (and more expensive) Canon 24-70L features field curvature meaning that it's just as bad. But heavier!

Last edited:
Some nice images there mf-g.

Went to buy the 6D body on Monday but every shop was sold out and weren't expecting any new stock till the new year! However left my number with one shop and they phoned me back on Wednesday to say they had one. Went in the next day but it turns out they had a 6D + 24-105L f4 kit and they were just going to remove the lens, which wasn't what I really wanted. Anyway after checking the kit price I decided to go with the 6D + 24-105L combo and more than happy that I have. Cost including VAT refund when I leave next month was £1740, so a pretty good price I reckon. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to give it a bit of a workout but impressions so far are very good, including build quality which is excellent. :D

PS It uses the same battery as my 7D so that's a wee bonus.

Last edited:
tempted to buy the canon 6D, did any one thing about the Nikon D600 also? seems to be the 6D's rival??

As most of the purchasers of the 6D will probably already be Canon users then probably not.

Really wanting one, but I want to be able to take photos of F1 later in the year, is the autofocus going to be good enough? And does anybody use the wi-fi feature a lot?

Gents - got my 6D through today but am having a slight panic as it has 6D(N) on the bottom. The (N) indicating no wifi or GPS I believe. It's still charging up so I haven't tried it yet but can anybody confirm if theirs has (N) or (WG) on the bottom ?

I believed I was buying the full fat version so will be a tad disappointed if the wrong thing has arrived.

It came from Panamoz btw...

I'm actually surprised they make it without WiFi and GPS as these are two of the new features that they've been promoting.

Mine is a WG version although I haven't actually tried either yet.

Ok I'm confused , I've flicked through here but can't find the answer . Does the 6D have WiFi file transfer ? Some say yes others say no . I can't find any examples on YouTube and Canon are saying it has and no WiFi adaptor is needed no available . If I wanted to use in a studio environment and send files straight to pc or work at events and send straight to pc for viewing / printing can you do this ?

Enjoying getting to grips with my 6D - the first full-frame digital I've had. Boy, that 24-105 is nice, though it all seems pretty heavy after my Panasonic micro-4/3 stuff!

Some of the best shots I got on my Panasonic GH2 were with an elderly 50mm Olympus Zuiko lens, so I got an adapter to try it on the 6D, but the results haven't been quite so encouraging. Perhaps I'm spoiled now by owning an L-series lens. Perhaps I've just got a sensor which can show up the limitations of my lenses, rather than the other way around. And perhaps I'm just not quite so good at focusing through an optical viewfinder these days as I was through a zoomed digital one - ironic, really!

Any thoughts/recommendations on using elderly manual lenses with the 6D gratefully received!

Otherwise, loving my 6D. Took this today with the 24-105 zoom:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quentinsf/8376292047/

BigJohn - the 6D, unless you get the rare 'N' version, does have wifi, and you can use it to do tethered shooting under the control of a PC/Mac or a smartphone.

One thing to note - you have to run the EOS utility on the other device and tell it to fetch images from the camera - you can't send them from the camera to the device.

If you use the remote-control function to shoot using a remote device, the images you take are automatically transferred across, but otherwise you need to initiate it yourself.
It's not fast, if you're using RAW, but it works fine.

Not sure if that answered your question!

Quentin, have you got some samples to show? Remember if you are shooting at apertures faster than f/2.8, your viewfinder won't give an accurate representation of where the focus is. I swapped my screen out for the EG-S screen which is a bit darker but allows much more critical focusing at wide apertures e.g. f/1.4. Liveview will be fine of course.

BigJohn - the 6D, unless you get the rare 'N' version, does have wifi, and you can use it to do tethered shooting under the control of a PC/Mac or a smartphone.

One thing to note - you have to run the EOS utility on the other device and tell it to fetch images from the camera - you can't send them from the camera to the device.

If you use the remote-control function to shoot using a remote device, the images you take are automatically transferred across, but otherwise you need to initiate it yourself.
It's not fast, if you're using RAW, but it works fine.

Not sure if that answered your question!

Yeh thanks for that , it seems like a very long winded way of doing it . I was hoping to just be able to shoot WiFi tethered and images transfer automatically like you'd get with a WiFi file transfer attached to the camera . That rules out event use for me then :(

Last edited:
Well I finally made a decision and went for a 6D, it was a close call but I felt the 5D2 was getting a bit long in the tooth.

The camera arrived today and I cant wait to get out and about, but I have a couple of questions.

What screen protectors are good to use?

Manualfocus_g, I see you use the Eg-S focus screen, where did you get it? I can only seem to find Eg-A ones available for the 6D.

Many thanks.

Got my replacement 6D through from Panamoz - a 6D(WG) this time!

They handled it very well so have redeemed themselves after the initial error.

Not much to report so far but have tried a couple of test shots with the 16-35 on - looks very very sharp! Got the wifi connected to my iPhone - seems to work ok but thought there might be more functionality (eg a shutter lock ) ? Anybody done much with the wifi ?

How did you get hold of them? I've used the contact us section twice in 3 days and i've got no response.
Considering I want to buy a 6D you'd think they'd respond pretty sharpish!

Not much to report so far but have tried a couple of test shots with the 16-35 on - looks very very sharp! Got the wifi connected to my iPhone - seems to work ok but thought there might be more functionality (eg a shutter lock ) ? Anybody done much with the wifi ?

Great news, well done for getting it sorted :)

Still not heard anything from Panamoz...

Now this is a pretty basic question and i'm pretty sure I know the answer, but confirmation would be appreciated.
As the 6D has no onboard flash, to use a speedlight off camera I'd need to buy either a master flash (580ex for example) and use as a remote, a remote trigger or an (e)TTL cord? Am I right in thinking with all 3 options you get the option of high speed sync too?

This is shaping up to be my next camera. Some awesome examples so far.

Dont get the DXO scoring tho, i thought the DR on this sensor was supposed to be impressive yet theyve marked it down for it.

Well first impressions are not good........should have bought a 5d mk3.....

The dial at the back to cycle through stuff is very plasticky and way too small. All the buttons seem a bit naff,

And where is the ipad app for remote. Looks like there isn't one, which is just garbage.

Cannot use wifi with movie.....

On the whole a dissapointing start, for the price you would expect a bit more "pro"

Really have dropped a clanger with this camera, no PC socket either...

Must read more !!!!! just assumed because of its price it was a pro/consumer, is very much consumer :(

Will have to do as a backup to the 5dmk2 's

Last edited:
Out of interest, what do people think the selling price will settle on in the next 6 months?

Will it drop any lower than what its at currently following the usual trend of RRP then dropping.

Just ordered my 6D from HDEW. Look forward to contributing to this forum over the next few weeks as I discover its strengths and weaknesses.

Got my 6D and 50 1.4 from Panamoz a few weeks ago. Saved over. £400 from buying UK! Great camera love everything about it

Hey Guys, this is to those of you who have a Canon 6D.

I've currently got a Canon 50D (broken), and am planning on moving onto the Canon 6D.

So my current lenses are the 50mm 1.8 MK2 and the 17-50mm Tamron VC (latest version)

Would these be adequate for the camera? I plan to upgrade my lenses eventually. But what I don't want to find out, is the picture quality is poorer than my 50D due to the demand on the lenses.

As for the features of the 6D, its fits my requirements of a complete amateur who only takes pics of family and kids in the house and at family functions.

Cheers

Back