Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I took my new 6D for it's first outing today and I can not believe the difference in ISO handling compared to my 7D :wideyed:

I've got shots at ISO1600 than do not need any noise reduction at all (IMO etc)

it is a cracking camera very impressed with mine teamed with 24-70 and 70-200 its awesome :)

Ordered mine today! Itching for it to be delivered. Anyone able to remind me of third party batteries that the camera and OEM charger are happy with?

6D back from Elstree today (exactly 10 working days).

AF sensor tested and recalibrated... was kind of hoping they would replace the whole sensor but seems to be working great! No more hunting or problems with that AF point.

I have been watching this thread with interest, because I may well convert from Sony to Canon, and the 6D would be an ideal introduction to FF for me.
I was wondering if anyone used other manufactuerer's lenses with their 6D (other than M42 which I have seen on this thread). I have some classic Minolta MD Rokkor and Nikkormat era Nikkor lenses, and I know that adaptors are available for both these fittings, so I was wondering if anyone has used them.

Andy.

You can't use MD lenses without an optical adapted which will impact IQ. I've tried the Nikkor 24/2.8 ai on the 6D (excellent lens), 20/4 on the 5D (also excellent) and I have the 55/1.2 pre-ai lens which is, um, fun! The 105/2.5 was a good one from my 5D days.

Thans James.

Can anyone comment on the non-Canon battery grips please?
I also went from the 600 to the 6D, I have the neweer grip and it's the mutts nutts! i also got a third party pair of batteries for £15.00, they seem fine, took a charge no problem, but yet to try them out for a day. I think I need to try and borrow. a better lens to see the full benefit of this camera though. with WIFI on and GPS the battery does not last long.

with WIFI on and GPS the battery does not last long.

I generally leave the wifi off, but turn the GPS on as soon as turn camera on. I've got it set to 2min updates with the data logger turned on, I've not found this to impact the battery life in any noticeable way. You do need to turn GPS off though before you turn the camera off at the end of the day, or stick it in the boot etc as the camera will carry on checking for GPS, wish this could be changed in software to have GPS linked to the main power switch.

After a lot of consideration and lurking on this thread, I have just ordered a 6D plus 24-105 f4L from Panamoz.
Can anyone tell me roughly how long it will take to arrive?
I am going to be like a cat on a hot tin roof until it arrives.

Anything I've ordered from panamoz usually takes 3-4 working days , from confirmation of shipping email they send you.. Seems like longer when you're waiting to get your hands on it though !!

They were great, packed out the venue too which is nice to see mid week. Very very polished (maybe a bit too much for my taste) act and sound. Normally I'd have got stuck in more in the front row but to be honest I thought I'd got the shots I needed and that any more would have involved standing on teenagers...!

They were great, packed out the venue too which is nice to see mid week. Very very polished (maybe a bit too much for my taste) act and sound. Normally I'd have got stuck in more in the front row but to be honest I thought I'd got the shots I needed and that any more would have involved standing on teenagers...!

Sweet... Was introduced to their album several months ago and simply can't stop listening to it... Great sound...!!!!!

Who was the female support...?

Last edited:
The "Eagle has landed".
My Canon 6D with 24-105 F4L has arrived.
The battery is charged and I am looking forward to using it.

I've had my 6D for a few months now, bought from panamoz and arrived in 3/4 days i think. Its absolutely amazing.
In low light its incredible and I've had useable images at ISO8000 - my 550D i had beforehand was virtually unusable at anything past iso800.
The dynamic range is brilliant and whats more the raw files arent much bigger in size than the ones from the 550d but they hold so much more detail.
I use a 17-40L, 50mm 1.4 and a 100-400L and I couldnt ask for more from them to be honest. :)

One thing I discovered: if it does f all when connected via USB, disable Wifi in the menu. For some reason, having wifi enabled, even if turned off, completely disables the USB connection!

Magic Lantern got installed today: yay!

I've had my 6D for a few months now, bought from panamoz and arrived in 3/4 days i think. Its absolutely amazing.
In low light its incredible and I've had useable images at ISO8000 - my 550D i had beforehand was virtually unusable at anything past iso800.
The dynamic range is brilliant and whats more the raw files arent much bigger in size than the ones from the 550d but they hold so much more detail.
I use a 17-40L, 50mm 1.4 and a 100-400L and I couldnt ask for more from them to be honest. :)

That was my main reason for buying the 6D. My Sony A700 is just really noisy at 800 and above, and is only good for shooting "gritty" portraits at that range and above.
I am working my way through the menu system at the moment, but I'm having a little problem how to select and keep ISO.

to be fair to the 550D you can get reasonable images up to 1600 or 3200 in black and white with a bit of NR in post.

For the 6D, hit the ISO button and either leave in Auto or manually set. menu lets you turn on auto ISO override, too

One thing I discovered: if it does f all when connected via USB, disable Wifi in the menu. For some reason, having wifi enabled, even if turned off, completely disables the USB connection!

Magic Lantern got installed today: yay!
What does magic lantern on the 6d give it out of interest (I'm out walking the dogs so can't really Google!)

What does magic lantern on the 6d give it out of interest (I'm out walking the dogs so can't really Google!)
A lot!

Focus peaking, zebras, magic zoom, trap focus, lots of control and visibility plus shed loads more. Wouldn't be without it.

A lot!

Focus peaking, zebras, magic zoom, trap focus, lots of control and visibility plus shed loads more. Wouldn't be without it.
Cool, will take a good look at this later :)

Yeah, its great. The intervalometer is handy, too. Downgrade to 1.1.3 firmware first and then apply ML

I took it out for a play at Brands Hatch yesterday lunchtime, so this is my first real shoot with it.

16677644138_0b3804cbfd_z.jpg

16677643698_55b2b7537f_z.jpg

16677643108_0af2f9b213_z.jpg

The OH let me treat myself to a 70 - 200L f4 USM, and this was the first time using it. I was worried that it wasn't snapping into focus quick enough but the results seem to confirm that it was.

I have just bought a new laptop (well ordered it, it arrives Wednesday). My current i3 was struggling with photoshop so soon will have an Lenovo Y50-70 i7 with 16GB RAM. It has a 1TB Hard drive with an 8GB SSHD - will this cope with photoshop CC & Lightroom ok?

Sorry if this is wrong area but I will be using it with 6d images (lol)

I have just bought a new laptop (well ordered it, it arrives Wednesday). My current i3 was struggling with photoshop so soon will have an Lenovo Y50-70 i7 with 16GB RAM. It has a 1TB Hard drive with an 8GB SSHD - will this cope with photoshop CC & Lightroom ok?

Sorry if this is wrong area but I will be using it with 6d images (lol)

Yes.

Hi all at the moment i am torn between looking at the Fuji X-T1 & the canon 6D for better high ISO.
Any chance of anyone posting some jpegs straight from camera at high ISO,s to help me make a decision.:)

There's some in this thread!

Hi all at the moment i am torn between looking at the Fuji X-T1 & the canon 6D for better high ISO.
Any chance of anyone posting some jpegs straight from camera at high ISO,s to help me make a decision.:)

The 6D is definitely better. Ive used both.

Thanks guys i think i will be looking for a 6D then.:)

Back