Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I never wanted this camera, I didn't like it when i had the 5D3 and 1DIV, selling the 5D3 and going back to a 5D2 then selling that to get the 1D4 I've been through a fair cycle of cameras.

Come christmas time, I'm left with 1DIV and 5D2, came into some money so gave the 5D2 away to my friend who was struggling to save for a 70D so that made her day. Then I got the 1DX and then decided that I still hate the 6D. I bought one off here to try out and see if it was any good. Paid £675 with a low count on it, Ive been using it along with the 1DX and finally sold the 1DIV. The 6D now always comes with me everywhere, what a brilliant camera. And the best thing for me was the wifi, I can sit in the warmth of the car whilst the camera is on a tripod snapping away and sending them to my iPad pro and editing them on lightroom on the iPad. Amazing, and to think I hated it :p

6d ii this year? Thoughts?
I'm not generally one for speculation...

It'll not be this year, Canon have to get a 5dIV out to give it some space, next year at the earliest then.

But the dual pixel AF and touchscreen from the 1dxII look like they'll be the obvious upgrades, but as with the 1dx it'll please videographers more than photographers.

I doubt I'll get the upgrades I'd want, as Canon appear very keen to keep 'pro' features from 'amateur' cameras, what's ridiculous is that it should get the AF from the 70d but the 1dxII AF system hasn't had that much of an upgrade.

I never wanted this camera, I didn't like it when i had the 5D3 and 1DIV, selling the 5D3 and going back to a 5D2 then selling that to get the 1D4 I've been through a fair cycle of cameras.

Come christmas time, I'm left with 1DIV and 5D2, came into some money so gave the 5D2 away to my friend who was struggling to save for a 70D so that made her day. Then I got the 1DX and then decided that I still hate the 6D. I bought one off here to try out and see if it was any good. Paid £675 with a low count on it, Ive been using it along with the 1DX and finally sold the 1DIV. The 6D now always comes with me everywhere, what a brilliant camera. And the best thing for me was the wifi, I can sit in the warmth of the car whilst the camera is on a tripod snapping away and sending them to my iPad pro and editing them on lightroom on the iPad. Amazing, and to think I hated it :p
You originally hated the 6d before you'd even tried it??

Yes as strange as that sounds. I knew it was smaller. Didn't like the look without the buttons on the left of the lcd. I wouldn't say I didn't like the images just the look of the camera. I didn't think it was as good as it is.

Also Jessops have the BGE13 grip for £99 just now.

Yes as strange as that sounds. I knew it was smaller. Didn't like the look without the buttons on the left of the lcd. I wouldn't say I didn't like the images just the look of the camera. I didn't think it was as good as it is.

Also Jessops have the BGE13 grip for £99 just now.
Not liking the fact it doesn't have buttons to the left of the screen is an odd reason to "hate" a camera (I mean, "hate" is a strong word!), maybe it's just me? Otherwise it follows the exact same Canon formula...

Last edited:
Not liking the fact it doesn't have buttons to the left of the screen is an odd reason to "hate" a camera (I mean, "hate" is a strong word!), maybe it's just me? Otherwise it follows the exact same Canon formula...

I can kind of understand his point, wouldn't go as far as saying i hate it but after being used to xxD series and 7D it does seem a bit bare to look at and I always think if it hasn't got a button for it I'm gonna end up digging through menus.

I can kind of understand his point, wouldn't go as far as saying i hate it but after being used to xxD series and 7D it does seem a bit bare to look at and I always think if it hasn't got a button for it I'm gonna end up digging through menus.
It does look that way at first glance and I know what you mean - my 50d is probably the best body I have for ergonomics. But I've not noticed the 6d is in anyway compromised by the more simplistic rear layout, if anything it's improved efficiency is a bonus. I also realised how little I used the joystick on the 50d !

It does look that way at first glance and I know what you mean - my 50d is probably the best body I have for ergonomics. But I've not noticed the 6d is in anyway compromised by the more simplistic rear layout, if anything it's improved efficiency is a bonus. I also realised how little I used the joystick on the 50d !

Yea no doubt get used to it within a few days, same as the 60D, that seemed a bit funny to use at first but soon got used to it. I will say though I did like the 50D size and controls, probarly my favourite camera to use.

Jesus mate, surely I'm entitled to my own opinion on how I feel about a camera? Maybe it is just you. I didn't like it. Is that better?

I just got mine this week, and I need to play with it to get used to the functions. Having had my 40d for a few years, you have a sense of familiarity so when something is not where you are used to, it can be annoying.
Other than that, I think it is a great bit of kit, teamed up with a 24-105.
Shame I have to upgrade my LR3 as it doesn't read the raw files. I was quite happy with it, not having to learn a new version.

Jesus mate, surely I'm entitled to my own opinion on how I feel about a camera? Maybe it is just you. I didn't like it. Is that better?
Yeah that's fine, nice one [emoji106]

I just got mine this week, and I need to play with it to get used to the functions. Having had my 40d for a few years, you have a sense of familiarity so when something is not where you are used to, it can be annoying.
Other than that, I think it is a great bit of kit, teamed up with a 24-105.
Shame I have to upgrade my LR3 as it doesn't read the raw files. I was quite happy with it, not having to learn a new version.
Can you not download a plug in? I know I did with CS3, not tried it with LR though as LR4 was fine out the box with the 6d.

No doubt it is discussed here somewhere, but if I wanted to buy a new 6D + 24-105 where might be the best place (price/service/cuts support) to buy? I'm more likely to go for UK sourced than grey import, without wanting to get into the debate.

No doubt it is discussed here somewhere, but if I wanted to buy a new 6D + 24-105 where might be the best place (price/service/cuts support) to buy? I'm more likely to go for UK sourced than grey import, without wanting to get into the debate.

Probably Amazon if I'm honest! You won't have the inflated shelf price from the High St and their customer service is second to none. If there's an issue they replace no quibbles. Just make sure it's direct rather than a reseller.

That said, they only seem to have the non L 24-105 (variable aperture STM version) available as a kit, though you can buy it separately.

Last edited:
well after a 40D, then a 5d mk2 then a 6D alongside that 5d2 i eventually simplified the bag and traded the 5d2 against a 2nd 6D body at Jessops, i got a good trade in plus a £120 trade in bonus plus 12 months interest free credit. I went in for a trade in quote and was surprised at the offer so i took it. I've found it to be the easiest camera to use and get into. First camera from Jessops too and highly recommended

Well I joined the club today. bought one as a second body which I will use for landscapes and Astro for a while. I know we hear a lot about grey import prices but today I bought from my local Canon pro dealer. Body and grip, brand new £1000. Never hurts to ask what the best deal is.

Well I joined the club today. bought one as a second body which I will use for landscapes and Astro for a while. I know we hear a lot about grey import prices but today I bought from my local Canon pro dealer. Body and grip, brand new £1000. Never hurts to ask what the best deal is.
That's a pretty good price especially as the OEM grip is circa £200!

Hi guys, i`ve recently had a problem where my 6d kept telling me all my sd cards are write protected is this common?

Not that I've seen. I take it the switch on the cards are in the normal position?

Thought so, but sometimes its the obvious :)

Well you won't beat my bit of good fortune. I was after a 6D last year as I was keen to go full frame after years of using a 40D. SO I posted a wanted ad on a website and waited. 2 weeks later someone got in touch that their brother had got the wrong camera and needed a crop sensor one as he wanted to do aircraft photography. He wanted to cover the cost of buying a Tamron 600mm zoom.

So I got a brand new sealed in the box never even had the battery put on charge 6D kit with the 24-105mm F4 L lens for £700.

I already had one of those lenses so sold that on line brand new in box for £400.

Result I got a brand new 6D for £300.

So happy I gave my 40D away to someone who wanted a DSLR but had no money at all.

And 6 months on I'm loving it - great image quality and noise levels are amazingly low I can hand held virtually anywhere. What a great little machine.

Well you won't beat my bit of good fortune. I was after a 6D last year as I was keen to go full frame after years of using a 40D. SO I posted a wanted ad on a website and waited. 2 weeks later someone got in touch that their brother had got the wrong camera and needed a crop sensor one as he wanted to do aircraft photography. He wanted to cover the cost of buying a Tamron 600mm zoom.

So I got a brand new sealed in the box never even had the battery put on charge 6D kit with the 24-105mm F4 L lens for £700.

I already had one of those lenses so sold that on line brand new in box for £400.

Result I got a brand new 6D for £300.

So happy I gave my 40D away to someone who wanted a DSLR but had no money at all.

And 6 months on I'm loving it - great image quality and noise levels are amazingly low I can hand held virtually anywhere. What a great little machine.
Lol, did they realise you can do aircraft photography with a full frame body :thinking:? Steal of a price too!

Yeah, but he was told to get a crop sensor camera such as a 7D/70D for the x1.6 magnification to help with the range. He didn't listen so after his brother educated him he decided to sell it and just wanted to cover the cost of the Tamron 100-600mm lens which I think was around £600-£700. Not sure what he did about getting a replacement body though.

Yeah, but he was told to get a crop sensor camera such as a 7D/70D for the x1.6 magnification to help with the range. He didn't listen so after his brother educated him he decided to sell it and just wanted to cover the cost of the Tamron 100-600mm lens which I think was around £600-£700. Not sure what he did about getting a replacement body though.
I hope they realised it doesn't give them extra magnification though, just a crop ;) Either way, you came out with a great deal!

A bit OT, sorry....

Last edited:
No problem - Yep, really pleased. I used the £400 to get my daughter started in photography as well. Got her a Canon 1100D with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, with bag, extra battery, and memory cards for £250. Now she tags along with me to various events and is member of the photography club with me. She's started entering competitions and had several images placed. She is only just turned 12 years old.

It's great to be able to share an interest like this together. We've been to Whitby and Tough Guy already and we're planning more outings for this year.

I'm still battling with decisions and have yet to finally decide whether a 6D is the right choice. I've read so many reviews and opinions on both the 6D and 7D II that I think I'm actually going crazy!

Obviously it's all down to what I want to shoot and I get that the 7D would be better for fast moving stuff, whereas the 6D excels at portraits and landscapes. I think the latter is more me, but to add to the confusion I do occasionally like to shoot an airshow. Would the 6D with its less advanced AF system cope with tracking aircraft in flight?

I can't afford to buy two cameras, so want to be confident that I buy the best for most of what I do, accepting that there may be the odd compromise.

I'm still battling with decisions and have yet to finally decide whether a 6D is the right choice. I've read so many reviews and opinions on both the 6D and 7D II that I think I'm actually going crazy!

Obviously it's all down to what I want to shoot and I get that the 7D would be better for fast moving stuff, whereas the 6D excels at portraits and landscapes. I think the latter is more me, but to add to the confusion I do occasionally like to shoot an airshow. Would the 6D with its less advanced AF system cope with tracking aircraft in flight?

I can't afford to buy two cameras, so want to be confident that I buy the best for most of what I do, accepting that there may be the odd compromise.

You can focus perfectly fine on the 6d especially using the centre focal point.

However if you want the best of both worlds then you could consider the 5d mark iii (if within budget)

Focusing speed and accuracy is also dependent on Lens choice. IIRC only the centre point on the 6D is F4 the other points are F2.8. While the 6D will focus with slower lenses it may take longer and not be as accurate, not really a problem with most things but with moving subjects I have found it struggles to track with an F5.6 lens. If you can afford an F2.8 telephoto lens then I imagine you won't have any problems at airshows.

I have shot an airshow with my 6D & 70mm-200m F4 L IS with no problem.:)

Focusing speed and accuracy is also dependent on Lens choice. IIRC only the centre point on the 6D is F4 the other points are F2.8. While the 6D will focus with slower lenses it may take longer and not be as accurate, not really a problem with most things but with moving subjects I have found it struggles to track with an F5.6 lens. If you can afford an F2.8 telephoto lens then I imagine you won't have any problems at airshows.
I don't find the 6d struggles at all with f/5.6 lenses. My 150-600 Sigma is as fast to AF on the 6d as my 70-200 f/2.8 :)

Decision made. Order placed. Now the wait. 6D, 24-105 and 17-40 on their way. Looking forward to postie delivering my new toys! :)

You won,t regret it.:)

Decision made. Order placed. Now the wait. 6D, 24-105 and 17-40 on their way. Looking forward to postie delivering my new toys! :)

Plenty of new toys.... Not fancy a telephoto? Or that not something you use?

I just put a 70-200 2.8 is onto the 6d and was grinning like a Cheshire cat....

Back