weekly eoSimon’s 52 for 2021

Hi Simon, welcome aboard!

It's probably worth linking from the main pic thread to your personal thread here so that people can come here to pass comment. (if you want comments!)

Very much on theme, if a little tight in terms of the crop for my liking. Also can't help thinking it would have looked cool with the axe embedded in the stump.

Good luck with the rest of the year!

Thanks H. yes the comments are helpful so will link in future.
The tightness of the crop was to ensure i met the fill the frame brief but good idea re: the axe. Really useful to get those opinions.

Hi Simon & welcome.

That's a good start. You could have had the axe stuck in the chopping block, but it's also good to see the blade too.

Nicely halved :)

Half
Nicely composed and the light looks good too.
I'd thought about doing something similar to this, I'll have to get my thinking cap on to find something different.

Half
Immediately though about the axe in the trunk to split the image, understand your crop for the technique, although I think "fill the frame" can be interpreted in many different ways

Good shot and fits the theme, I quite like being able to see the whole blade in the shot. Makes me miss the fire we used to have, there is nothing quite like a open fire on a cold winters night.

Week 9 Reflection and low key technique.
As noted this presented a few challenges in combining the theme and technique.
I was happy to have a go as 52 is a learning exercise for me as a beginner. I like the overall effect and am happy with the exposure but sharpness is not great. Trying to balance iso and DoF with a speed i could handhold. A tripod was really required (GAS). Anyway here it is...
here it is
DD78FF6D-1166-416A-8E5D-C1C2EA60B6FC.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the overall effect and am happy with the exposure but sharpness is not great.
Nice attempt, and I'd say that it covers both theme and techy.
More sharpness is easily attainable with an editing programme,
But as you have edit no ticked I won't show it.

Sheep, are these images straight out of camera? ( SooC)
There is also more detial to be had there.

And as already noted It must be tricky trying to stand in all that wind with 3 legs :D

Nice attempt, and I'd say that it covers both theme and techy.
More sharpness is easily attainable with an editing programme,
But as you have edit no ticked I won't show it.

Sheep, are these images straight out of camera? ( SooC)
There is also more detial to be had there.

And as already noted It must be tricky trying to stand in all that wind with 3 legs :D
Thanks Cobra. I have changed the edit status.
Yes SooC, i haven’t started grappling with PP yet. I also felt it was a bit soft in places but looking at the image settings i couldn’t put my finger on why.
Large jpeg, f5, 1/200, iso150. The grass looks sharp so maybe my focus point was off.
I remember an old joke about a farmer who bred three legged chickens because ‘I like a leg, the wife likes a leg and the son likes a leg’ :D

i haven’t started grappling with PP yet.
Its not the easiest thing to get to grips with, but your'll find most people will tweak their images one way or another.

Thanks Cobra. I have changed the edit status.
Nothing more than sharpen in CS5 ( photoshop) and just a tad levels..

copy.jpg

Sheep,
The grass looks sharp so maybe my focus point was off.
I've slightly over sharpened this, so you can clearly see that indeed you did miss the focus point, ( the sheep's eye)
or your camera is front focusing.
But don't get to hung up on that at the moment.
It all takes time to get to grips with :)
BTW if you are using auto mode ? the focus points will grab the nearest and or boldest thing and focus on that.
I hope some of this helps?

copy1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Simon, well you did choose a pretty difficult subject with the glass and the reflection, well done for giving it a go. I think you did well with it but as Cobra pointed out a quick sharpen can work wonders by just giving a photo that extra edge. I think it’s more noticeable in your sheep, which I love by the way, a smashing choice for the theme, I’m sure you’ll pick up a lot of hints along your 52’s journey, well done so far.

Good effort on the reflection, definitely as you say needs to be sharper. But the subject and idea are sound.

Reflection
A couple of things have already been pointed out, so I won't go over them again. Another thing to keep in mind when photographing for reflections, is that the reflection is on a different plane of focus than the main subject is (usually closer). This sometimes means using small apertures or focus stacking.
I don't know how you set up your shot e.g. if it was on a table or the floor etc. But you could maybe have put your camera on some books, set the 2 second timer and used a longer exposure.
Something I would invest in is a tripod, most people (photographers) have one, it doesn't need to be expensive (although that's relative).

Rough
I like the wind blown sheep. The background is nicely out of focus and the sheep has a lovely fleece. The sheep maybe a bit central, you could probably crop a little off of the left-hand side.

I love your sheep photo - I wouldn't sharpen it apart from maybe a little around it's face. It has a lovely windblown feel to it and is almost painterly. I agree with Dominic that a teeny bit cropped off the left edge would make it feel a little more balanced.

That's a good attempt at the glass and reflection - such a difficult subject on several levels! In the lighting section of the forum during the first lockdown, Garry Edwards set a task of photographing a similar subject and I attempted it. If I can find the link I'll come back and post it here.

Post processing can make a big difference to the final image as Cobra has mentioned... just another part of the photographic journey.

Rough is a really nice image. DoF has isolated the animal in a really lovely way. Unfortunately it's a bit soft on my monitor and Chris' edit has gone too far the other way for my liking - both with sharpness and contrast. For me, just needs a bit more space on the right hand side too. I think the colours in your original image are really nice too.

It's really difficult to tell why it's blurred as I can't zoom in. To me, the grass in the foreground looks sharp which means focus is too short. Not sure why that would be, but it's not conclusive.

Great effort though!

Like them both! The sheep especially is superbly seen - technique can be learned, but you have the eye already. Like key reflections are not easy - well done!

Loving the sheep... great idea for the theme and you've really caught the wind in her fleece. Others have pointed out any problem so I will keep schtum!

Back