Exploding lens hood

I quite like using the Chinese rubber expanding ones. Paid £1.50 for one for my 50mm and works well.

can speak for the 85mm hood but the one i got on my 70-200mm genuine canon one has been hit with rocks its been dropped on and bashed about to no ends and coverd in mud and been clipped on and off 1000s of times and its still as strong as i first had it :)

can speak for the 85mm hood but the one i got on my 70-200mm genuine canon one has been hit with rocks its been dropped on and bashed about to no ends and coverd in mud and been clipped on and off 1000s of times and its still as strong as i first had it :)

I have one of those too. It doesn't have that silly clip mechanism of the 85mm job, which is what explodes...

You did not put it in liquid nitrogen first, then dropped it, did you? :LOL: That would sound about right.

I have 85 1.8 original hood, and fake 50 1.4 hood and both survived at least 3 years. It is just a simple engineering plastic. Maybe yours was glass?!

Probably genuine Canon one would work better, but not always the price is justified. For instance for my 28mm f2.8 IS canon costs about £45, for peace of plastic :eek:

For instance for my 28mm f2.8 IS canon costs about £45, for peace of plastic

It is not the plastic you are buying, its the design and manufacture.

It is not the plastic you are buying, its the design and manufacture.

LOL there is nothing that can be done to justify the costs of Canon's lens hoods they are simply a rip off. Given that all thrid party lenses seem to include one in the price I seriously doubt the design and manufacture costs are really significant.

I have a non genuine hood for my 85mm f1.8 and haven't had any issues with it allthough I don't use it all the time I do hate the clip on mechanism they use though I much prever the more common twist on type. If mine ever fails I would consider a collapsing rubber hood I've used a few previously and found them excellent.

David, they could be useful for some of the older drivers though.

Hey watch it. :)

Last edited:
Sorry Keith. :) I wasn't meaning anyone on this forum though. :D

Back