• 23 - 26 September

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • 7 - 10 October

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 14 - 17 October

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put Brian in a tent half a mile away. Problem solved ;)

Well I can't hear it so I don't have a problem...but what's wrong with cotton wool plugs also handy for cleaning dust on the lens :D

Jings, trains to Sheffield are spendy!

Moneysaving expert has a fare splitter thingyummy doodad so you can find cheaper routes with split tickets. I'd also think the September weekend would be more expensive as a lot of students would be travelling to uni for start of semester.

Moneysaving expert has a fare splitter thingyummy doodad so you can find cheaper routes with split tickets. I'd also think the September weekend would be more expensive as a lot of students would be travelling to uni for start of semester.

I just checked a random weekend in June, though I think it may have been the start of the school holidays up here so that might not help.

Derby is closer to the 2 chapels we're currently looking at. I doubt that will make it any cheaper though. Don't they release the cheapest tickets about 3 months before travel?

Derby is closer to the 2 chapels we're currently looking at. I doubt that will make it any cheaper though. Don't they release the cheapest tickets about 3 months before travel?

From experience, theoretically, but as long as you're looking a few weeks in advance then the busy trains tend to still be busy whatever date and the TOC's know this. The trains that they can comfortably expect to be busy won't have their cheapest fares even on release date. Its fine there is plenty of time for me to scrimp and save some pennies just working out whether it would be better to sell a child or a camera....

From experience, theoretically, but as long as you're looking a few weeks in advance then the busy trains tend to still be busy whatever date and the TOC's know this. The trains that they can comfortably expect to be busy won't have their cheapest fares even on release date. Its fine there is plenty of time for me to scrimp and save some pennies just working out whether it would be better to sell a child or a camera....

There are sites that show you legal fiddles for cheaper prices IIRC like:- select the station ahead but get off before or maybe it was two changes....or whatever.

Last edited:
Sept weekend is looking more favourable for me.
I'm attempting to incorpeorate a visit to the IOM to see my mother so I have two requests ( grovels :p:D)

1. Is the anybody who can / is willing to collect me from Luton Airport on the friday 23rd. Ideally i would fly there on the friday morning arriving midday although it is possible to be at Luton the night before if necessary, albiet it'll cost me for a hotel overnight, something at best part of £100 I'm really trying to avoid:

2. Is anyone attending the meet able to get me to the Liverpool docks for the IOM ferry on the monday evening? ...to be there about 18.00 hours

Have coins (none of your euro rubbish ;)) handy to open the barrier as they charge you for pick up at Luton...... last year it was £2

Have coins (none of your euro rubbish ;)) handy to open the barrier as they charge you for pick up at Luton...... last year it was £2

euro rubbish?o_O..................please don't get me started Brian, the Brexit issue is already causing me some (quite serious) beaurotic problems and the darned decission hasn't even been made yet:mad:..............nowt like being treated like an immigrant with no rights when I'm an EU national!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up re the barrier............as it is i have a handful of £2 coins left over from my previous UK visit ;)(y)

October is no problem, September is okay but we ( ! :D ) would have to leave on the 25th (evening)- my wife has Court on the 26th.

(Her job is Court Services at Edinburgh Uni)

So, two definites for either weekend.

I'd be Friday to Sunday as before. Need to get back to help with bedtimes.

Excellent, Thank you:):ty:

So who's travelling up the M1 from the South on the friday ? Nick ? @RaglanSurf
It's quite likely Asha but it depends on work and also whether I manage to tack on holiday if I've got no work.

It's quite likely Asha but it depends on work and also whether I manage to tack on holiday if I've got no work.

OK Nick, very kind if you can ....besides i can bore you to death en route to Derbyshire:D

As it is atm, logisitics from here via Luton, Derbyshire, Liverppol and IOM will work for the Sept weekend without costing the earth.........I can't do anything more until the dates are confrimed for the meet and also my travel arrangements from Luton to the meet.

Can you fly to East Midlands, @Asha? Can't be too far to the Peaks from there...

Can you fly to East Midlands, @Asha? Can't be too far to the Peaks from there...

Nope ....Liverpool might be an option though

EDIT: Scrap that idea..there's one flight daily in Sept, two and a half times the price of the flight to Luton and would have to be a thursday outbound due to arrival time being late afternoon thus an overnight stop over in L'Pool would be inevitable.

So it's back to a Luton pick up or cheap method of getting from there to the meet or somewhere near.

I know there's a National Express service from Luton airport to different locations.

This is already becoming more and more complicated ........:(

Last edited:
Looks like the September weekend might be a goer. If my maths is correct, and we book one of the chapels, it should be around £71 per head for 14 people. Both are currently still available.

Andy & I are planning to go over this weekend for a recce to check out the chapels, local areas etc.

Last edited:
This is already becoming more and more complicated ........:(

Don't worry Asha, we'll sort it out, even if we have to get @Yv to come back from turkey just for you

Andy & I are planning to go over this weekend for a recce to check out the chapels, local areas etc.
Above and beyond the call of duty (y)Thanks folks

@Asha

I'll be coming down from Edinburgh- I can come down the East or West side and so can pass Glasgow/Edinburgh or Newcastle airports.

@Asha what about Bristol airport? I'll be going up the M5 past Bristol so if it helps or is cheaper I could open the side door of the van and you can jump in as I pass. Not stopping though :p

Thanks Carl ...It's another option but having just looked, it's another late afternoon arrival in Bristol so would mean a thursday stop over ...also, although cheaper than Liverpool, it's still almost double the flight fare to Luton.

Tbh to fly to Luton then a coach oop north is cheaper than a flight to other airports.

Ive only looked at sheffield ( meadowhall or greenhill) ....would this be the best destination for being "collected" by someone to then go to the digs?

Excellent, Thank you:):ty:

So who's travelling up the M1 from the South on the friday ? Nick ? @RaglanSurf

Well if the weather is bad I could take a detour as backup and would use my jalopy but you would have a bike for company in the back as there is no front passenger seat and earplugs might be useful o_O

Derby is closer, we could pick you up from there. Kendo1 may pass close to Sheffield on his way south.

Derby is closer, we could pick you up from there.
We could get you to Liverpool on the Monday.

If you really are sure that these pick ups are no bother then I can book flights,coach and ferry.

The coach from Luton would be expected to arrive in Derby about 17:00 friday 23rd

This is only going to work for the september weekend ....I could have it booked like now if that is the choice everyone is going with.

If you really are sure that these pick ups are no bother then I can book flights,coach and ferry.

The coach from Luton would be expected to arrive in Derby about 17:00 friday 23rd

This is only going to work for the september weekend ....I could have it booked like now if that is the choice everyone is going with.

Go for it big lad, we'll get you there and back...... but not necessarily in one piece. :D

We will be leaving Edinburgh Friday morning. It takes 5 hours to drive, so we should be there mid-afternoon.
Taxi service available.
(apparently it takes 3 days to walk- input from Evey)

Last edited:
Go for it big lad, we'll get you there and back...... but not necessarily in one piece. :D

Booked!

Arrive Luton friday 23rd sept midday.

I've yet to book the coach but that departs about 14:00 and takes approx 3 hours arriving in Derby about 17:00

On the monday 26th i need to check in for the ferry at Liverpool about 18:00 but if I'm there well before that then no problem.

Many thanks Mr & Mrs Snap for your taxi service and thank you all for your suggestions and offers of help.

I look forward to seeing you all, new faces and old ( very old as in the case of @Andysnap :D) in September

Looks like the September weekend might be a goer. If my maths is correct, and we book one of the chapels, it should be around £71 per head for 14 people. Both are currently still available.

Awesome, many thanks! :)

Appreciate all your work organising this and don't forget to take your cameras as the weather is suppose to be VG this weekend and temps could reach 23c with a chance of a shower.

Aye, times is changin' and no fur the better.

Hi there guys,

If you decide on September, I would also like to join you. If there are any souls that are coming from the south,I would be taking the M25 from Kent and then the M1 route to the the appointed destination,collection at convenient place most welcome.

I would think that I will travel up on Friday mid-day and return Sunday afternoon ready for work on Monday.

Sept weekend is looking more favourable for me.
I'm attempting to incorpeorate a visit to the IOM to see my mother so I have two requests ( grovels :p:D)

1. Is the anybody who can / is willing to collect me from Luton Airport on the friday 23rd. Ideally i would fly there on the friday morning arriving midday although it is possible to be at Luton the night before if necessary, albiet it'll cost me for a hotel overnight, something at best part of £100 I'm really trying to avoid:

2. Is anyone attending the meet able to get me to the Liverpool docks for the IOM ferry on the monday evening? ...to be there about 18.00 hours

If September dates are agreed I would be delighted to collect you from Luton,mid-day would be fine as I would be passing at about 13.30.:)

Great, I'll add you to the list. It will be September, Asha has already booked his flights!

Fri 23 - Mon 26 Sep

Definites
Andysnap & CMS
RaglanSurf & Teddy Bear!
Carl Hall
Woodsy & Nikki
stevelmx5
excalibur2
kendo1 & Mrs kendo1
steveo_mcg
ChrisR
Asha
medwaygreen

Possibles
Rob Hooley
Donut

Both the chapels will comfortably sleep 18. I've emailed the company for a bit more info re parking at both places.

http://www.derbyshire-holidays.com/cottage.php?id=ebenezer
http://www.derbyshire-holidays.com/cottage.php?id=oldchapel

Reply - "Hello. Thank you for your E mail. Both chapels are currently available for those dates and the cost is £985 for a week end break Friday 3pm to Monday 10am if you wish to stay that long. At the Ebenezer Chapel the parking is outside the chapel down the lane. At the Old Baptist Chapel the land lord of Devonshire allows our guests to park to the rear of his car park for a charge of £5 per car."

Last edited:
If September dates are agreed I would be delighted to collect you from Luton,mid-day would be fine as I would be passing at about 13.30.:)
Brilliant:)

Cheers Richard.

It'll be good to see you again.

I might even bring the M4 and let you have a play;)

This going to be a good Indian summer trip and I am looking forward to meeting all the really good TP film photographer,s for the first time, I have already met Asha and Nick.:)

I would like to know at some stage which establishment we will be booking, both look great,but,for travellers with cars,plans need to be planned for security.:)

As an offer of preference my choice would be Old Chapel,just looks good and I have to have somewhere secure to keep the car with all the Kit.

Talking about Kit,I know that most of you guys will bring LF camera,s,but,if anyone would like to try Hasselblad both 120mm and 35mm let me know.

I am also thinking of bringing two 35mm APS camera,s, for a little competition,I have the films that I will bring and the Lab to process, what do you think?

Back