Votes: 12 70.6%
  • 7 - 10 October

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 14 - 17 October

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Old Baptist Chapel - Belper

We really struggled to find this chapel and almost gave up looking! We knew almost exactly where it should be and walked around the area a couple of times getting more confused as to why it wasn't there! But we did find it eventually. It's not actually on a road, it's hidden away and has buildings on every side.

To access it from the main road, you actually have to take a narrow alley (pedestrian only) between a pub and a takeaway (see google streetview below):
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0...mT8FeulZTYeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
If you manoeuvre around, you can see the Devonshire Hotel on the opposite side of the main road where you can pay £5 to the landlord to park. This is the A6 and was extremely busy on Saturday lunchtime!

The chapel parking is at the back and is down a narrow track accessed from a narrow residential street. If you look at the streetview link, the parking is behind the large tree to the right of the track. That track is also used by some residents to access their parking areas so we would have to be careful not to block access to anyone's drive. The parking area seems to be outside the walls of the chapel so is no more secure than parking at the Devonshire or on the lane outside Ebenezer.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0..._Q69jvwjA6oKxnjcxE_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Belper itself is a nice little town. Lots of pubs, cafes, restaurants, shops (15 rolls of Agfa in the Poundland!), takeaways etc. We had lunch in a very lovely little tea room on the main road just a minutes walk away! The station is only about 5 minutes walk from the chapel. The supermarkets (Morrisons and Cooperative) are towards the other end of town. There are quite a few interesting buildings that you could photograph and the River Derwent is probably only a few minutes walk away. Other than that there isn't much scope for sunrise/sunset shots within walking distance.

P1010444 by Andy, on Flickr

Last edited:
We also looked at various things to do and see in the area and there are lots! Once we've got the accommodation sorted I'll put up more info about that.

I'd like to book the accommodation tomorrow if possible so can you please post up your preference asap! I will book whichever one gets the most mentions!

Well my 2p................. pick the one with the easiest\more secure parking as surely we are not going to stay in the villages all the time and will travel to the best photo spots......and then can find a decent place for meals in the evening......I don't drink much so if anyone wants to get drunk and has full insurance for any driver then I don't mind being a chauffer back to the lodgings (that's if I come up by motorbike, of course my car no problem)...and if we are stuck for transport (drink\drive) then there is always a minicab.

Last edited:
Many thanks to the Snaps for doing so much groundwork;) ....both places appeal to me so i'll go with the flow...:)

The Belper Chapel sounds best to me with local shops/train station nearby along with the selection of restaurants/pubs. The river being local should give some opportunities for landscapes with running water too.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to Andy and the CMS for the excellent work and effort you've put in again. We all really appreciate it and it feels like a proper school trip with two sensible (well, 1 and Andy..) teachers and a rabble of kids ;0)

Last edited:
it feels like a proper school trip with two sensible (well, 1 and Andy..) teachers and a rabble of kids ;0)

To ensure it resembles my school trips back in the 70's, i'll have to bring my 126 instamatic with it's eveready case that opened forwards of the caméra and always got captured in the frames:D

I think I slightly prefer the Ebeneezer chapel but only just. I agree with Steve that Belper is more logical as it has all the amenities but the Ebeneezer chapel just seemed a bit nicer and both the pubs had a really nice feel to them as well. We didn't go to the chain pub across the river but it looked ok and the food choice was chainlike but sufficient. Belper has a much wider choice but it is a lot busier (maybe too busy) and the parking looked a trifle erm... interesting. Ebeneezer parking is on the road but you would be able to see all the cars rom the house, Belper had parking either behind the chapel or in a pub car park 200 yards away.
Overall.... I'm still not 100% sure but Ebeneezer is a nose in front.

5 minute walk from Ebeneezer Chapel and it looks as good inside as out.
Holly-Bush by Andy, on Flickr

Bakewell, lovely but busy.
Bakewell by Andy, on Flickr

We're easy, whatever suits:)

1st one seems to have a 'Police, No Entry' tape up across the door.
Any recent murders? Mad Axemen?

Well I'd choose Ebineezer but if you are all going to the Italian restaurant ( can't stand the food) :eek: and with the pubs not serving food at night, I'll have to find a fish and chip shop.o_O

Well I'd choose Ebineezer but if you are all going to the Italian restaurant ( can't stand the food) :eek: and with the pubs not serving food at night, I'll have to find a fish and chip shop.o_O

More chance of photography at an Italian restaurant...

We're easy, whatever suits:)

1st one seems to have a 'Police, No Entry' tape up across the door.
Any recent murders? Mad Axemen?

It was a happy birthday banner. No need to worry about mad axmen... well not from outside.

@excalibur2 Brian, I'm with you on the Italian food thing but I believe they do serve some English dishes,mainly steaks. I'll pop a link up to it later.

No need to worry about mad axmen... .

so @RobHooley aint attending then....ah relief!:D

There again there's a Franglais gunna be there:naughty:......who knows, he might be more dangerous!:runaway::exit::D

It was a happy birthday banner. No need to worry about mad axmen... well not from outside.

@excalibur2 Brian, I'm with you on the Italian food thing but I believe they do serve some English dishes,mainly steaks. I'll pop a link up to it later.

That do me if they don't mind cooking English rubbish like..... grilled Sirloin\rump steak medium rare, french fries, peas and tomatoes and a glass of cider.o_O

^^Brilliant^^......."Cochons d'anglais! :ROFLMAO:

It's scary - it was made in 1975 :eek:

Just voicing a marginal preference to the ebineezer one. Prefer to have good parking than a host of local amenities. We did absolutely fine in the lakes and I kinda like the idea of simple parking after a long day :)

Last edited:
I think they both seem to fit the requirements very well,but,I think that for it,s location I just prefer Ebineezer. Happy to stay at either one.

Well done and thank you to Mr & Mrs Snap for all of your efforts.

Can someone hide the axe in the woodshed before rob gets in there ?

I think you've been allocated the cutlery drawer as a bunk:ROFLMAO: ................don't be getting "cut" up about it:D

If the teddy will fit in there as well you could spoon. :D

In other news, as we need to get this show pony harnessed up and in the ring The CMS has provisionally booked Ebeneezer chapel. It appeared to be the favourite and I liked it so that's that then. :naughty: More info regarding cost/deposit etc will be forthcoming tomorrow and we will start to put up links to local things to see and do. (y)

Andy

Thanks, Andy. (and CMS)

If the teddy will fit in there as well you could spoon. :D

In other news, as we need to get this show pony harnessed up and in the ring The CMS has provisionally booked Ebeneezer chapel. It appeared to be the favourite and I liked it so that's that then. :naughty: More info regarding cost/deposit etc will be forthcoming tomorrow and we will start to put up links to local things to see and do. (y)

Andy
Thanks Guys

Bakewell looks interesting and should have plenty of tarts around, for Asha to choose, for a nibble o_O and is only 23 miles away and probably some nice areas on route?

I have paid the deposit for Ebenezer Chapel this morning :) So, we need to collect your deposits of £25 per person. I'll get 'admin' @Andysnap to message you with our bank details etc.

Balance is due around the end of July. I'll confirm actual costs nearer the time once we know whether Donut and Rob are coming. Expect it to be around £60 - £70 ish per person in total for the weekend.

I have paid the deposit for Ebenezer Chapel this morning :) So, we need to collect your deposits of £25 per person. I'll get 'admin' @Andysnap to message you with our bank details etc.

Balance is due around the end of July. I'll confirm actual costs nearer the time once we know whether Donut and Rob are coming. Expect it to be around £60 - £70 ish per person in total for the weekend.

Yes dear, I'll sort it out. :angelic:

Bakewell looks interesting and should have plenty of tarts around, for Asha to choose, for a nibble o_O and is only 23 miles away and probably some nice areas on route?

I don't want any of them sticky jam tarts Bri, I want à good looking tart with legs! ;):D

Back