• 14 - 17 October

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
More info to follow but we have been discussing another weekend away. The Peak District has been suggested as a fairly accessible mid point and the CMS has done some preliminary research and there are a few likely looking places that could accommodate a fairly large number at a reasonable price.
We were thinking September/October
I'll post up links to the accommodation later but if you are interested let me know as the first thing we need is a rough idea of numbers.

Ok, as per instructions from Steve (or 'Lazy Steve' as he is now to be known) here's the info for the Peaks weekend.

Dates 23rd to 26th September
Location : Ebeneezer. Chapel, Milford nearest station is Belper.

Now, if you will excuse me I have chocolate and whisky to consume. :D

Andy

Last edited:
Sounds great but the most modern vehicle I have was made 1998 (my push bikes are newer though ;) ) ..maybe guys in the south can get together to share the petrol costs for a vehicle that's more modern...h'mm air conditioned Range Rover is nice o_O

Count me in, first weekends of both September and October are already booked but the rest are fine for me.

Sounds great but the most modern vehicle I have was made 1998 (my push bikes are newer though ;) ) ..maybe guys in the south can get together to share the petrol costs for a vehicle that's more modern...h'mm air conditioned Range Rover is nice o_O

I'm sure we can organise something for you Brian.

I'll put up a few dates later for a quick poll.

I'm sure we can organise something for you Brian.

Well I might have to go alone to carry a push bike in the back to keep up with you guys walking well unless it's walking in bogs and using grappling hooks and ropes for rock climbing where bikes can't go :eek:. :D.......the engine has done 227,000 miles what's a few hundred miles more ;) anyway I'm on AA relay to get me back home for a disaster.

Ok Brian, thanks for that interesting and pertinent info. :D

Actually, one of the reasons we chose the Peaks was that it isnt just landscapey stuff. Theres a huge amount of industrial stuff and lots of interesting canals, some of which are eithin easy walking distance.

Ok Brian, thanks for that interesting and pertinent info. :D

Actually, one of the reasons we chose the Peaks was that it isnt just landscapey stuff. Theres a huge amount of industrial stuff and lots of interesting canals, some of which are eithin easy walking distance.

Oh......Well I'll let you guys go to industrial stuff and I'll cycle or drive off to see the nice scenery and pretty villages as I've never been there.

I'd be very keen for this... never really been to the Peak district, excepting one bank holiday in the Dove valley (*), which was more like Oxford St for the amount of people!

* Assuming the Dove valley is actually IN the Peak District!

Hmm...
I'm a possible :)
It depends on work, being self-employed. Not so much taking time off, but having work so that I can take time off.

Hmm...
I'm a possible :)
It depends on work, being self-employed. Not so much taking time off, but having work so that I can take time off.

I'd bring the Contax 139 that you gave me to try out your contax lenses ;)

I'll bring my Contax lenses so you can use that 139...

Well lets hope you can make it...I'll leave the T70 at home :D
Yashica lenses at the bootie are rare and have only picked up the Yashica 135mm but do have Tamron and M42 adapters for it.

Well lets hope you can make it...I'll leave the T70 at home :D
Yashica lenses at the bootie are rare and have only picked up the Yashica 135mm but do have Tamron and M42 adapters for it.
It just so happens I have some different Yashica 50mm lenses and a mid range zoom- the ML which is well regarded. I'll see what I can find in the storage boxes.

I might bring the Mamiya 645...

It just so happens I have some different Yashica 50mm lenses and a mid range zoom- the ML which is well regarded. I'll see what I can find in the storage boxes.

I might bring the Mamiya 645...

Well I'm not short of ordinary lenses for the 139 as I think you gave me a 50mm dsb and have a Tamron 24mm and other Tamron zooms but would like to see the results with a combo of Contax 28mm with Reala. Also I'll bring the Bronica ETRs with 4 lenses.

Focus gentlemen please.....excuse the pun. :D

Well I would suggest the date has to be after the kids have gone back to school to get the tourist out of the way.

I shall consult with the CMS later and get a few dates up for people to vote on.

Oh......Well I'll let you guys go to industrial stuff and I'll cycle or drive off to see the nice scenery and pretty villages as I've never been there.

Brian, I'm not saying it will be entirely one thing or t'other but the area has more than enough interest to keep everyone happy. Personally I'm a landscape man but I'm quite happy to wander along a nice canal snapping the pretty stuff and a few interesting buildings.

I would be really interested in this :) (if people are happy for me to come too :p ) How many days and nights would it likely be over? It's a 400 mile round trip so I would be tempted to get a train if there is a local station to the place you're staying, given my vans track record for breaking down :crying:

I would be really interested in this :) (if people are happy for me to come too :p ) How many days and nights would it likely be over? It's a 400 mile round trip so I would be tempted to get a train if there is a local station to the place you're staying, given my vans track record for breaking down :crying:
The Lake District meet last year was Friday-Monday 3 nights. I'm sure we'll be able to sort out lifts for those arriving by train, we did last year anyway.

We'd be looking to book a 3 night weekend so arrive at the accommodation on Friday afternoon / evening and leave on Monday morning. Depending on where the accommodation is, we will be able to organise lifts from local stations. Sheffield, Derby, Manchester / Stockport and Stoke / Crewe are all mainline stations around the edges of the Peak District and there are local services that could get you even closer to some areas.

Brian, I'm not saying it will be entirely one thing or t'other but the area has more than enough interest to keep everyone happy. Personally I'm a landscape man but I'm quite happy to wander along a nice canal snapping the pretty stuff and a few interesting buildings.

Understand that Andy and I'm easy going and don't want to be a loner but with the gang, but for me I would like to take shots of things that you don't see in London or the surrouding countryside and my vision of "industrial stuff" would be taking shots of old tin mines or whatever they used to do in the area in past....anyway what we will probably do is split into small groups at times and all join up for a nice meal in the evening....... and booze for you ;)

We'd be looking to book a 3 night weekend so arrive at the accommodation on Friday afternoon / evening and leave on Monday morning. Depending on where the accommodation is, we will be able to organise lifts from local stations. Sheffield, Derby, Manchester / Stockport and Stoke / Crewe are all mainline stations around the edges of the Peak District and there are local services that could get you even closer to some areas.

Have you a crystal ball for the sunniest weekend ;)

Right folks, The CMS has checked out these places in the links below and they are available on the dates shown. Poll added at the top. Given the paucity of choice in a reasonable price range these two seem to be about right and both look to be comfortable and in a good area.

Availability of Ebenezer Chapel and it’s pal Old Baptist Chapel. Both are currently available for the following weekends:

23 – 26 Sep

7 – 10 Oct

14 – 17 Oct

For that period (late Sep to mid Oct) the price for a weekend at either property should be £982.50. I don’t what peoples budgets are like….. They would be £82 pp for 12 people, £76 per person for 13 people and so on.

http://www.derbyshire-holidays.com/cottage.php?id=ebenezer

http://www.derbyshire-holidays.com/cottage.php?id=oldchapel

I'd think the one in Belper not too far from Belper train station would be the best idea as it gives more options for the non drivers. Belper is a decent sized town as well so hostelries and comestible purchases might be a lot easier than in the other one in the small looking village.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/el/Belper;Derbyshire/ Only the 19 to stagger around but I'd think it would be manageable over 2 days with determination ;)

I can't leave the cat for that long but a day visit might happen as it is only an hour away for me. Although I've said that the last few times and never actually got out of the house!

Last edited:
Ebenezer is next door to a pub and has another 3 within half a mile. I don't think either of them are short of places to eat and drink.

These aren't the only places I found but they're probably the most comfortable with their smaller bedrooms and single / double beds (no bunks!). There are a few hostels / bunkhouses that may be available in different parts of the peaks.

Well I would say the best place would be the one with easy parking...depending on the number of vehicles being used

Well I would say the best place would be the one with easy parking...depending on the number of vehicles being used
The best one is surely the one nearest the best pub :beer:

I wonder if they have apple trees oop north for cider ;)

Last edited:
Ebenezer is next door to a pub and has another 3 within half a mile. I don't think either of them are short of places to eat and drink.

These aren't the only places I found but they're probably the most comfortable with their smaller bedrooms and single / double beds (no bunks!). There are a few hostels / bunkhouses that may be available in different parts of the peaks.

I should have guessed at least one would be right next door to a pub :D

I'm free on two of those weeekends, but I'm planning on going to a three day Star Trek convention (yes, really. Don't laugh!) on the 7th to 9th October, although I'm so far unable to find anyone who wants to go with me so I may well be free then too haha.

Looking at the trainline I think the Belper one would be best for me as well. To get to the Milford one I'll have to get on a.......bus.....which I haven't done since I was in sixth form ;0)

Back