F&C Meetup? Astle Park, now set for 14th August

If interested which date would be best for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A little bump. So far could title the trip "Five go steaming". Any more interested?

Can't do either I'm afraid, I need a little more time to juggle work commitments and pick up the cheap train tickets. Maybe next time.

So with two preferences for Saturday 14th and everyone else flexible let's settle on the Saturday. Will amend title.

Anyone else interested? Will message folks with my mobile number (which has changed since the last meet up) in the week before to aid rendezvous on the day, as we don't spend all day :beer: but do actually go round :snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy:

Last edited:
202 miles each way for me , So I'm out :confused:

This is quite close to me. It'll depend on whether we're off over the Runcorn bridge *again* that weekend though which I won't know until closer to the time.

I'll be in if I'm free :)

Weather permitting I'll most likely give it a go too. We'll have to arrange a meeting time outside the beer tent though, otherwise it won't be a proper F&C locals' meet-up! :)

Message sent with my mobile number to those who have responded with yes or maybe for the 14th. Will aim to meet near beer tent about 11am. Anyone else who might come along let us know in this thread.

I’m thinking about coming, weather dependent. It’s a bit of a trek from South Yorkshire, but not too bad. The other steam rallies this side of the hills that I might have visited have both been cancelled this year, so it will be nice to attend one that’s still taking place.
Have sent you my number.

Now, decision time, what/which camera/s, film/s and lens/es. The disposable will be coming along for sure.

I was wondering that... Not fetching a big bag so it'll be a challenge for sure. Film will be the trickier choice as it'll be a guess on the weather. The only film I have in 120 is slow & Infrared so unless my AW order turns up tomorrow I'll be on 35mm. Thinking the EOS-30 as I have a travel lens for it, and maybe something small with HP5 in it that I can push if necessary.

I think the weather will dictate for me.

Are these things generally colourful?

Yes, but there's still loads of scope for black and white.

I've got Flickr galleries for a few steam rally visits over the past few years, which should give a flavour of what to expect. They're not from the Astle rally, but they're probably all similar in terms of what's on show.

Lincoln Steam Rally 2019 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfish/albums/72157710423188687

Sheffield Steam Rally 2019 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfish/albums/72157709364096502

Sheffield Steam Rally 2017 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfish/albums/72157682837804984

I'm thinking of coming, I've checked 3 different forecasts, one says Saturday will be dry, one says rain and one says dry in the morning and rain in the afternoon - take your pick. Doesn't look like a complete wash out though so if I can get my act together tomorrow and put some gear in a bag I'll see you Saturday

I'm still flip flopping between going to this and the car social that's on the same day!

I'm still flip flopping between going to this and the car social that's on the same day!
You can't possibly consider a non F&C endorsed event like that! ;)

As for cameras, probably my EOS 30v as it's fairly small and light and with a 28-135 IS zoom on that it will cover pretty much anything, and for some 120 fun probably the Ensign Selfix 16-20 as that will fit in my jacket pocket.

Oh yes. :)

Kodak Gold 200 should do the job OK tomorrow, particularly if using an IS lens on your EOS 30. Let me know if you haven't got any and I can bring a couple of extra rolls with me, if you like?

Have some Colourplus 200 in one of my 35mm Rolleiflexes, will add a Tamron zoom to the backpack. Going to load the Olympus XA with Ilford Ortho 80, need to use some of the 20 rolls (10x35mm and 10x120) the family bought me September 2019. Will have the Fuji disposable on the other hip.

Getting things together for tomorrow.

Can't get my 35RC meter working. :(

So, new batteries in the XA and XA2 both loaded with Tri-x.

Hmm , just checked XA, already loaded, slip inside case says HP5+, so Ortho will go in the backpack.

Let me know if you haven't got any and I can bring a couple of extra rolls with me, if you like?
Very kind of you but I tend to buy it up whenever it's in stock and I should probably shoot it instead of letting it languish in the fridge.

Still umming and aahing over cameras... Have some Portra 160 in my 645 and would love it if the day was bright enough to shoot Ortho 80. Those reds in the images above...

Very kind of you but I tend to buy it up whenever it's in stock and I should probably shoot it instead of letting it languish in the fridge.

Still umming and aahing over cameras... Have some Portra 160 in my 645 and would love it if the day was bright enough to shoot Ortho 80. Those reds in the images above...
I fully understand, it was the Gold 200 that's been languishing in my fridge since lockdown stopped our regular F&C fun that I was offering (still in date till end Sept). There are two packs in my freezer to replace it with too, so don't worry about hoarding, I think we all do it! So let's put some of it to use for a change. :)

As for 160 v 200 or 400, see what the forecast is like tomorrow and decide then, it's what I'm going to do. I'm going to load the 16/20 with 400 XP2 no matter what though, as that will work as well at 200 as it will at 400, if the sun comes out. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow. (y)

Last edited:
All now departed , slightly damp, from the meet-up. Good to see folks again. Time to start thinking of the next opportunity.
A very enjoyable day and a good F&C 'locals' turn out too, It was great to meet Ian and Nige for the first time, and to see David, Simon and Chris again. I hope everyone got home safely and the traffic had cleared a bit since this morning.

As for possible future events, there's also the Smallwood Vintage Rally on the 4th and 5th September if the weather plays ball and we get an Indian summer. https://www.smallwoodvintagerally.co.uk/

Really nice to meet folks. Sorry I had to depart early....

Excellent trip out. Many thanks to all.

I shan't pollute this fine forum with my digi rubbish but here's a link to some photos if anyone's interested.

Great set of images.

I had a look at the same kinda scene with 4181 but working that sign in really worked well.
"Women Drivers" is 4201 and but for another few inches to separate out that chap's chin from the wheel would have been lovely.
The combination of the signage and the people in 4203 works really well IMO. Really very neat composition.
4209 made me smile too. It's not "a mug" and would probably make an amusing still life but whatever - I really like the arrangement here. Lovely simple image.
Finally, we need to see the resulting image from @FishyFish on 4220. A "photo in a photo" if you will.

I was really quite nervous about meeting everyone. Never had anyone yell my forum username at me before (thanks @dmb for picking me out) and I discovered I was subconsciously "magpieing" (new word) some shots. I think my "3 men against a green wall" was one of many...

It's wierd. It was my 1st time out after lockdown meeting strangers, and my 1st time out to do some recreational photography. There was this weird "can I go shoot, or should I chat?" mentality.

Thanks all for making me feel at ease.

Great set of images.

I had a look at the same kinda scene with 4181 but working that sign in really worked well.
"Women Drivers" is 4201 and but for another few inches to separate out that chap's chin from the wheel would have been lovely.
The combination of the signage and the people in 4203 works really well IMO. Really very neat composition.
4209 made me smile too. It's not "a mug" and would probably make an amusing still life but whatever - I really like the arrangement here. Lovely simple image.
Finally, we need to see the resulting image from @FishyFish on 4220. A "photo in a photo" if you will.

Most of my digital shots are not up to much to be honest. I'm still getting a feel for the camera and am over-estimating my skills with its settings or - where I'm doing stree-style stuff, rushing - resulting in quite a lot of misses. I've got a few I like though.

Here's my lion picture. It's not what I'd hoped and I suspect a version on film might have been more satisfying.

Covid lion.jpg

I was really quite nervous about meeting everyone. Never had anyone yell my forum username at me before (thanks @dmb for picking me out) and I discovered I was subconsciously "magpieing" (new word) some shots. I think my "3 men against a green wall" was one of many...

It's wierd. It was my 1st time out after lockdown meeting strangers, and my 1st time out to do some recreational photography. There was this weird "can I go shoot, or should I chat?" mentality.

Thanks all for making me feel at ease

I'm generally very much a loner when I'm out with a camera, so it can feel a little odd being with others. At least fellow togs understand what you're doing when, mid-conversation, you suddenly duck out and take a photograph of something. :D

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting evening. Put my 1st roll of Washi S into the tank. Set the timer for 6.5 minutes. Got all my chemicals out. Started my audio book.

At 05:00 into the development I realised I'd put 300ml of chemistry in AGAIN (instead of the 500ml required for 120). It was a film I was most looking forward to as it was basically car bonnets in the rain, but Washi S has super high contrast and can really punch.

So instead of flying into a rage, I washed the film then re-developed it in Diafine. Apparently Diafine will only develop what's there to develop, so I figured it would just "top off" where the developer didn't reach.

And It Worked!!!! I have absolutely perfect images despite under-developing in HC-110 with only (just over) half the required amount of developer. Diafine is a godsend!

2021-08-14-washiS-645n-14.jpg

2021-08-14-washiS-645n-03.jpg

2021-08-14-washiS-645n-15.jpg

Glad it worked (googles Diafine suppliers ... ), good set and that second one is just great, love it.

That's really good news Ian. I would have been doing fist-pumps and a victory dance in relief! :D

I've got digi-pics of two of those same cars (although my ageing brain can't remember what might be on the film I shot until its developed.. ).

I really like the balancing elements of the flag and silhouetted figure in the top one.

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting evening. Put my 1st roll of Washi S into the tank. Set the timer for 6.5 minutes. Got all my chemicals out. Started my audio book.

At 05:00 into the development I realised I'd put 300ml of chemistry in AGAIN (instead of the 500ml required for 120). It was a film I was most looking forward to as it was basically car bonnets in the rain, but Washi S has super high contrast and can really punch.

So instead of flying into a rage, I washed the film then re-developed it in Diafine. Apparently Diafine will only develop what's there to develop, so I figured it would just "top off" where the developer didn't reach.

And It Worked!!!! I have absolutely perfect images despite under-developing in HC-110 with only (just over) half the required amount of developer. Diafine is a godsend!

View attachment 327142

View attachment 327141

View attachment 327143
That second shot is just fantastic, thank heavens fir Diafine.

Great set of images.

Thanks all for making me feel at ease.
Glad you could make it, these F&C locals meet-ups are good fun. It was my first time out to an event with a camera since lockdown too (I think I shot one and a half rolls of film during lockdown, that's all) and unfortunately I found that 18 months or so away from the hobby has badly affected my ability to 'see' a photo opportunity and I've fallen back into grabbing 'record shot' type photos again! Never mind, must try harder!

My colour films are in the envelope ready to go off to AG on Monday, so will look forward to getting the negatives back later in the week (fingers crossed). My B&W film is still in the camera with 10 of the 16 shots used - the disadvantage of getting 16 shots on a roll of 120! I'm glad your photos survived the developer mishap, some good shots there, as usual - you've even made that 1950s Vauxhall Victor look good. ;)

Back