Which day do you prefer?

• 1. Saturday 4th

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2. Sunday 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Either

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Thanks for the well wishes. Sadly it's not an improving condition, and it's a case of "when we're needed, we're needed", but age comes to us all...

Hope you all had a great time. Was looking forward to catching up. Would love a pre-Christmas meal/drink/cuppa/whatever.

Thanks for the well wishes. Sadly it's not an improving condition, and it's a case of "when we're needed, we're needed", but age comes to us all...

Hope you all had a great time. Was looking forward to catching up. Would love a pre-Christmas meal/drink/cuppa/whatever.
It's a shame you couldn't make it but family must come first.

It was great to see Simon, David and Nige again and to meet Mrs DMB for the first time, and take some photos at an outdoor event - which still has a novelty factor for me after lockdown! I hope everyone else enjoyed the meet-up and got back home safely?

The 1950s folder challenge seemed to keep us all busy... until the light went a bit 'meh' and the lure of the beer tent grew too strong! I managed to finish the roll in the Ensign folder and somehow get through 36 colour and B&W shots in 35mm too, so hopefully I'll have something reasonable amongst that lot.

I hope people will forgive a digital shot but I'd run out of colour film by the time I'd spotted this Martin Parr-esque vision of British quirkiness that was too good to miss, so out came the smartphone! Perhaps I should have bought that 3D picture of the poodle and donated it as a prize for the 50s folder challenge?

51423937701_28588f9d41_b.jpg

Last edited:
It was great to see Simon, David and Nige again and to meet Mrs DMB for the first time, and take some photos at an outdoor event - which still has a novelty factor for me after lockdown! I hope everyone else enjoyed the meet-up and got back home safely?

It was a good day and good to see you all again. I'm a bit cream-crackered after the driving though.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing @dmb 's beer tent photo from the carboard camara.

Last edited:
Well @FishyFish your wish ...

People go blurry in the Beer Tent
by D M Bloor, on Flickr

90 second exposure f/228 pinhole onto Ilford MG Paper using "This Book is a Camera"
Waiting for badger!

(I'd gone into the beer tent to get a pint, didn't see that David had got a table, so walked outside to look for them once I'd been served. Eventually went back into the tent to see if they were in there, and found them very kindly saving a chair for me). Sorry to miss the camera book photo though, it's turned out well. (y)

Last edited:
Oh dear!!

You know that black tube that goes up the centre of the reel?

You know what happens when you leave it out?

:banghead:

Looks like I might have 5 unfogged frames.
Nooooo! :eek:

Evil edit:

*puts on best Terry-Thomas voice* I say... that film didn't contain your entry for the 1950s folder challenge, by any chance? If so, what jolly bad luck!

;)

Last edited:
Nooooo! :eek:

Evil edit:

*puts on best Terry-Thomas voice* I say... that film didn't contain your entry for the 1950s folder challenge, by any chance? If so, what jolly bad luck!

;)

I'm hoping one of the survivors will serve as an entry, even if not the one I was hoping for.

I had a bit of a panic with my folder roll (and fiddledeedee) too. It got stuck when loading it onto the reel in the changing bag to the extent that I had to separate the two sections of the spiral and remove it. I then sealed the film in the dev tank while I fetched a second spiral to try again, only for it to happen again!

I managed to finally finagle it onto the second reel (albeit with difficulty and lots of worrying resistance and creaky scraping sounds) but it felt ok to my blind touch.

Thankfully it looks like it’s developed ok. Phew.

Last edited:
Just shot the end of my folder roll (at f/8 not f/16 duh) nice sunny day so heading to the darkroom again.

My roll of HP5+ that I started at Astle and finished at Smallwood yesterday has devved ok and I've got the roll scanned. I'm happy with most of the photos from the roll but, best of all, I have a 1950s car for the challenge! :)

It's this Isetta 300 bubble car. I checked the reg on the government site which confirms it was manufactured and first licensed in 1959. Given that I'd completely forgotten we were trying to get a picture of something from the same decade our cameras were made, I'm feeling quite lucky! I do have a late 40s Chevy pickup truck on the roll too which, while not made in the 50s, would have been tootling around during that decade, but this bubble-car is the closer fit.

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 (manufactured 1951-54)
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins @ 20°

Isetta 300 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
They look a lot softer here after uploading.
Try Flickr as a hosting site and link the URL of the photo to it. I've found that's better than posting photos direct on the forum, as they usually come out soft... if anything Flickr sharpens them slightly too much, but better that than the other.

Try Flickr as a hosting site and link the URL of the photo to it. I've found that's better than posting photos direct on the forum, as they usually come out soft... if anything Flickr sharpens them slightly too much, but better that than the other.

I normally do. Just didn't really want them on my flickr stream.

I normally do. Just didn't really want them on my flickr stream.
You can mark them as 'private' when uploading, then still link them here and get them to display., but not show to unauthorised people on Flickr. That's what I do when I don't want photos to appear in my Flickr stream.

Perhaps my folding cameras are trying to tell me something. Just putting the Franka Solida II away and the back became unhinged like the Agifold did. Perhaps things from 1956 are starting to become unhinged together and I'm next !

Perhaps my folding cameras are trying to tell me something. Just putting the Franka Solida II away and the back became unhinged like the Agifold did. Perhaps things from 1956 are starting to become unhinged together and I'm next !

I'm happy to report that no such problem occurred with my Ensign Selfix 1620; the back of which features a generous, yet ergonomically efficient, articulated double hinge design, constructed to the sort of enduring quality the discerning owner of a 1950s English Ensign Selfix folding camera has come to expect.

(continuation of a moment of British v German folding camera banter, which arose during the meet-up). ;)

Last edited:
I'm sending my films off to AG today, not had chance before as we had a rush job come in at work. :rolleyes:

As recommended by @simon ess I shot this roll of Shanghai GP3 at 200asa and then opushed it in development (well, Peak Imaging did as I checkened out given I couldn't find times I was comfortable with for the developers I have to hand). The results look really nice. The negs were a little thin, but I've been able to bring out the detail in the scans quite nicely. Kinda feels like a cheapo Acros alternative. :)

Yashicamat 124G
Shanghai GP3 (@200asa)
Lab developed in XTOL

Cadillac Coupe by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Cadillac Coupe by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

At the rally in stovepipe hats by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I'm relieved they worked out ok. ;)

It's pretty much my favourite film and I always push it one stop.

Did I sell some to you Nige? I was worried about not using it but I should probably have put it in the freezer looking at prices now.

Last edited:
I'm relieved they worked out ok. ;)

It's pretty much my favourite film and I always push it one stop.

Did I sell some to you Nige? I was worried about not using it but I should probably have put it in the freezer looking at prices now.

I'd forgotten where I got it from, but yes, looking back through the conversation history it looks like I bought it from you last March (2020) by the looks of things.

Done manual dust spotting (mostly) but think have fixed the IR dust removal on the Plustek 8200i now too ( bad connection on an internal 64 way ribbon cable), So some tuppence coloured shots. I did not expect the film in this camera, loaned to daughter when doing her degree, to be Fujicolor 200 as have not had any of that for many years. The first few shots she took with this film date it to about 2014 !!! That may explain the state of the film, as @simon ess also found with some of his recent shots.

The Chevy Sees You by D M Bloor, on Flickr

T Cut Sir? by D M Bloor, on Flickr

Open wide - say Aaah by D M Bloor, on Flickr

Remote Control Push Chair by D M Bloor, on Flickr

Ground must be a little soft by D M Bloor, on Flickr

On your marks ... by D M Bloor, on Flickr

Last edited:
That may explain the state of the film, as @simon ess also found with some of his recent shots.

I've been doing some frantic googling to see if I can work out the cause of my issue. It really annoys me when I don't know the cause of a problem.

Any road up, I think I may have worked out what the issue might be.

I've never taken seriously the advice about giving film time to warm up after taking out of the fridge. Never had a problem.

It seems possible that some condensation may have formed and over the course of 2 years some pesky bacteria or something has had time to get stuck into the emulsion.

As @Mr Badger suggested, fresh new film is the thing to try.

Had the notification from AG that my films have been dispatched, so hopefully I might be able to post some photos in the next few days. :) My paws are crossed that there's at least something worthwhile amongst them!

Back