F & C Week long trip to Cornwall!

Which week (sat to sat) in May would you prefer?

• 6th - 13th

• 13th - 20th

• 20th - 27th

Results are only viewable after voting.
Working rather than walking - work is a bad word but walk isn't!!! :D

A, yes, I see.... definitely a 4 letter word.

Yeah you should definitely list them here first. And not let @RaglanSurf know until everyone else has a chance....

Sad thing is I can't even remember what lenses I've got for my 54.

I'll definitely put the 5x4 stuff on here first as I can vouch for it but the Linhof kit is going on to ebay as I haven't used it and I will only sell kit on here that I can vouch for. Keep it under your hat... I don't think Nick spotted it earlier. :whistle:

I have a spare v500 power brick around somewhere. Mine stopped working so I bought a new one accidentally plugged the old one in during set up and it worked.
If you can find it that would be great.

I think I may be able to help you with that. :D

Fujinon 135mm f5.6
Nikkor 180mm f5.6
Yamasaki telecongo 240mm f6.3
And an un-named brass lens which appears to be 150mm but has no shutter.

I might be interested in the 135mm, depending on its' value and someone buying some of my other cameras first! Seeing as I'm building a 4x5, I should really have a lens on it :0)

Found it. I've got some scanning to do tomorrow so I'll double check it works and send it off.
Thanks @steveo_mcg that's really appreciated, let me know about postage and I'll sort it out.

Few more from me :) I'll stop soon, honest!

Taken at Bedruthan steps down on the beach after our walk from the house. Despite the harsh contrast, I'm rather happy with this one! As always, click for better view :)

Bedruthan Steps, Cornwall by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

And this one, taken on the sunset that wasn't to be at Godrevy Lighthouse.

Rough seas at Godrevy by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

Thoughts appreciated as always :)

Yes I like both of those, Jonathan. Amazing how despite the contrast I couldn't find any blocked out shadows in that first one.

As you may have guessed, I took quite a lot at Godrevy, most of them nothing interesting happened. I do remember when I was processing them, thinking that I wouldn't want to be trying to take these in LF, as timing is so critical. A fraction of a second out in pressing the shutter and that's another fiver down the drain!

I'd be interested in knowing the shutter speeds. One of the downsides of my long exposure "play" (rather than experiment) was that I used aperture priority and exposure compensation, so only have my memory of the shutter sound plus the results to work out which shutter speeds work for which kind of situations! I'm guessing a couple of seconds for the first and half a second for the second... blimey, that looks odd!

I wanted to take a photo of the amazing clouds on the Thursday evening. I only had slide film left, and I didn't really think that shooting directly at the sun would work very well, but I thought I'd give it a bash anyway. I seem to have got the metering about right and I'm pretty pleased with this one. Looks even better when you hold the slide up to the window!

Nagaoka 4x5 with 150mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Sironar.
Provia 100F developed by Peak Imaging.
1/4 sec at f/16 with no movements.

Porthcothan Sunset
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Last edited:
Do I put my meagre selection of Cornwall pics in here or spread them over this, A Cautionary Tale and the Nutters with Cameras threads??? Decisions, decisions :thinking:

Keep coming back to this one chap. You've really nailed that exposure; as I recall those clouds were quite dark.

I really need to send my frames off to peak. Still not done it yet :/

Keep coming back to this one chap. You've really nailed that exposure; as I recall those clouds were quite dark.

I really need to send my frames off to peak. Still not done it yet :/

Ta! Usually I overthink metering and exposure and get all flustered, but this one seems to have worked ok.

I don't know how you've managed to wait so long sending them off! I did it the day after I got back from the meet haha.

Bedruthen Steps beach. You can see Nikki, Andy & Carl in front of the big rock which will give you some perspective on its size (Nikon FG):

Rocks1 by Janet, on Flickr

A dog made from old welly boots in Padstow (replacement Nikon FG!):

Welly-Dog by Janet, on Flickr

Wheal Coates (Voigtlander R4a):

Wheal-Coates3 by Janet, on Flickr

Woodsy's camera with Wheal Coates on the other side of the bay (Voigtlander R4a):

Woody's-Camera by Janet, on Flickr

From Padstow looking across the estuary to Rock (replacement Nikon FG):

No-Fishing by Janet, on Flickr

Yes I like both of those, Jonathan. Amazing how despite the contrast I couldn't find any blocked out shadows in that first one.

As you may have guessed, I took quite a lot at Godrevy, most of them nothing interesting happened. I do remember when I was processing them, thinking that I wouldn't want to be trying to take these in LF, as timing is so critical. A fraction of a second out in pressing the shutter and that's another fiver down the drain!

I'd be interested in knowing the shutter speeds. One of the downsides of my long exposure "play" (rather than experiment) was that I used aperture priority and exposure compensation, so only have my memory of the shutter sound plus the results to work out which shutter speeds work for which kind of situations! I'm guessing a couple of seconds for the first and half a second for the second... blimey, that looks odd!

Apologies Chris, I meant to reply to you sooner!

With regards to the first one, I don't profess to spend a lot of time metering (especially so with B&W) but I always spot meter. Always. I've literally never done anything else since I've owned this light meter. As you can imagine, it really helps getting the two extremes inside the dynamic range of the film.

I believe these shutter speeds were on the order of 1/2 and 1/4 second respectively. I used a yellow filter and a 3 stop solid ND for the first, and no filters on the second. Both would have been around f/22 - f/32 iirc. To be honest with you, the key is just patience and being aware of the water (especially so in the second). If a wave coming in is not as big as ones you've seen previously, it's likely best to wait. That way when a biggy comes in, you're ready with the cable release. It's not quite £5 per frame... with B&W, even with acros, it's about £2.50 even with the tiny amount of chems. It used to be £1.50 odd before the brexisaster! Grumble.

I like how you can see the composition on the GG of my camera, despite the bright conditions! :D

Yeh, but your horizon is waaay off. :D

Caption: As last orders at the bar fast approach, Andy tries to remember the combination lock number of his wallet as his friends look on helplessly.

I'll have you know young Mr B that I do not own a wallet as I am not allowed any money other than the normal thruppence 'appeny pocket money.

Ok, my take on Godrevy. I'm still unsure about what to do with my large format stuff, sometimes I look at the shots and think 'wow' and at other times it's a 'meh'.

Wista Field, Fujinon 135mm f5.6 on Shanghai GP3
Godrevy5 by Andy, on Flickr

Same combo on Fuji 160NS
P160NS-WF-F135-Godrevy1 by Andy, on Flickr

And one from the Voigtlander R4a, 35mm Nokton on Fuji Superia 200. If anyone recognises this gull please let the police know, he's wanted for ice cream robbery.
Bandits-at-1-oclock by Andy, on Flickr

Do you think a MF 6 x 9 camera would sort scratch the LF itch sort of? What's LF at 135mm the MF and 35mm equivalent of?

Do you think a MF 6 x 9 camera would sort scratch the LF itch sort of? What's LF at 135mm the MF and 35mm equivalent of?
Do you mean what focal length for MF and 35 mm is equivalent to 135 mm on a LF camera? Because that would depend on whether it was 5 x 4 or 10 x 8 or ...

I have had a few 6x9 cameras, a couple of Fuji GW690's and an old Ensign 820, and I do like the size of the negs and the image ratio but the Fuji's in particular were a bit to boxy and boring, albeit with superb lenses. At the moment I'm going to stick with the Rolleiflex and take the Mamiya C330 out for a test run to see if it is light enough to lug around all day. If I want something more oblong I'll shoot a couple of shots and stitch them.
I realise I'm starting to sound like a whinging old git who can't make his mind up but that's probably because I am. :)

We went to Bolton Castle yesterday, lovely spot and some fantastic photo opportunities, and I took the Rollei and a tripod and really enjoyed it. Hopefully the pics will convince me to carry on with MF for a while longer.

Ok, my take on Godrevy. I'm still unsure about what to do with my large format stuff, sometimes I look at the shots and think 'wow' and at other times it's a 'meh'.

Wista Field, Fujinon 135mm f5.6 on Shanghai GP3
Godrevy5 by Andy, on Flickr

Same combo on Fuji 160NS
P160NS-WF-F135-Godrevy1 by Andy, on Flickr

And one from the Voigtlander R4a, 35mm Nokton on Fuji Superia 200. If anyone recognises this gull please let the police know, he's wanted for ice cream robbery.
Bandits-at-1-oclock by Andy, on Flickr

That first one mate is spot on. Really like the composition and the final result is really nice. Not so keen on the second one imho though mate; I feel the composition needs *something* extra - Something more in the foreground perhaps?

Also, 135mm on 5x4 gives approximately the width of a 40mm lens on full frame. MF depends on format.

Back