F & C Week long trip to Cornwall!

Which week (sat to sat) in May would you prefer?

• 6th - 13th

• 13th - 20th

• 20th - 27th

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm struggling to choose from some rather similar shots in the general "sunset/golden hour" category, but I thought this gull eying me up to see whether I have some sort of black ice cream in my hand was worth a starter for ten.

R1-06518-024A by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Pentax-M 35-70 (really, 70-35 given the way it works) f/2.8 lens, Portra 400. A cracker of a lens!

Wing Commander of the Mevagissey Air force!!!!

That's Wing Commander Shy-Talk to you!

Mrs R and I were in Cornwall in June 2016 on a group walking holiday, and on the first day of that trip we went to Godrevy Point... in the rain! It rained so much one of my cameras eventually malfunctioned. It was all very depressing, so when on the Sunday of this year's trip folk wanted to go to St Ives, we decided to go to Godrevy first, and see what the island was like with some sun on it...

R7-06525-0005 by Chris R, on Flickr

That evening some of us came back for "sunset"... well we never saw the sun then, so it didn't qualify as a sunset, but @Woodsy found some rocks below the point with a side view to Godrevy Island. There was a very strong sea, plenty of spray, and I was playing about with longer exposures. There are several that are interesting in various ways. I think I was in general using too slow a shutter speed here for those conditions; I'm not a fan of the "milky" effect. Just picking a couple I reckon this one...

R5-06523-0004 by Chris R, on Flickr

... and this, where the "movement" is better captured...

R7-06525-0035 by Chris R, on Flickr

All three taken with the Pentax LX, Pentax-M 35-70 zoom and Portra 400 film. I suspect the second one was probably taken with a polariser on; I have another where the wet rocks glisten much better, but in that other shot I have over-exposed the sky unrecoverably.

Those are excellent Chris, all different but all very nice indeed.

Mrs R and I were in Cornwall in June 2016 on a group walking holiday, and on the first day of that trip we went to Godrevy Point... in the rain! It rained so much one of my cameras eventually malfunctioned. It was all very depressing, so when on the Sunday of this year's trip folk wanted to go to St Ives, we decided to go to Godrevy first, and see what the island was like with some sun on it...

R7-06525-0005 by Chris R, on Flickr

That evening some of us came back for "sunset"... well we never saw the sun then, so it didn't qualify as a sunset, but @Woodsy found some rocks below the point with a side view to Godrevy Island. There was a very strong sea, plenty of spray, and I was playing about with longer exposures. There are several that are interesting in various ways. I think I was in general using too slow a shutter speed here for those conditions; I'm not a fan of the "milky" effect. Just picking a couple I reckon this one...

R5-06523-0004 by Chris R, on Flickr

... and this, where the "movement" is better captured...

R7-06525-0035 by Chris R, on Flickr

All three taken with the Pentax LX, Pentax-M 35-70 zoom and Portra 400 film. I suspect the second one was probably taken with a polariser on; I have another where the wet rocks glisten much better, but in that other shot I have over-exposed the sky unrecoverably.

Very nice indeed, but just love the last one!

Spent the night scanning and organising my 5x4 photos from the trip. Took a fair while to figure out which notes I'd taken referred to which photos! :LOL: Anyway, here's a couple from the walk up by the cliffs along Porthcothan way that I'm reasonably happy with.

Both on the Nagaoka with 90mm f/8 Super Angulon. Provia 100F developed by Peak. Top one was 1/4th at f/32 and the bottom was 1/8 at f/45.

View attachment 102864

View attachment 102894
Loving the first one , particularly good.

Hate to tell you this folks, but we`ve had clear blue sky all week with temperatures in the 70s.

Hate to tell you this folks, but we`ve had clear blue sky all week with temperatures in the 70s.

To be honest, from a purely photographic point of view, clear blue skies are boring. :D

Although we did have some poor weather, on the days when it was nice those big, fluffy clouds made our shots much more interesting and on the bad days there's enough places to visit indoors to keep us occupied.

Not sure who it was who said landscape photographers would make lousy weather forecasters! "Terrible weather ahead, blue skies forecast all week!" That said, it would have been nicer not to have had quite so much rain and gloominess.

One of the long exposure approaches I wanted to try in Cornwall was capturing the streaks left by retreating waves. I first saw this in a Youtube video by @monkeyleader. This first one was Mawgan Porth beach, I think Monday evening after the Eden trip...

R1-06518-008A by Chris R, on Flickr

On Tuesday, after the Padstow visit, we came back via Porthcothan beach. I didn't have a tripod with me, but got this shot by balancing the camera on a rock at my feet, and aiming it in roughly the right direction. OK the framing isn't quite right, but it was pretty lucky, I think. (The next shot was ruined because I knocked the camera over when I pressed the shutter.) This wave BTW came right round the rock I was on; I think there might be evidence of that elsewhere!

R1-06518-035A by Chris R, on Flickr

Both Pentax LX, Pentax-M 35-70, Portra 400.

Hope you've had a chance to enjoy it and looking forward to seeing the photos :)

One of the long exposure approaches I wanted to try in Cornwall was capturing the streaks left by retreating waves. I first saw this in a Youtube video by @monkeyleader. This first one was Mawgan Porth beach, I think Monday evening after the Eden trip...

R1-06518-008A by Chris R, on Flickr

I really like this one Chris, lovely texture in the water as well as the streaks :)

Both excellent Chris, first one works extremely well.

Cracking shots Chris, would like to see the 2nd one in b&w.

Lots of luvverly detail in that one matey.

A few from me from the Saturday night after the rain cleared. Voigtlander R4a, Nokton 35mm f1.4, on Fuji Superia C200.

The first one is a bit weird and painterly but I quite like it.
Saturday-Sunset3 by Andy, on Flickr

Saturday-Sunset9 by Andy, on Flickr

Saturday-Sunset8 by Andy, on Flickr

Saturday-Sunset7 by Andy, on Flickr

and theFake-Bride by Andy, on Flickr fake bride at Bedruthan

These look SO much better on Flickr at the originally uploaded size. Unfortunately, Flickr's resizing adds so much sharpening that halos appear round every hard edge so posted shots look "less than their best".
Been lovely down this way for the past few days. Looked a bit iffy this morning (indeed, there was apparently a huuuuuge thunderstorm overnight!) but cleared up this afternoon. No pictures - we were out on the bike and/or w**king.

These look SO much better on Flickr at the originally uploaded size. Unfortunately, Flickr's resizing adds so much sharpening that halos appear round every hard edge so posted shots look "less than their best".
Been lovely down this way for the past few days. Looked a bit iffy this morning (indeed, there was apparently a huuuuuge thunderstorm overnight!) but cleared up this afternoon. No pictures - we were out on the bike and/or w**king.

Im hoping you mean walking. :D And thank you.

Thanks everyone for the comments on my shots above. @Woodsy that shot is particularly terrific large; the reeds are mesmerising! @Andysnap, those minimal sunset shots came out much better than mine did, your colours are great, although the firs is indeed a bit weird! ;)

So, Friday, after you'd all left... we had a nice walk in the day, over towards Constantine Beach, good fish and chips at the Merrymoor, then I went out for a bit of a wander on the beach. It had been good blue skies but had clouded over and I wasn't expecting much. I'll only be a few minutes, I said...

R8-06526-0036 by Chris R, on Flickr

Some nice rocks at the eastern end of the beach...

R4-06521-006A by Chris R, on Flickr

More watery wiggles...

R4-06521-016A by Chris R, on Flickr

Walking back across the beach, this big fellow was with his family, then suddenly ran into the sea and started jumping about. He was just coming out when I took this shot; about 1/2 second or so, at first I was going to ditch it because of the blur, but I kind of like it.

R4-06521-020A by Chris R, on Flickr

Sun on fire behind the clouds, far end of the stream at the west of the beach...

R4-06521-022A by Chris R, on Flickr

All on expired Reala 100 shot at 64, Pentax LX, Pentax-M 35-70 zoom, charity shop Cokin grads hand held in front of the lens.

Slept quite well that night!

Those are really impressive Woodsy, I particularly like the first one, the tones and contrast are spot on.

I have had all my 5x4 sheets processed unfortunately my V750 which was working 2 when I scanned in this years bluebell crop weeks ago has now decided not to work. It's just dead, nothing, nada, Im going to try and find a replacement power supply just to eliminate that as a reason, if that doesn't work can anyone recommend a scanner repair company?

Those are really impressive Woodsy, I particularly like the first one, the tones and contrast are spot on.

I have had all my 5x4 sheets processed unfortunately my V750 which was working 2 when I scanned in this years bluebell crop weeks ago has now decided not to work. It's just dead, nothing, nada, Im going to try and find a replacement power supply just to eliminate that as a reason, if that doesn't work can anyone recommend a scanner repair company?

Many thanks chap :)

Ahh man, that's a ballache! If you have a multimeter, you can test the PSU that way? should be giving something like 24V iirc? No idea about repair companies though. Is it in warranty?

In the mean time, I'd be more than happy to scan them for you.

Many thanks chap :)

Ahh man, that's a ballache! If you have a multimeter, you can test the PSU that way? should be giving something like 24V iirc? No idea about repair companies though. Is it in warranty?

In the mean time, I'd be more than happy to scan them for you.
Thanks Woodsy, appreciate the offer. I'll see if I can find a multimeter, I must have one somewhere.

These are very nice Andy, fabulous colours from the Portra. When you're getting such good results from 6x6 why would you want to try any other format?

Thank Nick and yes I know it does seem like I'm searching for a holy grail when I've already got one (possibly said in a ridiculous French accent). I've spent a couple of days cleaning up the Linhof and although its definitely a user it is internally very nice and the lenses are spotless. It is tremendously well made and engineered, everything moves effortlessly, but it is heavy and presents exactly the same problems as large format so it is going to be going on ebay later in the week as I suspect will the Wista and lenses.

I definitely need to de-clutter my cameras. I'm happy with the Voigtlander(s) for 35mm, I'm probably keeping the Rolleiflex (although I may upgrade once I've sold the other stuff) and the Mamiya is still my fave and I will be using it a lot more for landscapes in the future. I just need to get out and use the bloody stuff. :)

Great shots from Chris, Andy, Carl and Woodsy and a few more brownie points for Chris as he knew what type of shot he wanted and IMO achieved it

I think Brian that you have hit a nail very firmly on the head here. I very rarely go out with a shot in mind, just wing it and see what happens, and I think maybe a little more thought beforehand would be useful.

If only we listened to Brian more often...... :)

Great shots from Chris, Andy, Carl and Woodsy and a few more brownie points for Chris as he knew what type of shot he wanted and IMO achieved it
Wise words indeed, spot on (y) Well done @ChrisR great work.

What lenses do you have for the Wista Andy?

I think I may be able to help you with that. :D

Fujinon 135mm f5.6
Nikkor 180mm f5.6
Yamasaki telecongo 240mm f6.3
And an un-named brass lens which appears to be 150mm but has no shutter.

Working rather than walking - work is a bad word but walk isn't!!! :D

I have a spare v500 power brick around somewhere. Mine stopped working so I bought a new one accidentally plugged the old one in during set up and it worked.

I think I may be able to help you with that. :D

Fujinon 135mm f5.6
Nikkor 180mm f5.6
Yamasaki telecongo 240mm f6.3
And an un-named brass lens which appears to be 150mm but has no shutter.

Yeah you should definitely list them here first. And not let @RaglanSurf know until everyone else has a chance....

Sad thing is I can't even remember what lenses I've got for my 54.

Back