F1 2017 season

Audi F1 would be good, they could bring a pedal powered engine and finish ahead of McLaren as is

Audi F1 would be good, they could bring a pedal powered engine and finish ahead of McLaren as is
McLArens chassis is very good, probably around second best, just the engine lacks power and reliability. If they weren't starting from the back every time and/or could finish races, they'd have a decent amount of points, especially with Alonso

He can start a new team
I don't think he has an appetite for that. I actually think that in principle he was right when he decided to move away from customer Mercedes power units to a technical partner engine. The problem has been Honda's inability to provide a competitive and reliable powertrain. Quite sad really.

Vettel said sorry so everything is ok now, the old Ferrari boss said he'll let ferarris new boss and driver off... to everyone's surprise

Saying sorry makes it all alright again
Devoting time outside racing will hurt but then he may just skip that

"Sebastian Vettel extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider motorsport family. He additionally committed to devote personal time over the next 12 months to educational activities across a variety of FIA championships and events.

"The FIA notes this commitment, the personal apology made by Sebastian Vettel and his pledge to make that apology public.

"In light of these developments, FIA president Jean Todt decided that on this occasion the matter should be closed."

Vettel's statement in full
"Concerning the incidents of Baku I'd like to explain myself: During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car.

"With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions. In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realise that I was not setting a good example.

"I had no intention at any time to put Lewis in danger, but I understand that I caused a dangerous situation.

"Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect the decisions that were taken at today's meeting in Paris, as well as the penalty imposed by the stewards in Baku.

"I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can be an example for future generations."

Translated: "I'm very sorry. Once the lawyers and management pointed out to me the possibility of losing points, possible race starts and handing the championship lad over to Hamilton, I of course immediately recognised what I did was wrong and insincerely apologise for any wrongdoing that I didn't do"

DD09PHHXsAA_ZTt

Very poor outcome and not in line with the deliberate actions of Vettel.

If that had been Max on Hamilton, I think the punishment would have been much more severe. Had it been Lewis on Vettel, Seb would have been apoplectic, and again I think the punishment handed out would have been more severe.

Dare I say that the 'politics & undue influence' will always factor in sport sanction decisions.

Fair it will never be, so remains to be seen just how the FIA will act/react next time???

So any repetition... which is what they said last time
Is that any repetition by Vettal or is that any repetition of a similar incident
Ferrari International Assistance is stepping on unsafe ground here, does this ruling mean you get one free chance at making a dangerous knob of yourself before penalties apply
As Vettal was on 9 license points over the last 12 months he should have been grounded for that move, even if they gave him the 3 points after the next race which meant 2 came off and the 3 went on leaving him with only 2 point left to disqualification it would have been justice

Last edited:
the third from last paragraph of the Baku incident can be read two ways Vettals behavior or behavior similar to the nature of the incident Both could be classed as sever enough to warrant the tribunal
This paragraph came after he said the case was closed
He then goes on about all competitors in the last two paragraphs

My home internet connection is borked so not sure if I'll manage to get a race preview post up this week. Depends when an engineer and get to me!

It's Ferrari and Jean Todt is the ex CEO of Ferrari. No way was Vettel ever going to get any more penalties.

‘We have carefully studied Sebastian’s incident with Lewis Hamilton in Baku,’ explained FIA spokesperson Effy Hay-Spowkespersson. ‘And we feel the most appropriate penalty we can impose is to sit him in front of a computer and make him read the endless self-righteous pontificating of armchair blog bores.’

from SniffPetrol
http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/07/04/fia-decides-vettel-punishment/#.WVtnOelw3IW
Yeah yeah I know I shouldnt have an opinion about this or anything that goes on about me We should leave it all to the real experts, its just a pity in all walks of life that they just make a ballcocks of it
Oops that was an opinion

My internet was fixed :)

2017 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH

3UiWrjL.png

Red Bull Ring
Lap length 4.326km (2.688 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 307.02km (190.773 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’08.337 (Michael Schumacher, 2003)
Fastest lap 1’06.228 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 322kph (200.081 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and second straight
Distance from grid to turn one 323m
Full throttle 65%
Longest flat-out section 868m
Downforce level Low/medium
Gear changes per lap 32
Fuel use per lap 1.48kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.056s
Pit lane time loss 16.1s

UK Times
Friday 7th July 2017
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 8th July 2017
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Austrian Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 9th July 2017
Austrian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
Red Bull Ring
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes

2013–2004 Not held

A1-Ring
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2000 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
1999 United Kingdom Eddie Irvine Ferrari
1998 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
1997 Canada Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault

Videos

Perez and Hamilton on board 2014
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Cdfit31sU

Indy500 winner Sato san 2002
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eki3ZeU-GWk

Facts from the previous race

Sebastian Vettel has become the first driver to get three-quarters of the way towards a race ban after being put on nine penalty points at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver was given three penalty points for making contact with Lewis Hamilton during a Safety Car period. That brings him to a total of nine for the current 12-month period. A race ban is automatically applied if a driver reaches 12 points.

Since the penalty points system was introduced at the beginning of 2014 no driver has accumulated more than eight points in a 12-month period. Here’s how Vettel reached nine:
Race Points Incident
2016 British Grand Prix 2 Forced Felipe Massa off the track
2016 Malaysian Grand Prix 2 Caused a collision with Nico Rosberg
2016 Mexican Grand Prix 2 Drove dangerously (incident involving Daniel Ricciardo)
2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 3 Caused a collision with Lewis Hamilton

The largest number of penalty points any driver has been given for a single incident is three. Therefore Vettel is at risk of receiving a one-race ban if he commits a sufficiently seriously offence at the next race.

However this will only be the case at the Austrian Grand Prix, after which Vettel will deduct the two points he incurred at Silverstone last year, and drop to seven. Jolyon Palmer and Carlos Sainz Jnr are currently on seven penalty points, the next-highest after Vettel.

The race saw Daniel Ricciardo take a surprise fifth career victory, from tenth on the grid. The last time anyone started that far back and won was five years ago, when Fernando Alonso won the European Grand Prix in Valencia from eleventh. The last driver to win from tenth on the grid was Kimi Raikkonen in the 2004 Belgian Grand Prix.

All of Ricciardo’s five wins have come from outside the top three places on the grid. He is now tied on wins with world champions Giuseppe Farina and Keke Rosberg, plus Clay Regazzoni, John Watson and Michele Alboreto.

Ricciardo is the fourth different winner of the year and Red Bull are the third different team to win a race. It’s the first time since 2013 – the last year of the V8 era – that more than two teams or engine manufacturers have won a race.

Had it not been for a faulty headrest, Hamilton likely would have won the race. That would have given him a clean sweep by having won at least once on every track on the 2017 F1 calendar. Instead he repeated his 2016 result by finishing fifth.

Hamilton did take his 66th career pole position, moving him one clear of Ayrton Senna on the all-time list and leaving him two short of Michael Schumacher’s record.

It was a big weekend for Lance Stroll who claimed his first podium finish and out-qualified his team mate. It was the first time a Canadian driver had stood on the rostrum since Jacques Villeneuve finished third at the Hockenheimring in 2001.

Had Stroll done it one race earlier he would have beaten Max Verstappen’s record for being the youngest driver on the F1 podium. Stroll was 18 years and 244 days old on race day – 12 days older than Verstappen was when he won in Spain last year. However Stroll is the youngest driver to finish on the podium during his rookie season.

Valtteri Bottas had an unusual trip to the podium. He started where he finished, but only after losing 18 places by colliding with Raikkonen, falling off the lead lap and regaining it under the Safety Car, then passing Stroll for second on the line.

The strange pattern of the race can be seen in that on lap six the eventual podium occupants were running eighth (Stroll), 17th (Ricciardo) and 20th (Bottas). There were also nine different teams in the ten points-scoring positions – only Renault failed to score.

Verstappen’s retirement meant Red Bull Racing have now completed fewer laps than McLaren so far this season. 685 to McLaren’s 716.

Current Standings
7qVwXXU.png

HcsR5E9.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EU5wDl5.jpg

Interesting that Mclaren and Force India have gone aggressive on the ultrasofts.

BRDC set to (note - not definite) terminate GP contract after 2019 : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40518666

It's a negotiating tactic of course, but I think the BDRC would go through with it. Would be unfortunate to lose it, especially given how many of the teams are British, including the "German" Mercedes team (Brackley), the "Indian" Force India team (actually based at Silverstone), the "French" Renault team (Enstone) and the "Austrian" Red bull team (in the well known Austrian city of Milton Keynes) and how many people actually turn up to watch despite the prices that have to be charged to make the event not lose so much money as to cripple the circuit.

I would be less sorry to lose one of the other historic venues - Monaco - but they don't have arguments about their race fee as they don't pay one.

Well LH has :dummy::dummy::dummy:god sake man grow up and leave the past behind you. I use to like him once, but always finds fault, his mate wins and Vettel #2 and he still moans that Vettel did not get a punishment enough to please him ( LH ) so move on to the next race.
I'm afraid that LH and SV just annoy the hell out of me, total whingers who never accept anything is their fault. It is fine pretending to be all humble when you win, but seeing how they behave when things don't go their way shows the true character of these spoilt children.

Highly strung people but both excellent racers, which I would prefer to "sorry old chap bumped your car" drivers
Seb is on a severe probation should he swear at another official or deliberately bumps wheels Jean has said he will take strong action against him
Probably sit him in a corner and tell him "harshly" he is a naughty naughty boy and smack both wrists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40548796

Max Mosley was interested in administering the corporal punishment but his interest was reduced when it was revealed that he would be smacking Vettel's wrists rather than Vettel smacking his ar5e...

Highly strung people but both excellent racers, which I would prefer to "sorry old chap bumped your car" drivers
Seb is on a severe probation should he swear at another official or deliberately bumps wheels Jean has said he will take strong action against him
Probably sit him in a corner and tell him "harshly" he is a naughty naughty boy and smack both wrists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40548796

I can live with the pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable, much like Senna and Scumacher did in the past, what annoys the hell out of me is the total denial that anything they do is their fault, but when anyone else does anything that they should be punished. The pair of the are hugely hypocritical in my opinion. Lets see how long the Mercedes love in lasts if Bottas is allowed to win a few more races, not that, that will happen...

[QUOTE="rick448, post: 7880963, member: 76748"e hugely] Lets see how long the Mercedes love in lasts if Bottas is allowed to win a few more races, not that, that will happen...[/QUOTE]
Working on that assumption I would have expected bottas to back the furries up into Lewis but that didnt happen, mainly because mercs are winning the constructors race at the moment and getting great publicity out of it, to them it dosnt matter who wins the drivers championship as long as merc wins

I can live with the pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable, much like Senna and Scumacher did in the past, what annoys the hell out of me is the total denial that anything they do is their fault, but when anyone else does anything that they should be punished. The pair of the are hugely hypocritical in my opinion. Lets see how long the Mercedes love in lasts if Bottas is allowed to win a few more races, not that, that will happen...

It will end up just like when he fell out with Alonso, like you say IT Will happen.

Don't worry everyone, Jolyon will have a fresh start next Saturday, it's a new weekend, anything can happen

And Vettal was at his "Schumacher'ist" best again in the post race interview saying he felt his claim that Bottas had jumped the lights, even though the timings show his reaction time was just better than Vettal, was right and that the timings appraisal and the stewards (Charlie Whiting???) were wrong.

I wonder what he would have said had he been blacked flagged as a result of his action in Baku even in the face of the evidence which he appears to accept (grudgingly!) now that he did wrong?

I wonder what he would have said had he been blacked flagged as a result of his action in Baku even in the face of the evidence which he appears to accept (grudgingly!) now that he did wrong?
What makes you think he accepts it now
Its hard to grovel and say the telemetry is wrong and so are you

What makes you think he accepts it now
Its hard to grovel and say the telemetry is wrong and so are you

I did say appears to accept..........he comes across as someone who sees truth in a different reality to those that govern the sport! ;). Hmmm! But then with Todt in charge the FIA decision did attract some negative feedback!

It will end up just like when he fell out with Alonso, like you say IT Will happen.

Not sure Hamilton fell out with Alonso? They were sharing information in the rookie year, then Alonso didn't like when he started beating him, so refused to share his, but demanded Hamiltons, tried to undermine Hamilton in the team, then in the end went running to the FIA to tell tales. Not Alonso's finest time at McLaren...

I think DC got it right.......the parallel world of Vettel!

Back