F1 2017 season

DNF last year

XPB_844119_HiRes.jpg

Last edited:
The rumour is cosworth is in the mix with Aston for engines dependent on the new rules

I think Ross knows what he's doing, he is a fan as well and he will want proper engines back and cheaper too to get more manufacturers on board, everyone can test electric in formula-e (which should be an f1 support race)

In 2021 if we had Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda, aston/cosworth and Porsche/Audi/VW branded engines too, an Alfa Romeo branded Ferrari engine wouldn't be so bad either and back up to 24+ cars (jolyon couldn't get a seat then either hahaha)

The rumour is cosworth is in the mix with Aston for engines dependent on the new rules

Yes, I think it does depend on new rules and if they can cap costs or limit dyne time or something, could be good if they do come in as another manufacturer :)

Possable 5 grid place drop for Seb in Japan if gearbox was damaged with strolls wheel

Possable 5 grid place drop for Seb in Japan if gearbox was damaged with strolls wheel
Weird accident. Vettel seemed to cut the corner from where he was in front of Stroll. Not sure how Stroll escaped without damage if he ran into Vettel as Vettel said.

Before climbing onto the side of the car, Vettel removed his steering wheel and took it with him.

That contravened article 22.5 of the sporting regulations, which says: "A driver who abandons a car must leave it in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, with the ERS shut down and with the steering wheel in place."

No action has been taken against Vettel over the matter.

When asked by Autosport why he took the wheel with him, Vettel replied: "It was a sort of reflex.

"I saw Pascal was stopped and I couldn't get the steering wheel back on because the steering column was completely turned.

"Obviously the car was damaged. I put it in the seat, and it was reflex - sometimes they open the track to spectators, so I thought that's the only loose bit.

"Because I couldn't put it on I thought I might as well take it with me just to make sure.

"You don't want to lose a steering wheel. Was it necessary? Probably not."

Only didn't he go back and take it off to take with him? And again no action taken against him - remember Hamilton got points on his licence when Stewards stuck to the letter of the law.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-f1-stewards-ridiculous-reprimands-russian-gp
Of course vettel faces a one race ban for any more infractions. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it...

Last edited:
Stroll says why should he be checking his mirrors as the race is over
Lauda says why would Vettal be overtaking after the race is over
Seb says stroll didnt see him and drove into him

The loser is Seb who ever was at fault

Didn't Webber get into trouble for accepting a sidepod ride on a slow down lap a few years back?

Or probably the most famous, when Nigel Mansell gave Ayrton Senna a lift.

Didn't Webber get into trouble for accepting a sidepod ride on a slow down lap a few years back?
Yes but he wasnt driving a ferrari

Only the gearbox has been sent back to the factory for 'inspection'. I bet it'll be found there was 'no damage'.

I am guessing there must be some indepenant check to ensure that the teams play by the rules? ;)

I am guessing there must be some indepenant check to ensure that the teams play by the rules? ;)

Yeah they send Jean Todt over to have a cup of coffee and make sure that everything is "legit" ;)

There are FIA seals placed onto vital components. These are deemed as changed if the seals are broken, which has happened in the past. Ferrari deliberately broke a seal on Massas gearbox in the US grandprix in 2012 so that he took a 5 place penalty which just happened to move Alonso up the grid one place and onto the cleaner side of the track. Hamilton did the same in Spa one year when starting at the back of the grid due to many engine penalties, allowing him a new gearbox at the next race.

No surprise there then. Amazingly strong gearbox that can have the half shaft wrenched out without any damage. ;)
Just how many changes on engine and gearbox parts left does better have without penalty? :)

My old Renault 12 survived a half-shaft exit and that was metal so probably weaker than a CF unit!
Of course, the 'box might self destruct at Suzuka anyway - hopefully during the race so they can't get him back into the fray. Karma!

2017 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

hpHnqpg.png

Suzuka International Racing Course
Lap data
Lap length 5.807km (3.608 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 307.471km (191.054 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’31.540 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2005)
Fastest lap 1’28.954 (Michael Schumacher, 2006, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 328kph (203.81 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight
Distance from grid to turn one 405m
Full throttle 66%
Longest flat-out section 994m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 48
Fuel use per lap 1.89kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.074s

UK Times
Friday 6th October 2017
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 2:00-3:30)
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 6:00-7:30)
Saturday 7th October 2017
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 4:00-5:00)
Japanese Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 7:00)
Sunday 8th October 2017
Japanese Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 6:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2011 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2008 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault Fuji
2007 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes Fuji
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

Schumacher 2004 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLnx2AL77k

Prost 1989 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PBvTHWazs

Facts from the previous race

Max Verstappen took the second victory of his Formula One career on the day after his 20th birthday. He is the 75th driver to win more than one race, joining Valtteri Bottas who took his second win in Austria.

For the time being at least, Verstappen is among a rare group of drivers who’ve won more than one race despite never having started from pole position. That list is topped by Eddie Irvine, who never started from pole position but won four races. Irvine scored his final win in the first Malaysian Grand Prix in 1999; Verstappen’s victory yesterday will be the last in Malaysia for now.

The other drivers who won multiple races without starting from pole position are Bruce McLaren (four), Peter Collins and Johnny Herbert (three each), Pedro Rodriguez and Maurice Trintignant (two each). But it’s hard to imagine Verstappen will never start a race from pole position.

Verstappen’s team mate Daniel Ricciardo won three races before taking his first pole position in Monaco last year. And Michael Schumacher made it to five wins before his first pole in the 1994 Monaco Grand Prix.

Lewis Hamilton took his ninth pole position of the season which means he has won the Pole Position Trophy for 2017. It’s the third year in a row he’s claimed the award, which was introduced in 2014 and first won by Nico Rosberg. Had the trophy been awarded since the beginning of the world championship Hamilton would also have won it in 2008 and 2012, and shared it with other drivers in 2007 (Felipe Massa) and 2009 (Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button).

Hamilton took his fourth consecutive pole position in Malaysia and equalled Schumacher’s record of five at the Sepang circuit. It was the 70th pole position of his career. He took two-and-a-half seconds off the track record for Sepang but fell short of breaking the 90-second lap time barrier by 0.077 seconds.

Kimi Raikkonen missed out on pole position by 0.045s, which is the sixth time this year pole has been decided by less than a tenth of a second. Unfortunately he didn’t get to start from that position due to his pre-race power unit failure. He has therefore failed to complete a lap in either of the last two races. The last driver to suffer this was Felipe Massa, who didn’t get beyond lap one at Silverstone and Hockenheim in 2014.

With Vettel starting from the back of the grid due to technical problems in qualifying, Red Bull seized the opportunity to get both their cars home on the podium for the first time this year. The 2017 season will end with Sepang being the only track where Mercedes have failed to win in the last three years.

This is unfortunate for Mercedes given that their title sponsor Petronas is Malaysian. At least they won’t have to worry about it next year as the race isn’t on the 2018 F1 calendar.

Hamilton did finish second, however, which is his 20th consecutive points-scoring finish. The all-time record of 27 is held by Raikkonen.

Verstappen’s race-winning time of one hour, 30 minutes and 1.29 seconds is the shortest ever seen for a full-length Malaysian Grand Prix. The only shorter race was the 2009 running which lasted 55 minutes as it was reduced in distance from 56 laps to 31 due to heavy rain and poor visibility.

From 20th on the grid Vettel made light work of the field as he climbed to finish in fourth place, setting a new lap record on the way. He made up 16 places which is the most of any driver this year. Team mate Raikkonen hasn’t finished more than one place higher than his starting position all season.

Malaysia’s last race was the first for Pierre Gasly as Daniil Kvyat suffered a mid-season ousting for the second year in a row. Gasly had to endure the sapping Sepang heat without a drink, much as Kvyat had to at Singapore in 2014. And in an unusual parallel, Kvyat’s demotion was immediately followed by a win for Verstappen, just as was the case in Spain last year.

Current Standings
yiy67KW.png

14nWRAu.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
pkeO0wd.jpg

Don't think Seb ever see's any incident as his fault, unless the FIA are about to ban him of course. Felt sorry for Max and Kimi though but that was a lot more than a 'slight' move to the left as Seb described it. Think Lewis would have done well in those conditions without the crash too.

Unlikely due to FIA, Ferrari International Assistance.

Told that the new footage had come to light at Suzuka by Sky F1, a relieved Stroll added: "I'm definitely not taking the blame for it."

But Vettel responded: "I don't think he looked in his mirrors, he wasn't aware. He said he was just picking up rubber but picking up rubber doesn't justify changing direction and driving into someone."

What a tosser

Told that the new footage had come to light at Suzuka by Sky F1, a relieved Stroll added: "I'm definitely not taking the blame for it."

But Vettel responded: "I don't think he looked in his mirrors, he wasn't aware. He said he was just picking up rubber but picking up rubber doesn't justify changing direction and driving into someone."

What a tosser

You can see from the footage, he didn't change direction, how vettel can blame anyone but himself is beyond me, his gearbox should've broken too

Sod "Hammer time", that's Sharpie time! (Probably the only way Max could get a 'tache!)

Max's contract expires at the end of 2018. Talk already of Mercedes trying to get him as a driver.

And the Smiths.

Don't think Lewis would like that. I think Max, in time, could prove to be one of the best F1 drivers ever.
I dont think it would worry him as much as it would seb, having max as his team mate. I reckon the German dummy would be well spit out

Don't think Lewis would like that. I think Max, in time, could prove to be one of the best F1 drivers ever.

Lewis has always pushed his best when challenged by his teammate. He out performed Alonso until Alonso started playing dirty because he was beating him. Only his DNF's allowed Rosberg to become WC.
Even this season at the start, Bottas was pushing him and he wasn't flustered. They work well together although Bottas seems to have broken with Hamiltons form after the summer break.

Back