F1 2017 season

Jolyon is out after this race, gasly/kyvat at toro Rosso and sainz/hulk at Renault for the us gp

It must be so disheartening for Bottas the more he tries Lewis just goes round faster
The first two sectors were outstanding lewis and the merc the last was down to the merc driven by Lewis
Roll on tommorow

I can’t see anyone getting near LH tomorrow. I’m not a fan, but he’s certainly fast.

Do we thing the "pu vibration" comment was for Ferrari or genuine reason?

Never see what is seen in Sainz, he makes too many mistakes, as seen again today

He's a consistent performer and toro rossos main points scorer, besides, Renault would take anyone right now, I imagine Maldonado was getting phone calls haha

According to Toto post race it was a wrong assumption by Hamilton and was just a tyre issue.
Or was that just toto trying to plug the media rush on lewis's claims of an engine issue?

I wonder what the real issue with Vettel's car was. I don't buy the spark plug explanation since that would be a relatively quick and easy fix - just replace them along with the coil packs. Brings to mind the old joke about there having been an electrical problem some years ago - "A conrod came out through the side of the crankcase and knocked the alternator off - an electrical issue."

Seb just needs one more driving infringement to qualify for a 10 point grid drop
He picked up No1 in Monaco (crossing pit line) and No2 today for missing the national anthem at the start
Three reprimands 2 of which are driving infringements in a season gets you a ten place drop ( UNLESS the FIA are involved and can find a way out of it )

Are the spark plugs on Sebs car in the gearbox, just a thought

How can you be so cynical? There's no space beside the hidden supercharger...

So thats what they put in the place left by ditching the auxiliary oil for burning tank

That or a NOx bottle!

So thats what they put in the place left by ditching the auxiliary oil for burning tank

Though a lot of their issues seem to have begun after the oil burn was clamped down on, those additives must have turned the oil into serious ultra powered go juice :p.

I'm a delivery driver and steel toe caps are banned in case of front end collisions, we have to wear hi-vis though

Im intrigued, what is the reason for banning steel toe caps regarding front end collisions?

They have a max rated weight/pressure they can bear, Above this the plate can be bent in and amputate toes, with a worse outcome than crushing is my understanding.

I wonder what the real issue with Vettel's car was. I don't buy the spark plug explanation since that would be a relatively quick and easy fix - just replace them along with the coil packs. Brings to mind the old joke about there having been an electrical problem some years ago - "A conrod came out through the side of the crankcase and knocked the alternator off - an electrical issue."

It's the packaging of the engines these days. It's not so simple to change a plug and coil pack. I think earlier in the season they've stressed the engines, run them over and beyond to wring out the performance, so now are paying the penalty of reliability, as you're only allowed 4 power units without penalty.

Seb just needs one more driving infringement to qualify for a 10 point grid drop
He picked up No1 in Monaco (crossing pit line) and No2 today for missing the national anthem at the start
Three reprimands 2 of which are driving infringements in a season gets you a ten place drop ( UNLESS the FIA are involved and can find a way out of it )

Are the spark plugs on Sebs car in the gearbox, just a thought

His driving did stand at 7 (he's just lost 3, others expire this month)
2 points at Malaysian GP for a Collision expires 02-Oct-17
2 points at Mexican GP for Driving dangerously expires 30-Oct-17
3 points Azerbaijan GP for a Collision expires 25-Jun-18

Which explains why he's escaped so many penalties recently for his hot headed behaviour, they didn't want to be accused of ruining the championship fight by banning him a race, which means he's been treated very leniently.

I wonder what the real issue with Vettel's car was. I don't buy the spark plug explanation since that would be a relatively quick and easy fix - just replace them along with the coil packs.
You do realise that an F1 engine is not like an A-series in a Mini where you open the bonnet and the plugs are pointing straight at you?

The internal combustion engine part is a very tight package with a ton of ancilliaries including two energy recovery systems around it, changing a spark plug is not a trivial operation.

What can they do. If they gave him a warning or whatever it would be a mockery after letting vettel ride on the side pod at the last race.

I wonder if it had been Hamilton riding on the pod would it have been dismissed so easily.

Well, there's one conspiracy theory doing the rounds that they swapped Vettel and kimis car as Vettels had an issue.

"While we are at it why DID Vettel take his steering wheel with him? Why did Ferrari widthdraw "Kimi's ???? " car off the front of the grid ? Why did a driver of Vettels experience "accidentally crash" into Stroll on the cool down lap ?

Well remembering that Ferrari have the FIA and Chase Carey by the short and curlies here's a rumour going the rounds and i for one could easily believe it's true.

Vettel actually drove Raikkonens car badged up as his in the GP. Ferrari "retired" "Kimi's " car so as not to have it inspected too closely. Vettel DELIBERATELY crashed into Stroll's Williams so that the car didnt get inspected thoroughly and was delivered back to the Ferrari pit instead of driving into parc ferme along with its steering wheel. Oh yes that steering wheel. Why take it with you ? Well obviously so that the FIA couldnt inspect it. Oh and why Hitch a ride on the sidepod of a Ferrari engined passing Sauber and precariously cling onto a slippery sidepod after dropping the steering wheel into the tub of the Sauber, quite a dangerous thing seeing how cramped it is in there, when there was a perfectly good and much more comfy safety car driven by FIA personel just behind ? Silly me forgot FIA personell as in we'll take that steering wheel Sebastian.

So wonder whose Ferrari Seb will be driving this race ? and what indiscretions will Ferrari be allowed to get away with YET again by Jean Todt ?

Then there’s the very prophetic quote
"We are behind in the championship so we need to score much more than them. How we achieve it doesn't matter as long as we achieve it," said Vettel."

But there are fia cameras in the garages to check times and keep everything above board, surely they would notice a bright red Ferrari mechanic scratching the numbers off and putting new ones on haha, also they'd have to switch the cars either side of the garage without opening the garage

I think it is much more likely the Ferrari engine can't keep going at the speed it has been due to reliability and Seb loses his temper behind the wheel and it leads to silly mistakes

Ferrari international assistance? :D
The conspiracy theorists will then point out that when Vettel retired he parked in Kimi's side of the garage (ignoring the mechanics chairs in Vettels side...) :D

I did say it was a conspiracy theory. Realistically they've hit the same issue Mercedes had earlier when they admitted they'd turned the engines up too much so were unreliable, so they turned them down. I too think Ferrari are now hitting the reliability issues based on how they've been stressing the engines in previous races.

2017 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

nm4ZDNb.png

Circuit of The Americas
Lap data
Lap length 5.513km (3.426 miles)
Race laps 56
Race distance 308.728km (191.835 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’39.347 (Sebastian Vettel, 2012)
Fastest lap 1’34.999 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 333kph (206.917 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) First and second straight
Distance from grid to turn one 364m
Full throttle 59%
Longest flat-out section 1090m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 66
Fuel use per lap 1.88kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.071s

UK Times
Friday 20th October 2017
United States Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 16:00-17:30)
United States Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 20:00-21:30)
Saturday 21st October 2017
United States Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 17:00-18:00)
United States Grand Prix Qualifying: 16:00 (UK time: 22:00)
Sunday 22nd October 2017
United States Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 20:00)

Previous Winners
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes

Videos

Vettel 2013 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQPN2eTPswU

Patrick Depailler onboard 1978 Long Beach
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hADkXWaQK0

Facts from the previous race

Surely the most bizarre stat from the Japanese Grand Prix was the symmetry between Lewis Hamilton’s pole position time and race-winning time.

In qualifying he did one lap of Suzuka in one minute, 27.31 seconds. The next day he completed 53 laps in one hour, 27 minutes and 31 seconds. Throw in the fact that 1+27+31 equals 59, which is Hamilton’s championship lead over Sebastian Vettel, and it’s enough to make your head explode.

The championship has swung dramatically in Hamilton’s favour. Sunday was the second time in three races he’d scored a maximum, 25 points while Vettel came away with nothing.

It’s reminiscent of the huge points swing which cost Hamilton the championship ten years ago, when a win was worth ten points and Kimi Raikkonen came from 17 down with two races left to take the title. Cases like this give Vettel some cause for comfort.

There are many ways to illustrate how tough the last three races have been for Vettel. Perhaps the most striking is that in that time he’s scored just 12 points, the same as Stoffel Vandoorne.

But while Vettel has undoubtedly had a tough three races, it doesn’t tell the whole story in terms of the championship. He signed a new three-year contract with Ferrari ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix and since then has led exactly three laps.

Vettel has only headed the field in three of the last ten races and in two of those he was ahead for just three laps. Hamilton has now led more than twice as many laps as Vettel this year.

This was Hamilton’s 61st career win, leaving him 30 shy of Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of 91. His last 30 wins have come over the course of the last two years and 341 days. If he continues at his current rate of victories, Hamilton could tie with Schumacher some time in late 2020.

Hamilton’s eighth win of the year means he has now won twice as many as Vettel and no one can win more races than him this year. More importantly, it means he can clinch the drivers’ title in Austin and Mercedes can win the constructors’ championship too.

Ferrari were leading the constructors’ championship ten races ago but now they face a growing threat from Red Bull who’ve out-scored them in all of the last three races. They are 92 points behind with 172 available over the remaining races

Red Bull got both cars on the podium in the last two races, something they hadn’t done since the V6 hybrid turbo era began. They ended the V8 era with double podium finishes in each of the last three rounds.

Hamilton took his first Suzuka pole position at his ninth attempt on Saturday. Hamilton has now started from pole position at least once at every track on the calendar, and Baku remains the only venue where he is yet to win. Of course both of these stats will change next year with the addition of Paul Ricard to the 2018 F1 calendar.

For the third race in a row the qualifying battle between the Red Bull drivers was incredibly close. Max Verstappen prevailed in Singapore and Malaysia by 0.026s and 0.054s respectively but in Japan it was Daniel Ricciardo’s turn to shine, coming out ahead by 0.026s. This was despite the pair running substantially different downforce levels on their cars which meant Ricciardo was 4kph quicker on the straights but Verstappen gained almost all of that back in the corners.

Two drivers started their final races with their current teams. For Jolyon Palmer his 35th race for Renault may also have been his last in F1.

Carlos Sainz Jnr, who will take his place, bowed out of Toro Rosso after 56 starts for the team. He is their second longest-serving driver of all time with one more start than Sebastien Buemi and two less than Jean-Eric Vergne. However Daniil Kvyat will surpass the lot of them if he returns for the team next year.

While Sainz failed to score a point on Sunday Esteban Ocon did, making it his tenth points score in a row. He was also a classified finisher for the 25th race in a row since the beginning of his F1 career, equalling the record set by Max Chilton in 2014.

Current Standings
yiy67KW.png

WWdh5lj.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
lqK6wJz.jpg

Max has just been rather stupid, he’s called the steward an idiot and called for a fan boycott of next year’s race in his post race interview on c4. As Eddie Jordan says, it’s stupid and impetuous and could lead to further disciplinary action against him.

Max has just been rather stupid, he’s called the steward an idiot and called for a fan boycott of next year’s race in his post race interview on c4. As Eddie Jordan says, it’s stupid and impetuous and could lead to further disciplinary action against him.

And yet the Stewards can sit in their ivory towers and not have to justify or be held to account for their decisions. It’s ruined a good race where everyone including Vettel exceeded track limits. Plus Finnish driver steward makes decision that benefits Finnish driver. In what other sport are those who apply the rules not independent from the participants?

But like in all other sports insulting the officials on live TV or calling for a boycott would lead to a sanction...

He’s stupid, as is the team, he should have been babysat by someone from the team till he had calmed down and not let loose to give interviews.

Back