F1 season 2016

Hallelujah

Formula 1 has opted to lift its controversial ban on radio transmissions with immediate effect

The decision has been taken following Thursday's meeting of the Strategy Group in Geneva, receiving unanimous support from FIA president Jean Todt, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the six teams involved - Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams and Force India.

Ecclestone told Autosport: "We've decided to open up radio communication again. Everyone will again be able to say what they want."

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-...-messages-in-f1-lifted_sto5700950/story.shtml

And Bernie goes in reverse again but of coarse he never suggested these cars were too easy too drive and the engineers were driving them from the pits did he

Probably because Hamilton's been whineing on & on about Rosberg's pole lap.

Excerpt from Charlie Whitings press conference
Going back to the yellow flag. Can I ask you about the degree of lobbying you've had from the drivers in one direction or another since Sunday night on the waved double yellows and the severity of the reaction?
CW: None. I'm sure we'll get a little bit of discussion this evening but I've had no lobbying from drivers. I've read a few bits and pieces from them but no, nothing.
Full press conference
http://www.pitpass.com/56901/Charlie-Whiting-press-conference

Probably because Hamilton's been whineing on & on about Rosberg's pole lap.

Actually it was brought up I the drivers meeting, mostly because 3 teams spoke to Charlie after the race.
Whilst Hamilton brought it up I. The press conference, other teams were also concerned that several drivers abandoned laps, yet Rosberg could set the fastest time through the sector, whilst showing he lifted for 0.2 sec, yet still went through the corner quicker than before and hence carried extra speed.
This is just another safety measure put in place to slow drivers at incidents when they want to try to steal as much advantage as possible.

Vestapens driving standards were also discussed in the drivers meeting

I haven't seen the driver's meeting, it's just that Hamilton talked about it after Hungary quali, after the race & said he would raise it again in Germany.

On a drying track there was always a chance that Rosberg could slow down through the flags - 20kph slower through the corner, having lifted early, according to him - & still make uo enough time elswhere, & set the fastest time. Clearly the stewards looked at it, with all their extra info, & were happy there was no infringement. That should have been the end of it IMHO.

Were there any conclusions about Verstappen?

Last edited:
Its how slow is slow that is causing the rumbles hence red flag, that stops any advantage for anyone, unfortunate for those on a flying lap that have passed the incident

Drivers meeting isnt published, bits will be leaked at some point especially about blocking under braking
Here is some of it leaked
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/31...g-of-f1-driving-standards-says-jenson-button?

Charlies answer
Charlie, on the Verstappen-Raikkonen incident in Hungary, particularly the one down to Turn Two, while he was obviously within the rules to do with crowding off the track, some of the drivers feel that those moves were too late and too sudden in the braking zone. I know they're going to raise it with you later, as I'm sure you do too. What's your view on that situation?
CW: A lot of people, including the teams concerned, felt that Max had moved more than once to defend his position, which we don't believe he did. There's no actual rule about moving in the braking zone, although it's a fairly undesirable thing according to most drivers. Obviously we will discuss this later. I think it was on the edge of being fair. But I asked the stewards to look at both incidents during the race and I asked them to review it again after the race and they felt it was firm but fair. 'Robust defence' I think was the expression they used.

Last edited:
Quite enjoyed that race, Rosberg mugged off the line and again being penalised for his crap defensive driving.

Hamilton probably couldn't have expected an easy win and no Rosberg on the podium.

Reactions: BBR
It was a lot less tense afterwards too, maybe they should only let one merc driver up there each race

Sounds like it'll be worth watching the highlights show later...

Hum according to Mercedes, Hamilton went to speak to Charlie whiting to clarify the double waved flags and speed issue.

Glad I didnt read above before I saw the highlights
Most enjoyable race
The Mac's are getting faster as the williams are slowing down
Max doing darey doos in the overtaking department
Rosberg doing what he is best at crap driving under pressure and how dare anyone say I was in the wrong
Coulthard to Lewis "you have to feel sorry for your team mate" Lewis pure silence price less

As for the race, how did Rosberg claim he had the wheel on full lock? He didn't bother turning until he'd make sure he'd run Vestapen off the track.
Good overtaking track, not quite as many as gp2 and gp3 but still good.

Well done button, good result, shame alonso was more fuel limited, but the mclaren is looking a lot better.

Wired how the tyres worked out for the red bulls, with Ricardo being on the right ones at the right time, but a good result for red bull.

And vettel, not trusting the team and insisting on staying out. That speaks volumes.

Welcome back team comms.

Hum according to Mercedes, Hamilton went to speak to Charlie whiting to clarify the double waved flags and speed issue.
True he should have gone to his team not charlie direct thats protocol
But he was not the only one as there seemed no difference between yellow and waved yellow
The stewards looked at the incident and okay-ed it Charlie must have been worried by it and asked them to look at it again with the same results but the worry was how slow is slow under waved yellow, as this is not answerable so the red flag is used as of now instead of waved yellow, sorted (or is it?)

Last edited:
Needs glasses for his hindsight. To get little more than a slapped wrist for it first time he did it was bad enough but to pretty much get away with it again is extracting the urine. AND Mercedes have renewed his contract! Maybe there's a "no taking your teammate off again" clause?

Nico on how he didnt do anything wrong and passing the blame onto max
"It was racing, you know?" he said. "I was really ecstatic at the time and that was awesome that I came from miles behind and was very happy to get the position because it meant second place at least. [It was] damage limitation of sorts, and I was surprised to get a penalty for it."

Verstappen moved across on Rosberg under braking and the Mercedes driver said that contributed to him going so deep beyond the apex.

"For sure it made it more difficult, yes," he said. "That was discussed on Friday [at the drivers' briefing] and we were supposed to try to avoid that."

Yeah I heard the press conference. At the time it looked like verstapen didn't expect him to come in from so far away, went to take the normal line and moved leaving him room. I thought Rosberg took him way off track, partly because 'well if Lewis can get away with it against me...' and also partly probably because of previous incidents of blocking and discussions in the drivers meeting. Payback. As Christian Horner said, the only thing he really did wrong was not to lock a wheel to emphasis his move.

But then thats racing drivers, always someone elses fault

Ah missed this:

As a result of the incident involving Verstappen, Rosberg was also issued two penalty points on his F1 Super License, with the FIA saying he: "Forced car 33 off the track in turn six and gained a lasting advantage."

2016 FORMULA 1 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

SmRjcw1.png

Spa-Francorchamps
Lap data
Lap length 7.004km (4.352 miles)
Race laps 44
Race distance 308.052km (191.415 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’47.263 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Fastest lap 1’44.503 (Jarno Trulli, 2009, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 324kph (201.324 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Kemmel straight
Distance from grid to turn one 265m

UK Times
Friday 26th August 2016
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 27th August 2016
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 28th August 2016
Belgian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2006 Not held
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2003 Not held
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes

Videos
Vettel 2009 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdIvrOgBuj8

Mansell 1992 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ldgHKh_th8

Facts From Previous Race

The 2016 season opened with four consecutive wins for Nico Rosberg and heads into the summer break on the back of four consecutive wins for Lewis Hamilton.

This is the first time two different drivers have won four consecutive races in the same season. Hamilton also became the first driver to win four races in the same calendar month.

That’s partly because this was only the second time in F1 history we’ve had four races in the same month. The previous occasion, in July 2005, saw three different winners: Fernando Alonso in France and Germany, Juan Pablo Montoya in Britain and Kimi Raikkonen in Hungary.

The packed 21-race 2016 calendar means we will have another run of four races in one month later this year: the Malaysian, Japanese, United States and Mexican Grands Prix all take place in October.

Hamilton’s 49th career victory means when the season resumes he has a strong chance to overhaul Alain Prost tally of 51 wins, making him the second most successful driver by that count, and of course matching Prost’s four world championship titles.

Rosberg notched up the 27th pole position of his career which moved him ahead of Mika Hakkinen and means there are now only eight drivers in F1 history with more pole positions. At the same track 30 years ago Rosberg’s father Keke took the fifth and final pole position of his career.

A poor start for Rosberg meant that the pole sitter did not lead at the end of lap one for the seventh time out of twelve races this year, ten of which were standing starts.

Daniel Ricciardo made his 100th grand prix start. He follows Jack Brabham, Alan Jones and Mark Webber as the fourth Australian driver to reach a century, and all of them were race winners.

He celebrated the milestone with a podium finish. With Max Verstappen joining him on the rostrum, it was the first double podium for Red Bull since last year’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

Ricciardo also set the fastest lap of the race. This was the sixth of his career, putting him level with Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Emerson Fittipaldi, Carlos Reutemann and Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

Finally, Esteban Gutierrez’s frustrating wait for a point continues. He finished 11th for the fourth time this year.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
2016tyresetsbelgium.jpg

Championship Standings
I3zEwB6.png

KjVLsO8.png

No one can say today's race has been boring...

Hamilton having a stormer from the back.

One of the best races for a long time. Glad Kevin was OK. Some very good drives from alonso Hamilton and both force indias.

Good race the new rules are starting to even out (excluding Merc) making competitive racing but of course they will be changing them next year
Max is in the trying too hard period, he hasnt learnt no race is won on the first corner but saying that I reckon that move would have worked had Seb not turned in sharp What was annoying was the blocking of Kimi, the stewards will rein him in shortly
He certainly adds colour and fans to the stands

Have Red Bull poached the old Ferrari legal team? ;)

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO HEINEKEN D'ITALIA

lV3pMcH.png

Monza
Lap data
Lap length 5.793km (3.6 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 306.72km (190.587 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’21.046 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’19.525 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004, qualifying one)
Maximum speed 337kph (209.402 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Start/finish straight and straight to Ascari
Distance from grid to turn one 638m

UK Times
Friday 2nd September 2016
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 3rd September 2016
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Italian Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 4th September 2016
Italian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2009 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Germany Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2001 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos
2015 start various onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wdkI2T2ZE

Bruno Giacomelli in Ferrari 312T2 (1976)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5E7NB-jBM

Facts From Previous Race

Nico Rosberg’s 20th career victory means he has now won as many races as Finnish world champions Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.

Rosberg also took his 28th pole position and led from start to finish for the seventh time in his career. He has now led more laps then anyone this year, 324, which is 16 more than his team mate Lewis Hamilton has.

However Hamilton claimed the fastest lap, the 31st of his career, meaning he is now on his own in fourth on the all-time list. His climb from 21st on the grid to third place was not the biggest recovery drive of his career: He started one place lower at the Hungaroring two years ago and also finished third (Hamilton also took third from 20th on the grid at Hockenheim in 2014).

Finishing on the podium having started outside the top 20 is very rare. This is only the 15th time it has happened, and four of those came in the Indianapolis 500 when it was part of the world championship.

Rosberg and Hamilton were separated on the podium by Daniel Ricciardo. His second place finish with Max Verstappen failing to score meant he has now out-scored his young team mate over the nine races they have raced together at Red Bull, by 115 points to 97.

However Ricciardo was out-qualified by the other Red Bull driver for only the second time this year. That means he is now tied with Valtteri Bottas for the best qualifying recording so far, having beaten his team mate 11 times out of 13.

Second on the grid for Verstappen was the best starting position of his career so far. However the race was the first time he’s seen the chequered flag without scoring a point this year.

Nico Hulkenberg equalled the best result of his career so far with fourth place, a position he previously reached at the same track four years earlier and in South Korea three years ago. Hulkenberg is yet to finish on the podium after 107 starts: the longest podium-less career belongs to Adrian Sutil who went 128 races without a top-three finish.

With his team mate Sergio Perez finishing fifth Force India moved ahead of Williams into fourth place in the constructors’ championship. This will be their best-ever finishing position if they are still there come the end of the season.

Finally, Esteban Ocon became the 71st French driver to start a round of the world championship. Appropriately he emulated his hero Michael Schumacher who also made his debut at Spa 25 years earlier, five years before Ocon was born.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
5Getibj.jpg

Championship Standings
VMazZBh.png

WiuPNvi.png

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why on earth McLaren MIGHT be considering replacing Jenson Button with all the changes expected for 2017? I think the pairing of Alonso and Button is superior to Vettel - Raikkonen, Hamilton - Rosberg, as a couple of examples.

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why on earth McLaren MIGHT be considering replacing Jenson Button with all the changes expected for 2017? I think the pairing of Alonso and Button is superior to Vettel - Raikkonen, Hamilton - Rosberg, as a couple of examples.
Apart from Jenson getting a little fed up of the Honda progress (although it does seem to be improving and they are rumoured to be adopting TJI ignition which has seemed to be the turning point of other teams ) Mc laren dont want to loose Stoffel Vandoorne and next year is a new rule year for all teams so it might be a good idea to introduce a new promising driver
What Jenson will do is still anyones guess and as of yet he hasnt gone

Back