weekly Ferg's 52 for 2015

Feels a little bit zen-like to me to Relax is now done!:sneaky:
LOL Cheat :D
Actually I do like it nice and simple (y)

Vertical, rather you than me TBH, it fits the theme well, and extra points for the danger element too (y)

LOL Cheat :D
Actually I do like it nice and simple (y)

Vertical, rather you than me TBH, it fits the theme well, and extra points for the danger element too (y)

Well it would be rude to ignore all the effort someone else put into it! LOL

Hi, "relax" I feel the stones get a little lost in the BG but overall it works
vertical not really getting it needs something else to make it more obvious

Hi Ferg,

relax - great fit for the theme and well spotted on the beach

vertical - it does sound like the sort of place you don't want to be around very long and it's a good sht, but it doesn't say vertical to me - sorry

I do actually get the sense of perspective from the Vertical shot. My eyes keep drifting to that wisp of cloud in the top right corner though...

Hi Ferg

... couple of different interpretations there.

Relax ... I agree with @alsjazzera the the stones get a little lost in the BG, but it is the kind of shot that deserves more than a quick look.

Vertical ... hard to say how vertical it is. I know we've got a blue sky BG but it could be horizontal. o_O

Hi, "relax" I feel the stones get a little lost in the BG but overall it works
vertical not really getting it needs something else to make it more obvious

Cracking image for "Relax" Ferg

Phil

Hi Ferg,

relax - great fit for the theme and well spotted on the beach

vertical - it does sound like the sort of place you don't want to be around very long and it's a good sht, but it doesn't say vertical to me - sorry

I do actually get the sense of perspective from the Vertical shot. My eyes keep drifting to that wisp of cloud in the top right corner though...

Hi Ferg

... couple of different interpretations there.

Relax ... I agree with @alsjazzera the the stones get a little lost in the BG, but it is the kind of shot that deserves more than a quick look.

Vertical ... hard to say how vertical it is. I know we've got a blue sky BG but it could be horizontal. o_O

Thanks for all the feedback!..... I agree Vertical could be viewed as a bit erm....horizontal!:whistle: So....heres and edit with some clouds to give the viewer a stronger sense of perspective (hopefully):ty:

have to agree with the rest about the BG in relax. You were very brave to stand under those cliffs but sorry to say it still looks like a steep hill to be rather than towering cliffs - however a steep hill is still vertical and it's a lovely shot :clap: for some reason I can see blue spots all around the top of the cliff though (in the edited one)

... getting vertigo looking up at that 'new' sky. ;)

Hi Ferg, I like the vertical edit, it does look a lot steeper than the first image did

Hi Ferg

Relax.
Nice capture and fits the theme. As pointed out by Allan, have to agree the do look a tad lost within the BG

Vertical.
Your edit looks much better, you can now feel the height of the cliff
Relax - spot on composition and I see what you mean by the zen like feel.

Vertical - yip works for the theme, not so sure I'd like to be so close. It seems a bit unstable with all the cracks.
have to agree with the rest about the BG in relax. You were very brave to stand under those cliffs but sorry to say it still looks like a steep hill to be rather than towering cliffs - however a steep hill is still vertical and it's a lovely shot :clap: for some reason I can see blue spots all around the top of the cliff though (in the edited one)
Thanks guys!.....the blue spots are from the sky reflecting off areas of grey slate in the cliffs, they were in the original but I desaturated to reduce them in the first post but forgot in the edit [emoji15][emoji23]

... getting vertigo looking up at that 'new' sky. ;)
Hi Ferg, I like the vertical edit, it does look a lot steeper than the first image did
Hehe thanks, appreciate you looking again at it!

Vertical edit: Like the take on the theme, Ferg, gives me a bit of vertigo looking up that face. Straight up the face.

Karl

I do like rock stacks, and the tones in that shot say 'relax' to me too. Maybe a little less DOF, and or lower and closer, just to separate the subject from the background a little. It looks light the light was a little tough.

Congrats on vertical... you've found the only legitimate use for a UV filter! :D

The original is maybe a little vague in terms of orientation, but the cloudy edit is bang on.

I like your relaxed shot, but agree that the stones are a little swamped by the BG.

Vertical....Birling Gap certainly offers plenty of verticals!!! It's the onlt place where I've stood at the base of the cliffs looking straight up and experiences vertigo!
I like the edit too.

Vertical . Dont think you needed the edit #1 worked perfectly for me

Hi Ferg ....smashing shot for relax, how nice that someone placed those stones just for you :) at first glance I did think the background was too 'busy' but I'm tending to agree with d00d it is a very eye catching image.

I think the edit is better for Vertical ....it certainly ads more of the vertical perspective, it's not a good idea to stand for too long under crumbling cliffs !

Congrats on vertical... you've found the only legitimate use for a UV filter! :D
Haha this is true! [emoji23][emoji23]

I think the edit is better for Vertical ....it certainly ads more of the vertical perspective, it's not a good idea to stand for too long under crumbling cliffs !
Oh it was definitely a case of click and run Susie![emoji23]

very nice, sharp and well exposed. Not quite sure on the positioning with the oof body. Overall I like it.
Hey Michael.... Yeah I wasn't too sure either but I left it in as there isn't any other BG interest to speak of so it looked a bit bare with just a head

Excellent shot for mouth Ferguson, the only thing I'd say is that I'd maybe like to see a bit more of the water droplets, as it is, it looks a little too cropped. Nice and sharp and well exposed though (y)

Nicely done! Really sharp detail, and the curled tongue is a great capture. As above, maybe a portrait shot showing more of the water dropping, but it works well as it is.

Hadn't noticed the dog's bum until it was mentioned but nevertheless the eye is still drawn to the dog's mouth and the water droplets so all-in-all a very good shot.

No crit just wanted to add my voice to say its a cracking shot bang on theme (y)

Fantastic MOUTH shot Ferg (y) ... possibly a little bit tight in the frame hmmm possibly not.

Well, apart from being on theme....it made me chuckle, so thanks for that! :)

Winding back to Relax Ferg!
Well guess its all been said really, separation between the cairn and the beach. I think its a case of much lower perspective and sitting it up against the sea or skyline. Still works! Shooting Relax when your rushed off your feet that's a giggle:rolleyes:.

Vertical looks a bit loose for a climb;). Don't like the look of those 2 big lumps overhanging at the top! The pieces of rock on the LH side look a bit OOF I guess they are a bit closer than the rest and the DOF is kicking in....
Its strange the blue spots at the top of the cliff.... I spose it must be reflection off the stone like you said bit bizarre eh! Like the shot, Great perspective. I like the edit better because there's some really nice cloud in the otherwise negative space. Nice work mate!

Mouth! ha ... I love this, very well shot!!! Really brilliantly sharp, love that tongue and the reflections in the water droplets, Lovely tones, great definition, even nice and sharp whiskers. Nice Shot mate! Love it(y)

Quick question? How do you like the D810? Would be interested in any comments!

All the Best
Steve

Hi, excellent shot for mouth have to agree with everyone else, you have done well capturing the water and his/her tongue

Really struggling with commenting this week ... But just to say this is a great shot. Love the water drops.

Hi Ferg,

brilliant shot for mouth - great focus and I love the way he's concentrating on catching those water drops :clap:

Very nice Ferg. plenty of detail in there too (y)

Thanks for taking the time and all the great comments people![emoji15][emoji4]

Quick question? How do you like the D810? Would be interested in any comments!

All the Best
Steve

Well I've only really got the D5300 to compare it to..... But it's amazing! It is a heavy old lump to be fair but that balances it nicely with heavier lenses. The controls took me a while to get my head round (completely different to the D5300) and lots of strange little menu buttons everywhere for even more options - but it all makes sense now I'm used to it, it's so easy to change settings without taking your eye off your subject. The thing that amazes me most is the amount of hidden detail you can recover in PP if you under/over expose by mistake - it just didn't seem to be there on the D5300[emoji15]..... Nikon, you can send me my commission now please! [emoji23][emoji23]

Some interesting stuff on here. I think FRAGILE is a very good take on the theme, and the colours in WATERY make that shot stand out for me.

Back