weekly Ferg's 52 for 2015

Scenic - it fits the theme, but I feel the image lacks a focal point. I find my eye wandering all over the tree line looking for something to interest me.
Thanks for looking..... I did say it was uninspiring [emoji23][emoji23]. I wanted the dog to walk ahead of me down the path but he was in one of his clingy moods that day [emoji6]

Hi Ferg, it's a good fit with the theme and I like the way the tress frame the pathway. :)
Thankyou[emoji4]. It was one of the few parts of the walk where they did lean towards each other - lucky! [emoji23]

As for the pic I would have been tempted to crop it to portrait style its a nice path, very good exposure wise, but the Left and right hand sides are really not needed
Hi there..... I think you might be right there, I'll try that this weekend if I get a minute [emoji4]

Nice image. Sat here wandering where the path leads..... Must go lots more commenting to do.
Ahhh well........I could tell you but I might need it for a different theme later [emoji12]

Hi Ferg,
I like shots where the path leads off into the distance. See the brush cutter has been down that path then!
Fiddled around on this and if you zoom in (crop down) putting the footpath sign on the right hand 3rd line so the paths slightly off centre to the left I t gives a nice frame and the arch formed by the branches is much more prominent.
Good work well done mate

Hi Ferg,
I like shots where the path leads off into the distance. See the brush cutter has been down that path then!
Fiddled around on this and if you zoom in (crop down) putting the footpath sign on the right hand 3rd line so the paths slightly off centre to the left I t gives a nice frame and the arch formed by the branches is much more prominent.
Good work well done mate

Hey Steve! Thanks for stopping by - I'll definitely give that crop a try....you never know, I might end up liking this picture after all! :clap::ty:

WEEK 4: Companions

So many ideas for this theme, from chips and ketchup to couples in love. Time is the one thing I don't have much of this week though, so off to (a rather muddy) nature reserve we all trotted today. A pair of swans kindly obliged with a shot which I was going to use until we came home and, after some lunch these two were snoozing away on the sofa - too good an opportunity to miss, so here they are doing what they do best!

Companions by fergusinglis, on Flickr

And just for completeness......the swans

companions2 by fergusinglis, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely the snoozing pair for me too, Ferg.
I love the way the DdB tongue is sticking out :D

The swans, I'd have left the negative space in front of them,
so they had somewhere to swim into.
Having said that, nice reflections (y)

Last edited:
More dogs, I love it. Lovely picture, well-executed.

Hi Ferg :)

Scenic - I'm with allan on this one, a nice tree lined path but feel the sides lack interest due to it being straight, but a portrait crop would suite, still a nicely exposed shot, plenty of detail too :)

Companions - GOT to be the dogg and, fantastic use of DoF, lovely sharp image, what a great moment to capture :clap:

Nice one Ferg (Snoozing)

Phil
Thanks Phil [emoji4]

Definitely the snoozing pair for me too, Ferg.
I love the way the DdB tongue is sticking out :D

The swans, I'd have left the negative space in front of them,
so they had somewhere to swim into.
Having said that, nice reflections (y)
Haha, he's always got his tongue out when he sleeps, sometimes his bottom teeth stick out too [emoji23]

I would've preferred the neg space in front of the swans too, but there was a big ol' bush in front of it - a branch was almost touching the swans beak in the original and I had to heal the life out of it just to get the small amount of space in front that there is [emoji15][emoji23]

Hi, snoozing for me too, a great catch :clap:
More dogs, I love it. Lovely picture, well-executed.
I like the first, snoozing, shot. Well caught and spot on theme.
#1 for me. Well composed, right amount of DOF and the tiny bit of tongue adds a nice touch.

Cheers.

Good 'un Ferg Snoozing wins it
Thanks everyone[emoji4]

Hi Ferg :)

Scenic - I'm with allan on this one, a nice tree lined path but feel the sides lack interest due to it being straight, but a portrait crop would suite, still a nicely exposed shot, plenty of detail too :)

Companions - GOT to be the dogg and, fantastic use of DoF, lovely sharp image, what a great moment to capture :clap:
Cheers Dean[emoji4]......I kind of bought a d810 as stress relief/ retail therapy so I'm going to have to give the focus credit to the camera on this one - I really need to cut up my credit cards [emoji23][emoji23]

Snoozing is a super picture I love it.

Yep snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooozing a clear winner from these 2 lovely light on the pooch.

Gaz

Hi Ferg

doggy shot all the way.....perfectly caught moment & one that deserves framing IMHO....no crit just love it :clap:

WEEK 5: Elegant

Hmmmm, well there is a surprising lack of little black dresses in my wardrobe so the first though that sprung to mind was scuppered from the start :LOL:

When I was growing up, I had a friend who's Aunt & Uncle seemed to have a glossy magazine lifestyle. His aunt in particular was always immaculately dressed, very chic and sophisticated. Above all, I remember her lovely little Mercedes convertible and in my head I associated (as I'm sure many young impressionable teens do) a Mercedes with sophistication, success........elegance. That's all a rather tenuous link to this weeks picture - the Merc. I should point out at this stage, that now I'm older, I have come to realise that getting a Mercedes on HP does not guarantee sophistication, success or indeed elegance!:ROFLMAO:

I wanted to try something different lighting-wise, and was aiming for a sort-of magazine-style "glimpse" effect so I used the headlights bounced off the white wall of the house to provide the light and adjusted the shutter speed until I got the reflections I wanted, then brought back some shadow detail in LR. The one big thing I've learned from this shot is to make sure your chrome work is SPOTLESS!!:(

Elegant by fergusinglis, on Flickr

and heres one of the setup......

View attachment 30094

Last edited:
Hi Ferg .... neat idea using the headlights reflected, thanks for sharing. But the car needs a clean! :exit:

The round Merc logo thing with the black criss-cross BG looks good .... but each side of that is not magazine-style.

Sometimes these things can be cleaned up nice in pp with a little tweak of something.

Hi Ferg .... neat idea using the headlights reflected, thanks for sharing. But the car needs a clean! :exit:

The round Merc logo thing with the black criss-cross BG looks good .... but each side of that is not magazine-style.

Sometimes these things can be cleaned up nice in pp with a little tweak of something.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to comment[emoji4]. I know what you mean about the sides - I wasn't overly struck on them either but my PP skills are pretty dire (need a week off soon I think to watch some tutorials etc). As for the dirt.... Erm....I have no defence, I'll blame the staff [emoji23][emoji23]

Interesting set up Ferg (y)

There is definitely something elegant about the 3 pointed star,
but like Andy I also feel its a tad tight at the bottom.

Another car badge that firmly screams elegant.
Fab use of the lights reflected :)

The snoozing shot is lovely, dof is spot on, nicely composed, and the dog's expression is priceless. The low key lighting in elegant works really well, just the touches of light on the edges of the chrome standing out.

Really strong image Ferg and one of my "shots of the week".

I wanted to try something different lighting-wise, and was aiming for a sort-of magazine-style "glimpse" effect so I used the headlights bounced off the white wall of the house to provide the light and adjusted the shutter speed until I got the reflections I wanted, then brought back some shadow detail in LR.

You've achieved it I think. Either way, I like the "look" you've gone for because it's worked. I wonder if it might be worth pushing the highlights a bit more. The shadows are great in the shadows (if you know what I mean) but those leading line highlights need bringing out a little more for some added impact. Just my tuppence though :)

Low key, not done much of this, but it adds a real sense of drama.

Only crit I have is it's a little tight at the bottom.

Cheers.
Interesting set up Ferg (y)

There is definitely something elegant about the 3 pointed star,
but like Andy I also feel its a tad tight at the bottom.
Thanks for commenting guys.... It is very tight at the bottom, more than I wanted really - the chrome under the badge isn't straight like the others either side and it didn't look as sleek including it in the crop

Another car badge that firmly screams elegant.
Fab use of the lights reflected :)
Hi Ferg ....it's about time I hopped in here :)

It looks as if you're enjoying the challenge, that's good.....that's an excellent choice for Elegant ....I like the close crop, very effective ....it looks better again on Flickr, it's surprising the difference the link makes.

The snoozing shot is lovely, dof is spot on, nicely composed, and the dog's expression is priceless. The low key lighting in elegant works really well, just the touches of light on the edges of the chrome standing out.
Thankyou [emoji5]️

Really strong image Ferg and one of my "shots of the week".

You've achieved it I think. Either way, I like the "look" you've gone for because it's worked. I wonder if it might be worth pushing the highlights a bit more. The shadows are great in the shadows (if you know what I mean) but those leading line highlights need bringing out a little more for some added impact. Just my tuppence though :)
Wow thanks for the compliment![emoji4] you might be right with the highlights, I tweaked them to just below blowout level, but it's maybe not an issue on this shot if some of it is blown.

Elegant

Hi Ferg
Great idea for the theme.. Nicely executed with the lighting.
But have to mark you down for the lack of elbow grease..
Thanks! Definitely let down by the cleaning effort - must try harder! Lol

Definitely an elegant make of car. would like to have seen more in the frame at the bottom. good to see the shot behind the shot.

Hi Ferg,

Elegant - It's a very good fit for the theme and it's interesting to hear how you set it up. As others have said, it is a bit tight at the bottom. I'm not going to comment on the ned for a clean as my car's well overdue some soap & water :oops: :$

Week 6: Watery

I had a few ideas for this week - some more abstract than others. But we went out walking today down by Shoreham beach and it felt surprisingly summer-like today! The basin water was nice and calm and the resulting reflections were nice and strong....so here it is! As always, I really appreciate you all taking time to comment and help me improve - Thanks!:)

Shoreham by fergusinglis, on Flickr

Back