Film and Conventional Section Locals (Cheshire area) Christmas Meet up?

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
Do any of the local (Cheshire, West Staffs, North Shrops, North Wales, etc. or from further afield if you don't mind travelling) Film & Conventional section people fancy a pre-Christmas meet up?

I was thinking along the lines of perhaps of meeting one Saturday in early December for a quick bit of breakfast (optional bacon butty and a mug of tea/coffee in a café/shop) followed by taking some Christmassy type street photos, followed by a pub lunch somewhere? As usual, a casual and informal type meet-up where people could come and go as they liked, similar to the Smallwood and Chelford steam rally meet-ups we've had.

I've had a look on the interweb and there's an 'Artisan's Market' (whatever that is) in Nantwich town square on Saturday the 8th of December if anyone fancies that as a possible time and venue, but if anyone has a better venue idea then feel free to suggest something. (y)

Last edited:
Well, it's conveniently compact, at least some of us know our way round it and there are quite a few pubs within walking distance of the square for us to have a look at the menu (and prices) before deciding on where to lunch. Paper hats will be optional! :D

Any others up for this @Mrs Snap @Andysnap @srichards @dmb @Fraser Euan White @stevelmx5 for instance?

I'd be up for that, though my hat may be wooly if the morning as sharp as this one.

I'd be up for that, though my hat may be wooly if the morning as sharp as this one.
Well, we got sunburn at Chelford so we may as well get frostbite in Nantwich to round things off nicely for the year! :D

Isn't an Artisans Market local produce?

An artisan (from French: artisan, Italian: artigiano) is a skilled craft worker who makes or creates things by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative, for example furniture, decorative arts, sculptures, clothing, jewellery, food items, household items and tools or even mechanisms such as the handmade clockwork movement of a watchmaker. Artisans practice a craft and may through experience and aptitude reach the expressive levels of an artist.

Sourced @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan

So in response to your question, it's kinda "Yes"

We have Artisan markets / fairs here in the village quite regularly particularly through the warmer months.

Last edited:
Depends on where/when, but meet up for breakfast, then go 'till lunch sounds nice. Chester is pretty and has lots of Street Photography opportunities as well as architecture (and two camera shops selling 2nd hand stuff!). The cathedral is still free to wander around. It will be rammed on a Saturday close to Christmas which is a pro or a con depending on how you see things.

Either ways, I'd be up for it. Gets me out of the house... :)

Chester is pretty and has lots of Street Photography opportunities as well as architecture (and two camera shops selling 2nd hand stuff!). The cathedral is still free to wander around. It will be rammed on a Saturday close to Christmas which is a pro or a con depending on how you see things. :)

I though Chester would be rammed at that time of year, hence me suggesting Nantwich. It's not as big or quite as picturesque as Chester, but parking shouldn't be too difficult (or expensive) if we're meeting about 9am for a bit of breakfast at a café, and it's fairly self contained, with the market in the town square in the middle and interesting little side streets and ginnels going off the various roads around the square. The church is interesting too, almost like a small cathedral and with an octagonal church tower, which apparently is quite unusual.

The trouble is that if a place is really busy and packed with people all over, there's no room to take street shots or 'clean' architectural shots. If the format of the Xmas bash works OK we could repeat this in Chester one Saturday in January or February (when there's not much else going on) when it's a bit quieter there (and we've got our Christmas pressie money to spend in the camera shops!)? What does everyone think?

Sounds good to me Mr B.

I'm down for this! :)
Smashing. Just checking that you know that it's a film camera group event? If you know that then great, if not it's not a problem if you want to bring a digital camera but you might get a bit bored by the rest of us comparing old cameras and talking about film! If you don't already have a film camera (why not?!! ;)) then you've always got time before the meet to buy one and a couple of rolls of film (let us know if you're interested and we can suggest some options for both)? (y)

Smashing. Just checking that you know that it's a film camera group event? If you know that then great, if not it's not a problem if you want to bring a digital camera but you might get a bit bored by the rest of us comparing old cameras and talking about film! If you don't already have a film camera (why not?!! ;)) then you've always got time before the meet to buy one and a couple of rolls of film (let us know if you're interested and we can suggest some options for both)? (y)

What a muppet I am! I am sure I can dig out a film camera from under the bed in this case - Rollei 35 springs to mind!

What a muppet I am! I am sure I can dig out a film camera from under the bed in this case - Rollei 35 springs to mind!
Sounds perfect, I'm pretty sure @Fraser Euan White has a Rollei 35 in his collection too, so you'll be in good company. Nothing to stop you bringing a digital camera too if you like, but thought I'd better mention the film thing. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing you on the day... stay tuned for confirmation of the date, time and meeting place. (y)

Just a thought (up to you) but you might want to add the location to the title so that people living nearby might click through. Digi shooters who are interested in trying might want to come along. I know I've got a spare (35mm) camera, so all they'd need to do is fetch a roll of film and they'd be good to go.

Just a thought (up to you) but you might want to add the location to the title so that people living nearby might click through. Digi shooters who are interested in trying might want to come along. I know I've got a spare (35mm) camera, so all they'd need to do is fetch a roll of film and they'd be good to go.
Good idea, unfortunately I can't figure out how to amend the title, so I've changed the locations to bold text in the opening post, and made the film and conventional part a bit clearer. (y)

I can't figure out how to amend the title,

Just above the first post to the RHS is a drop down menu uner "Thread tools" …..you can amend the title from there;)

Ya see, even blithering idiots have uses ( occasionally)! :D

Last edited:
"Thread tools" …..you can amend the title from there

Asha got there first. That is where you can add a poll too so if you decide to poll for dates rather than set one that's how.

Asha got there first. That is where you can add a poll too so if you decide to poll for dates rather than set one that's how.

Thanks both. :) I don't think it will need a poll? It's just a few mates informally meeting up in town on a Saturday morning. Perhaps it's a good time to make that clear... it's not an organised/official event in any way shape or form (unless someone wishes to step forward and formally take ownership?).

As per the last couple of times a few of us have agreed to met up somewhere, it would be just a few friends/acquaintances turning up of their own accord (and entirely at their own risk) and meeting informally for a chat, going off to take a few photos if they want to, and going for a pub lunch afterwards if they wish. If anyone falls over, gets arrested, bitten by a dog, run over, robbed, booked for parking, poisoned by food or drink, doesn't like the venue, etc, etc... then it's entirely their own affair as they will be in charge of their own actions and choices, just as it would be if they were to meet a couple of friends for a walk in the park or a pint in the pub. I think anyone interested in meeting up needs to fully understand this and only turn up if they agree to it. (y)

Thanks both. :) I don't think it will need a poll? It's just a few mates informally meeting up in town on a Saturday morning. Perhaps it's a good time to make that clear... it's not an organised/official event in any way shape or form (unless someone wishes to step forward and formally take ownership?).

As per the last couple of times a few of us have agreed to met up somewhere, it would be just a few friends/acquaintances turning up of their own accord (and entirely at their own risk) and meeting informally for a chat, going off to take a few photos if they want to, and going for a pub lunch afterwards if they wish. If anyone falls over, gets arrested, bitten by a dog, run over, robbed, booked for parking, poisoned by food or drink, doesn't like the venue, etc, etc... then it's entirely their own affair as they will be in charge of their own actions and choices, just as it would be if they were to meet a couple of friends for a walk in the park or a pint in the pub. I think anyone interested in meeting up needs to fully understand this and only turn up if they agree to it. (y)

Not sure there's ever been anything "official" about the one-day meets, they're pretty much as you describe. Someone starts a thread, others join in and... it more or less happens! We even had a meet where the origianl thread organiser couldn't participate (that was the Suffolk meet, I'm too old to remember the name of the town). We turned up at his pub, and he couldn't take the time off, so we wandered away. And also got a rather terrifying ride to Orford, packed in a small car with giant speakers behind, screaming along these narrow roads... no , it was a lot of fun, honest!

Well, that’s crept up on us more quickly than expected; The 8th of December is a week on Saturday! So shall we go with Nantwich town centre as a venue? If so, who’s planning on attending? Can @Andysnap & @Mrs Snap make it too? And can @srichards be tempted out of winter hibernation if it's a mild and sunny day?

I’ve had a look at cafés as a potential meeting venue, but the reviews and prices of these seem to vary and I’ve no recent experience of breakfast in Nantwich. So how about meeting outside WH Smith in Nantwich Town Square at 9.30am (it’s on the corner of the main town square near the cenotaph) on Saturday the 8th December and take it from there?

If people want a bit of breakfast there are a few options, including a bacon butty from the bakers. So perhaps we can make a group decision after we’ve met up and take it from there? Unless one of the other locals has a better idea for a town centre meeting place?

After that, an informal wander round the town to take some photos (and/or do some shopping!), then go for a pub lunch about noon (for those that want to)? As usual with these informal/unofficial ‘F&C mates meet-ups', if the weather forecast is bad we can discuss things on this thread the day before and cancel, re-schedule or re-time to suit, and finalise the meeting place and time, etc. :) So do check the meet-up is still on (and where suggested) before setting out on the day! (y)

What do people think?

Last edited:
Back