Film Developing in the UK

I got my scans back just after 5pm yesterday, they did email me back and say some unexpected maintenance had caused their turnaround times to extend. After waiting a week, three of the four rolls I sent are basically unuseable because my camera obviously had a stuck shutter so I have lots of blank exposures and black bars on my images :(

I got my scans back just after 5pm yesterday, they did email me back and say some unexpected maintenance had caused their turnaround times to extend. After waiting a week, three of the four rolls I sent are basically unuseable because my camera obviously had a stuck shutter so I have lots of blank exposures and black bars on my images :(

:eek: did you check the camera before putting a film in?

:eek: did you check the camera before putting a film in?

Yep, shot two test rolls through it before I went on holiday, no problem at all. As soon as I was away it started playing up. Checked it with no film in and thought the shutter was sticking after the film had already been exposed. It fired ok but the blades then didn't move back to the correct position after the film had wound on without me half pressing the shutter button again. Thought it was exposing correctly but obviously not. I had my older Olympus film camera with me too so I shot a roll on that as well so I do have some images from the trip at least.

Last edited:
Damn, sorry to hear that Richard. :( The joys of old cameras.:rolleyes: Probably the best bet would be to have a look round and see if you can find a nice Canon EOS 30 in full working order and get that as one of your Christmas presents. (y)

If you can make this: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ocals-cheshire-area-christmas-meet-up.687391/ I should have my EOS 30 with me so you can see what you think of them.

When I got home I had a proper look and I can see a sticky residue on the shutter blades. I'll have a go at cleaning it with some alcohol and see if that cures it. Very frustrating as the two rolls I shot through it before the holiday it worked perfectly. I've still got some nice images from the trip though which I'll post a few of later on. I did take loads with my phone camera and my wifes new Fujifilm X-T100 as well so we have plenty of digital images from the holiday.

Yep, shot two test rolls through it before I went on holiday, no problem at all. As soon as I was away it started playing up

:rolleyes: well you did everything right.....cameras I can't trust I dismantle for spare screws etc as for me it's not worth the cost of servicing them.

Probably the best bet would be to have a look round and see if you can find a nice Canon EOS 30 in full working order and get that as one of your Christmas presents

or he could have got a T70 as a freebie :D

or he could have got a T70 as a freebie :D
I don't know if he's got any Canon FD lenses, so it might turn out to be an expensive freebie if he needs to buy some to use it! Besides, I think Richard already has an OM10 if he wants a manual focus camera. I seem to remember it's an EOS 5 (?) Richard has got and I think they can be prone to 'sticky shutter' syndrome. As you say, probably not currently worth the cost of repair if it's become unreliable, unless the DIY cleaning works. Even then, I think I'd be wary of it and want a reliable replacement (while 35mm SLRs are still reasonably affordable and plentiful).

I don't know if he's got any Canon FD lenses, so it might turn out to be an expensive freebie if he needs to buy some to use it! Besides, I think Richard already has an OM10 if he wants a manual focus camera. I seem to remember it's an EOS 5 (?) Richard has got and I think they can be prone to 'sticky shutter' syndrome. As you say, probably not currently worth the cost of repair if it's become unreliable, unless the DIY cleaning works. Even then, I think I'd be wary of it and want a reliable replacement (while 35mm SLRs are still reasonably affordable and plentiful).

It's an EOS 50 I have. It only cost £20 off eBay so it doesn't owe me much. To be honest for the size of it, if I'm going to take the EOS 50 I may as well just take my Canon DSLR, they're about the same size. You're right I do have an OM10 which I very much enjoy shooting with. I may fix the Canon and stick it back on eBay, and get an extra lens or two for the OM10 with the proceeds.

may fix the Canon and stick it back on eBay

Well only if you can fix it yourself but if you want an EOS 300 I can put it on classifieds..suggest a price I should put plus recorded delivery and it's yours.

Well only if you can fix it yourself but if you want an EOS 300 I can put it on classifieds..suggest a price I should put plus recorded delivery and it's yours.

That's very kind, if I can't fix the EOS 50 I'll certainly let you know.

That's very kind, if I can't fix the EOS 50 I'll certainly let you know.

If ever you want to buy a film camera in the future its worth checking the guys here (or classifieds) as sometimes you'll get the camera for free or it would be cheaper than the bay and with the added attraction (that nearly all sellers adhere to)...... if something is not working properly then you get your money back (y)

Another question someone on here may be able to answer, do FilmDev offer push processing? I can't find any mention of it on their website at all.

Another question someone on here may be able to answer, do FilmDev offer push processing? I can't find any mention of it on their website at all.

Yes I believe so, request in the notes and no extra charge AFAIK for up to 2 stops. Mind you, when I rang them to discuss it one time, they suggested I go for standard processing as most films will take that, and it was fine.

Yes I believe so, request in the notes and no extra charge AFAIK for up to 2 stops. Mind you, when I rang them to discuss it one time, they suggested I go for standard processing as most films will take that, and it was fine.

Brilliant thank you

I posted mine friday arrived saturday no link as of yet, will let everyone know when i get the link and whether there were any issues.

Hi i emailed filmdev this afternoon asked about my film and got a link by return email to pay at approx 1430. This was paid straight away no link for pictures as of yet this evening.

Link now received as of 19:12pm

Last edited:
Hi i emailed filmdev this afternoon asked about my film and got a link by return email to pay at approx 1430. This was paid straight away no link for pictures as of yet this evening.

Link now received as of 19:12pm

The delay may be the result of having to upload the scans to WeTransfer... though I quite often get my download link before the payment link!

I see from their Twitter feed (https://BANNED/film_dev?lang=en) that Filmdev now offer 16 bit TIFFs from the Noritsu scanners and say that 'feedback has been impressive'. I am wondering if anyone here has requested this and, if so, I wonder how they compare to the JPGs?

Lee

After the F&C meet yesterday, I have a roll of Velvia 50 to send off. What's the general recommendation for E6 processing - AG Photolab or Palm? (Filmdev look like they don't do E6 from their website)?
Any others come highly recommended?

I used Ag after the Onich trip and was happy with them as I wanted to scan them myself. I guess it will depend on whether you want them mounted, scanned or whatever?

Although I develop most of my film at home, on the occasions when I have used a lab I have been very happy with The Darkroom UK - https://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/.

I have usually received my film back 2 days after sending it (ie one day in the lab and one day in the post each way) and they also provide a downloadable freepost label for sending your film off.

I've only used their develop only service, and scanned the film myself.

I've mostly sent my E6 to Peak, process only, and can't fault their service (my photos, that's a whole other thing!).

I used to use The Darkroom UK until
they put their prices up and then started trying other options, FilmDev get a lot of my films but their lack of E6 and my liking for minimal postage costs mean that when I have a mixed batch they don’t get the work. Peak are excellent and cover all processing requirements but they are on the pricey side.
My latest lot of films have gone off to AG, my first experience of them about 4 years ago wasn’t great but after much positive feedback from many folk on here I tried them again and was impressed. If they could only start doing the We Transfer thing then they’d get even more if my custom.

I guess many of you will have seen that Tetenal are expecting to close their doors on 1 April, after the current batches are complete... (https://emulsive.org/articles/news/tetenal-europe-gmbh-to-reportedly-cease-trading-after-172-years) Apparently they supply Kodak Express and all Kodak chemicals in Europe, Middle East and Africa. (Note if you follow a link to Photrio in the comments of the Emulsive article, you find a comment by Adox suggesting that the current stage is the breakup of the company, and that perhaps there is a possibility of the relatively small chemicals business getting a separate buyer... apparently the whole Tetenal group is a bit of a beast, twice the size of Harman...)

I don't do colour processing, but are there alternatives?

Does anyone know where I could get E4 processing done? 35mm only needed :)

PS As a transparency, not in C41 or Rodinal...

PPS For the curious, it's Infra Red Ektachrome - hence the colour matters. Even if there has been dye degradation. The films are currently unexposed. As are the Kodachrome films...

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I could get E4 processing done? 35mm only needed :)

PS As a transparency, not in C41 or Rodinal...

PPS For the curious, it's Infra Red Ektachrome - hence the colour matters. Even if there has been dye degradation. The films are currently unexposed. As are the Kodachrome films...

Peak will do that for you,it's just E6 with the infrared off. I worked there for nearly 20 years but i left it in good hands.

I was told E6 processing was too hot for E4, but I dunno
It was suggested that cross processing it in C-22 was doable but even that is a bit hit and hope.

Just a note on the Tetenal collapse, Tetenal make all ilford, fotospeed and kodak chemistry, we're not just talking about a few e6/c41 home dev kits, its the whole lot including b/w chems.
Adox seem to be chucking their hat in the ring and might pick up some slack for the colour stuff, been no mention of b/w but maybe that is less of an issue.
Either way, I expect there will be consequences...:/

E4 was a lower temperature than E6 - at least my memory says it was more like black and white for temperature. But I haven't processed any slides since the early 70s.

E4 was a lower temperature than E6 - at least my memory says it was more like black and white for temperature. But I haven't processed any slides since the early 70s.
I knew that BJP 1979 annual would come in handy one of these days. It has the full formulae and instructions for E4 processing, and seems to say it is done at 29C. The chemicals look pretty dodgy though .......... :eek:

If the worst comes to the worst, and I don't put the film back in the freezer, I'll dig out various books with formulae and start looking at chemicals and costs. I don't know what 29c is; my limit without calculation is the real temp for 0c, 20c and 100c (32, 68, 212).

If the worst comes to the worst, and I don't put the film back in the freezer, I'll dig out various books with formulae and start looking at chemicals and costs. I don't know what 29c is; my limit without calculation is the real temp for 0c, 20c and 100c (32, 68, 212).
28C is 82F Stephen, so that's an easy one to remember.

29c = 84f

A tweet, this time from Tetenal UK:

1548888789315.png

Now I'm not quite sure how to parse this. At first I though, oh that's OK, they're making chemicals here, but actually I think it's saying that Tetenal UK is OK as a company, but NOT that chemical supply is OK.

A tweet, this time from Tetenal UK:

Now I'm not quite sure how to parse this. At first I though, oh that's OK, they're making chemicals here, but actually I think it's saying that Tetenal UK is OK as a company, but NOT that chemical supply is OK.

A FB post in German suggests that the employees in the photochemical business are trying to organise a buyout as that part looks profitable.

How much money do they need? Perhaps it's time to start a crowdfunder :)
From foto-contact.de (auto translated) January 30, 2019

Tetenal: Employees want to receive proven products

Following the decision to implement Tetenal Europe GmbH, employees of the traditional company want to continue their initiative, which was initiated at the end of 2018, to develop a concept for how, in spite of the liquidation of the company, Tetenal products can be successfully provided on their own or new products can be developed. This is from a press release of the insolvency administrator, White & Case Partner Sven-Holger Undritz, forth.

"If the employees succeed in putting their ideas into action, the insolvency proceedings can still give Tetenal a fresh start," explained Undritz. "I would be happy!"

So far, business operations have continued unrestrictedly, thanks to the dedication of employees and the loyalty of regular customers, added Undritz. In addition, a previously initiated investor search process was continued, which the company set in motion more than a year ago. Since an investor could not be found in the course of the insolvency proceedings, now the orderly settlement, in particular by Ausproduktion, initiated. This gives customers the opportunity to place their last orders. It is expected that the location Norderstedt will finally be closed in April 2019.

The insolvency affects about 100 employees. More than half of them are still active in the production process.

The foreign subsidiaries in England, France and Poland are not directly affected by the bankruptcy, according to the press release.

Emulsive have an update with a bit more detail. including some bank backing for the proposed employee takeover of part of Tetenal. We're still short of certainty, though.

Back