Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

I've just sent mine off to Filmdev too, I'm not sure there's anything shadow-worthy on them but I have got a back up if these are not up to scratch.

Bleurgh. My homebrew scanning/lightbox and camera solution isn't very good. I've entered a shot, but not confident in it. Time to trade up the dedicated 35mm scanner for a flatbed, I think!

Will filmdev get them back in time? It's cutting it a bit fine and Monday is a bank holiday so any extension would need to be until Tuesday....

Last edited:
Will filmdev get them back in time? It's cutting it a bit fine and Monday is a bank holiday so any extension would need to be until Tuesday....

They have done mine on a Saturday before... and with the download we don't have to wait for the post!

I sent my last lot of fillums off last Monday at 5 ish and had a call from Filmdev at 3.30 on Tuesday. Pretty impressive from the Post office and Filmdev.

I hope they do work Saturday it might give mine a chance.

I hope they do work Saturday it might give mine a chance.

If you sent them 1st class I would be surprised if you didnt get the call later today, 2nd class might not get there in time but i have sent a couple of parcels of recently 2nd class and also got the download the following day so you never know. ;)

If you sent them 1st class I would be surprised if you didnt get the call later today, 2nd class might not get there in time but i have sent a couple of parcels of recently 2nd class and also got the download the following day so you never know. ;)
I did send them 1st class so I am hopeful of a call today but hearing that they possibly work Saturdays means I'm not quite so nervous.

I suspect a comment in the, um, comments section of the order form would have pretty much guaranteed same day treatment!

I suspect a comment in the, um, comments section of the order form would have pretty much guaranteed same day treatment!
Yes did that too Chris, of course I could have avoided all this if I hadn't left it to the last minute :bang:

Right, sent off a couple of films to Filmdev, let's hope they get done in time AND there's some shadows on them!

The black and white film will likely contain half a roll of shots of trees, each one with me thinking "must be the last on the roll...". As once before, I had not spotted that the film counter did not fully reset when I put the film in. :(

Filmdev delivered, but sadly there wasn't anything useful... so it's back to plans C to F... just need to choose one.

How many are allowed to vote for? I just tried it and it's allowing only one vote...

I've been looking for my memory stick for a week or so, and was starting to think I'd lost it along with the FPOTY table on it. Spent ages yesterday ripping rooms apart trying to find it, and eventually I found it. On my desk next to my Mac. Exactly where you'd expect it to be. :rolleyes:

Updated table will be posted in the April thread as soon as I've finished sorting it out :)

I've been looking for my memory stick for a week or so, and was starting to think I'd lost it along with the FPOTY table on it. Spent ages yesterday ripping rooms apart trying to find it, and eventually I found it. On my desk next to my Mac. Exactly where you'd expect it to be. :rolleyes:

Updated table will be posted in the April thread as soon as I've finished sorting it out :)

Ever considered google docs? Can't lose em :)

But apparently Google docs can steal your Mac.. or sorta! (The phishing attack, if folk don't catch the reference.)

I use Google Sheets for a lot of things at home, and I did to start with for FPOTY, but it was a massive faff trying to sort the table by points and I gave up lol.

The problem is that I use a Mac and Chromebook at home where I don't have Excel, and a Windows laptop at work where Google docs are blocked. Too many different systems and programs that don't like each other!

Really, I should just store the Excel file on my laptop at work like everyone else would do, but that's too simple and easy for the F&C section :D

I use Google Sheets for a lot of things at home, and I did to start with for FPOTY, but it was a massive faff trying to sort the table by points and I gave up lol.

The problem is that I use a Mac and Chromebook at home where I don't have Excel, and a Windows laptop at work where Google docs are blocked. Too many different systems and programs that don't like each other!

Really, I should just store the Excel file on my laptop at work like everyone else would do, but that's too simple and easy for the F&C section :D

Hah, these young folk! Why aren't you using goose quills and parchment like the rest of us???

Good to see some more entries coming in, I was beginning to panic a little! :)

Only 1 week, 1 day, 10 hours and 36 minutes left to enter! ;)

Hoping to get my shot tonight... Then need to send it off :/

Get a grip man.... You had a whole week of marine related transport to shoot, what about the lovely boat isolated on a big blue sea at Wheal Coates, oh, yes I remember, it sailed away in the wrong direction. :D

Don't mention getting a grip; Woodsy's not the one who forgot to look on the calendar to check the date and missed an entire transport festival weekend just up the road in Sandbach! :banghead:

Last edited:
This is on too: https://www.smallwoodvintagerally.co.uk/ So a busy weekend locally, but as I don't develop my own film (yet!) time was too short to rely on these for this month's entry. :grumpy: Still, the two events should provide some other good photo opportunities, so I'm going to try to get to at least one of them. :)

Send 135 or 120, C41 or B&W to Filmdev and you might be looking at your images the next evening! Mind you, I haven't had the call from yesterday's despatch yet...

Send 135 or 120, C41 or B&W to Filmdev and you might be looking at your images the next evening! Mind you, I haven't had the call from yesterday's despatch yet...
I did weigh that up but thought it was too tight a deadline to risk, with it being a bank holiday weekend.

Back