Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

You went AUTO :wideyed:!!

REAL togs go fully manual:exit: ( even when we can't remember what to do:confused::p:D)

Ah but with my 100 years of experience I agreed what was showing in the viewfinder re shutter and f stop when on "A". o_O :D
Nice camera the Nikon F90x and would recommend it if anyone want a cheap AF camera.

As usual, I've left it until the last minute again! Weather was too bad yesterday to get out and take the photo I planned, so I'm hoping to take tomorrow afternoon off. Should be able to go out and get the photo, develop and then scan it in the 6 hours or so I'll have free... Mind you, the weather looks pretty rubbish tomorrow as well!

As usual, I've left it until the last minute again! Weather was too bad yesterday to get out and take the photo I planned, so I'm hoping to take tomorrow afternoon off. Should be able to go out and get the photo, develop and then scan it in the 6 hours or so I'll have free... Mind you, the weather looks pretty rubbish tomorrow as well!

I'm with you on this. I've still not got anything [emoji85]

I've not had chance to get out this month, so I'm now completely relying on getting something/anything from a few rolls I took in San Fransisco; none of which I recall getting in the slightest bit excited over :/

Well the boss has priviledges and I don't mind an extension to put a shot up ;)

I thought part of FPOTY was to try and instil some discipline in us rabble? :)

Well yes but:- winter, kids on half term and a short month and if you don't work in a city to pop out lunch time for building shots.....all good excuses why it is more difficult this month, and I don't mind a few days given for someone to enter if desparate. (y)

Well the boss has priviledges and I don't mind an extension to put a shot up ;)

No more extensions, sorry Brian. We've had two months to get a photo for this. Don't forget you can take your photos at any point in the year, so maybe start planning March or Aprils photo now if you find the times a bit tight? :)

No more extensions, sorry Brian. We've had two months to get a photo for this. Don't forget you can take your photos at any point in the year, so maybe start planning March or Aprils photo now if you find the times a bit tight? :)

H'mm well no need to be sorry for me Carl as my shot is in and next month is ready :D

Well yes but:- winter, kids on half term and a short month and if you don't work in a city to pop out lunch time for building shots.....all good excuses why it is more difficult this month, and I don't mind a few days given for someone to enter if desparate. (y)

As I said, you don't have to wait for the month to start to take the photo.February's photo can be taken any time between when the comp started and Tuesday night. Even if someone can only go out at weekends, there have been 18 days so far in the year for them to take a photo of architecture. If 18 days isn't enough, would 2 more help?

As I said, you don't have to wait for the month to start to take the photo.February's photo can be taken any time between when the comp started and Tuesday night. Even if someone can only go out at weekends, there have been 18 days so far in the year for them to take a photo of architecture. If 18 days isn't enough, would 2 more help?

..only for stragglers who might miss entering by a day or so because of unfortunate circumstances :(

Thing is, that's life. If one misses a month, see it as motivation for planning and executing some killer photos for the coming months to make up for it :) Remember also, it's possible to win the entire year by being consistently on the podium and never actually winning a round.

Does that work in reverse?..........Can I win a round and / or regularly be on the podium yet still obtain the pride of being in last position :thinking::D

Does that work in reverse?..........Can I win a round and / or regularly be on the podium yet still obtain the pride of being in last position :thinking::D

Well I reckon there should be an extra award..... "brownie points" for trying...sorta like Eddie the eagle :D

Watch me! I'm confident that's exactly what will have happened by the time we get to the end of the year! :D

Well I've got nothing today due to crap weather. Might have to take a random building shot and enter it. Must be more prepared next month!!!

And without any of that namby-pamby coupled viewfinder or rangefinder nonsense! ;)

..and true fimies just want the results and don't mind goodies on a film camera to achieve this, but all the others achieve their results with a digi camera and just use a film camera to twiddle knobs and levers and call it an experience... Oh and maybe get some results on film. o_O :D :exit:

..and true fimies just want the results and don't mind goodies on a film camera to achieve this, but all the others achieve their results with a digi camera and just use a film camera to twiddle knobs and levers and call it an experience... Oh and maybe get some results on film. o_O :D :exit:

That's my film experience!!

For me, the whole process is the key. From taking a pic, developing and scanning it at home.

Arguably could get better pics using my d800 but it's not as satisfying.

Used a trip 35 for the first time at the weekend - have to see how the pics came out when O get round to developing them!!

If you're not getting enough results you're not shooting enough film! :D

That's my film experience!!

For me, the whole process is the key. From taking a pic, developing and scanning it at home.

Arguably could get better pics using my d800 but it's not as satisfying.

Used a trip 35 for the first time at the weekend - have to see how the pics came out when O get round to developing them!!

As long as you get the zone focussing right, the Trip 35 produces lovely sharp results.

It's easily done. :)

Some advice I had was that, on a bright sunny day, set it to the "group" focus setting and everything from a few meters to infinity will be in focus as the camera will pick a narrow aperture.

So now I have to finish the roll with a few shots left on it so I can develop it tonight[emoji85]

A few more selfies coming I feel[emoji33]

Don't forget, entries for February close tonight! The poll won't be up until tomorrow morning, but entries after midnight won't be counted.

We’re only one entry away from matching the 15 that were entered in January! I think there might be some more to come ( @Sir SR @FishyFish @Woodsy ?) so it's been a successful month :)

Don't forget, entries for February close tonight! The poll won't be up until tomorrow morning, but entries after midnight won't be counted.

We’re only one entry away from matching the 15 that were entered in January! I think there might be some more to come ( @Sir SR @FishyFish @Woodsy ?) so it's been a successful month :)

Mine's already in there - posted it last week. :)

Mine's already in there - posted it last week. :)

If the organiser isn't organised, what chance is there for the rest of us :rolleyes::exit::D:D

Negs are drying......doesn't look hopeful as I couldn't get to where I wanted to go. I'll scan/process and enter something tonight. Not happy with what I got but rather enter something than nothing!

@Carl Hall when you put up the next entries thread, can you make the word "film" appear more prominently in the title please, to reduce the chances of the digerati joining in without checking the rules? Thanks

PS I'm still trying to choose... neither of the shots I printed yesterday is looking quite up to par :(

I'm in too. As I said, better something crap than nowt at all.

Still first go with the trip 35 and getting a bit better at home developing and scanning.

Annoyed that the weather was poop as I had an interesting place I wanted to go to get this month's entry! Never mind though!!

Can someone edit the title so it makes it clear that is for photos taken on FILM only. It isn't apparently clear enough :facepalm:

@Carl Hall when you put up the next entries thread, can you make the word "film" appear more prominently in the title please, to reduce the chances of the digerati joining in without checking the rules? Thanks

PS I'm still trying to choose... neither of the shots I printed yesterday is looking quite up to par :(

Done :) I've changed it from "FPOTY" to "FILM Photographer of the Year".

Back