Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

On another topic... I'm really annoyed... with myself, again! :mad: I can't seem to remember everything I need at the crucial moment. Not so bad when there's plenty of time, but when something presents itself I always seem to find a way to mess it up! :( Came round a corner today and found a subject that could be just great for this month. Quick couple of shots, metered and focused, went on my way. Five minutes later I've used up the rest of the roll, then I think, uh oh, those two shots were backlit, you didn't add any compensation, you eejit... Oh well, just have to wait and see if film's flexibility will cope with it.:oops: :$

... it wasn't enough. Nice idea, carp execution!

8 entries so far, with another week to go. Good progress so far! Hopefully the usual last minute rush in the last couple of days will give us a handful more. My entry is sat on a roll in the camera waiting patiently for me to finish it off :D

Hmm. The Mac has decided to come to a crawl.......apparently having over 2tb of photos on it slows it down [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Just rearranging the photos/backup and updating the OS. Hopefully when that is done I'll be able to scan etc!!

8 entries so far, with another week to go. Good progress so far! Hopefully the usual last minute rush in the last couple of days will give us a handful more. My entry is sat on a roll in the camera waiting patiently for me to finish it off :D

Got next three months already, handy this way as if you see something better later on, you can use that.

Got next three months already, handy this way as if you see something better later on, you can use that.

Yep, got a few in the bag for later in the year. We're away this weekend, in Southport, so a good opportunity to get this month's sorted. I've got a couple of shots already but there's no harm in looking to better them and I really need to get some points this month.

Blimey, you lot are well organised! Waddya gonna do in the next months with no FPOTY to shoot? :D

I've got a couple of candidates for this month, and I'm currently scanning another roll that I hoped would also have some good options. So far most seem to be rather scratched, which is annoying. The TMax 100 turned out very curly, and even after it's been 36 hours under a heavy book I've still had trouble getting it into the film holder. :(

I do find choosing what to submit one of the hardest bits!

Blimey, you lot are well organised!

Ah but there is a difference between winning shots and backups :D The way I look at is:- if my shots look crappy with the shots being entered then I'll have to try again...h'mm but if no one puts their shots up until the last few days then that wouldn't work :eek:

I took some time this afternoon to get a shot to enter this month and sent the film off to Filmdev by first class post for one of their quick (hopefully!) develop and scans, so all being well I should have a photo to enter by early next week. (y)

DOH!

film is on the spiral (after a fight), water is warm dev is ready to mixed but I can't find my bloody thermometer I've not seen it since we moved and amazon don't have any on Prime. I've (probably) got a shot I could enter I just can't get at it :(

#filmieproblems...

If you order from AG photographic tomorrow AM, it will arrive the following day

I dropped mine Sunday afternoon, ordered a new one which arrived this morning

If it's b&w just guesstimate.

I'm rubbish at guestimation, every time I try to freestyle I measure before starting and its near thermonuclear. Maybe should have just left in the living room for an hour.
I just fill 3 large buckets with water and let it sit till it's all the same temperature then no thermo shock and all is (usually) good.

Last edited:
I use mine for liquids. Just point it at it. The closer you are the less area it averages over. I take a couple of readings.

I bought one of those a year or so ago, it's about 8 degrees out, so I won't be using that for developing films.

Mine is reasonably accurate. I point it at a normal room thermometer to check it :)

Thing is, if making even remotely precise measurements, these IR thermometers need to be calibrated to the emissivity of the meterial being sampled. Most basically though, if the manufacturer has not set it to even a rough ballpark figure of about 0.95, the measurement results can be way out. I know this doesn't help you right now @steveo_mcg, but for anyone using these IR thermometers, it's probably best to rely more on the repeatability of the measurement than the absolute value and see adjust according to the resulting film.

Carl what was the reason behind "Entries cannot be changed once submitted" ? Does anybody care if someone changes their shot ?

Thing is, if making even remotely precise measurements, these IR thermometers need to be calibrated to the emissivity of the meterial being sampled. Most basically though, if the manufacturer has not set it to even a rough ballpark figure of about 0.95, the measurement results can be way out. I know this doesn't help you right now @steveo_mcg, but for anyone using these IR thermometers, it's probably best to rely more on the repeatability of the measurement than the absolute value and see adjust according to the resulting film.

Bottled it and bought a floating spirit one so I can just toss it in the chemicals and let it do its thing.

Carl what was the reason behind "Entries cannot be changed once submitted" ? Does anybody care if someone changes their shot ?
If nothing else, I imagine it would mess up the 'likes' and any comments that had been generated by the original entry if it was subsequently changed, particularly if the change was some time after submission.

Last edited:
I've got 3 possibilities that I'm reasonably happy with for this month, just got to decide between them. In the absence of anything better, 2 of them could be used for other months so that might make my decision a bit easier!!

Done....

So much for AG's new stock control, film I ordered along with the thermometer is out of stock. It wasn't last night when I put the order in....

I'd try somewhere like Wilko, B & M Bargains or Home Bargains. They're bound to have some kind of thermometer you can use. Garden centres as well.

I've got 3 possibilities that I'm reasonably happy with for this month, just got to decide between them. In the absence of anything better, 2 of them could be used for other months so that might make my decision a bit easier!!

I'm dithering as well (though I see you've made your choice, Janet). Devved and scanned a roll of FP4 yesterday, some possibles but nothing outstanding. Also posted a roll off to Filmdev. Meanwhile I've got a couple of other options. Printed one of them off yesterday that I was quite hopeful of... plenty of lines but it doesn't really make a powerful photo. :( Oh dear, this is likely to go down to the wire, as we're driving to Scotland tomorrow...

Back