Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Good work Carl and a good choice for a tight month of January and with a bit of luck might squeeze 00:10 on 1st with some fire work shots (y)

Last edited:
Works for me mate. (y)

Well done that man... no leeway on the submission dates, bearing in mind the need to finish films and get them processed and scanned? Nearly all of the "shoot now" challenges in the past have run over the month... I guess here, at least apart from January, we can plan ahead and shoot well in advance... Hmmmmm...

Personally, I think it's important to be firm on dates.

Letting things slip is often part of the problem IMO.

^^THIS^^

Well for me anyway it works better if there is a definite cut off date as I have a big problem of putting everything off until tomorrow.

In a similar way it applies to the themes......the definite ones will not pose an issue for me as I'll be purposely looking for scenes to fit when out shooting, however the "anything goes" months will prove a definite challenge for me personally as I'll have all on deciding what to post.

I wonder if we could get the old POTY thead unpinned and the main rules thread for this year stickied? Any passing Mod care to help?

Yeah yeah, leave me alone its been a long week...

Last edited:
I think there is one issue that needs to be written down.

Voting and points award.

1.Who will be able to vote all members. Yes

2.How many many votes will each voter have, 1,2,3,4 or 5. as there are five places perhaps it should be five votes

3. If there are tied entries how will the points be distributed. (we could have a situation where six entries tie for fifth place or two winners and three joint seconds as an example).

Any views on this.

Last edited:
I think there is one issue that needs to be written down.

Voting and points award.

1.Who will be able to vote all members. Yes

2.How many many votes will each voter have, 1,2,3,4 or 5. as there are five places perhaps it should be five votes

3. If there are tied entries how will the points be distributed. (we could have a situation where six entries tie for fifth place or two winners and three joint seconds as an example).

Any views on this.

I decided to leave the number of votes at three, because I'm not certain how many people will actually enter yet... I think you need a lot of regular entries per month to make five votes a good idea. Don't want to vote for your favourite five when there are only six entries!

I was just going to award the same points to everyone who tied in the event of a tie. Say two people tie for second place, then the points would be 1st - 10, 2nd - 8, 2nd - 8, 4th - 4, 5th - 2. Or if three people tied for fifth place then it would be 1st - 10, 2nd - 8, 3rd - 6, 4th - 4, 5th - 2, 5th - 2, 5th - 2. I can't see any other way of doing it really, unless you have an idea?

I decided to leave the number of votes at three, because I'm not certain how many people will actually enter yet... I think you need a lot of regular entries per month to make five votes a good idea. Don't want to vote for your favourite five when there are only six entries!

I was just going to award the same points to everyone who tied in the event of a tie. Say two people tie for second place, then the points would be 1st - 10, 2nd - 8, 2nd - 8, 4th - 4, 5th - 2. Or if three people tied for fifth place then it would be 1st - 10, 2nd - 8, 3rd - 6, 4th - 4, 5th - 2, 5th - 2, 5th - 2. I can't see any other way of doing it really, unless you have an idea?

Anyway is OK,as long as we all know how. The only thing is if the entries are low in any one month and there are only three votes then we may find that there is only three entries with votes,that may be difficult. With five votes per voter at least you may have a better chance of a first five result.(y)

This looks interesting [emoji106][emoji106]

Apart from kudos and prestige, is there a prize, because Brucie did say......"What do points make?"

That said the kudos, prestige and personal challenge are prize enough!

This looks interesting [emoji106][emoji106]

Apart from kudos and prestige, is there a prize, because Brucie did say......"What do points make?"

That said the kudos, prestige and personal challenge are prize enough!

No prizes, just the challenge and the lols.:)

Any issues with sharing a picture before submitting it? The POTY complaint was usually thus, tbh I'm not sure I care either way but probably better to clear it.

Any issues with sharing a picture before submitting it? The POTY complaint was usually thus, tbh I'm not sure I care either way but probably better to clear it.

Doesn't bother me tbh although I'm curious as to why you need to " clear it"

Doesn't bother me tbh although I'm curious as to why you need to " clear it"
it was one of the more controversial rules and the one that caused the most fights in the previous poty incarnations, largely around anonymity which doesn't really apply here but I thought I'd check.

Does anyone mind if I enter this as well? Initially I hadn't planned to (hence why I wanted to organise it and stay involved), but I think I'd like to try and dust off the camera for a few entries. The themes were group selected and it's all peer voting so I can't see an issue, but it's best to check!

The not been seen before rule was a pain. It's so much easier to dump all photos onto flickr then link to them.

Does anyone mind if I enter this as well? Initially I hadn't planned to (hence why I wanted to organise it and stay involved), but I think I'd like to try and dust off the camera for a few entries. The themes were group selected and it's all peer voting so I can't see an issue, but it's best to check!

Only if you promise not to win all the rounds ;)

Allright by me Carl, in fact I hadn't considered that you wouldn't enter, crack on young man :D

Allright by me Carl, in fact I hadn't considered that you wouldn't enter, crack on young man :D
^^^WHS^^^ I always assumed you'd enter too.

As everyone else, I assumed you'd be entering. We need the numbers any way :p

You might be the only one organised enough to enter by the deadline if it's to be hard and fast!!! Go for it. ;)

The not been seen before rule was a pain. It's so much easier to dump all photos onto flickr then link to them.

This really confused me, Suz... what rule exactly have we not seen before???? Eventually light dawned! D'oh...

Only if you promise not to win all the rounds ;)

I don't think that's something that you'll have to worry about :LOL:

^^^WHS^^^ I always assumed you'd enter too.

As everyone else, I assumed you'd be entering. We need the numbers any way :p

You might be the only one organised enough to enter by the deadline if it's to be hard and fast!!! Go for it. ;)

Cheers all, looks like I better get my thinking cap on for ideas then!

You may remember there was to be a prize associated with the "Photographer" round of the New Old Film challenge, donated by Ingrid I think. In discussion with @Andysnap, we've agreed that FPOTY17 would be a much better competition to have the prize associated with, so if @Carl Hall and Ingrid agree, Andy will ask Ingrid to send it to Carl. I'm not entirely sure what "it" was, but I vaguely remember something about a cardboard camera?

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, very kind of you all to donate it as a prize. I'm happy to hold on to it until the winner is announced and then post it out to whoever that is.

I told the girlfriend I wouldn't be buying any more cameras for the time being. Can't wait to see her face when I tell her another camera is arriving in the post :LOL:

There is no rule that the shot can|cannot be altered in Photoshop?.....I'm going to attempt to "join" some of my firework shots into one o_O ....I'm not an expert so :eek:

There is no rule that the shot can|cannot be altered in Photoshop?.....I'm going to attempt to "join" some of my firework shots into one o_O ....I'm not an expert so :eek:

There's no rules no Brian, it's up to you how much you want to edit photos. Don't forget that it's peer voting though and everyone might have different views on editing film photos.

Is there an entries thread for this for January BTW? I've got a couple of potential candidates and, although I'll wait until later in the month in case I get something better, just wondered where to post my entry?

Ta.

There is yes, it's just slipped down the page because no one's entered yet :crying:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fpoty-2017-january-open-theme-entries.643618/

Perhaps @TheBigYin could make it a sticky for us?

There's no rules no Brian, it's up to you how much you want to edit photos. Don't forget that it's peer voting though and everyone might have different views on editing film photos.

Well I took all the shots of the fireworks but erm they weren't on one frame\shot o_O:D anyway putting parts of other shots to one shot I haven't mastered yet as photo merge didn't work :(

only sorry it's likely to be my sole contribution to the months thread :(

Been some developments in my lifestyle, and i've now (huck, spit...) got a "day job" instead of being a layabout* like i've managed for the past 13 years...

* well - that's what all my jealous mates used to call my freelance/self employed lifestyle...

only sorry it's likely to be my sole contribution to the months thread :(

Been some developments in my lifestyle, and i've now (huck, spit...) got a "day job" instead of being a layabout* like i've managed for the past 13 years...

* well - that's what all my jealous mates used to call my freelance/self employed lifestyle...
Great to hear you're now gainfully employed/Sorry to hear you're now gainfully employed.

Hope you'll still drop in to say hello every now and again.

You know, I might actually try and enter this year :) Been a while since I entered any of the forum competitions :(

Anyway, quick question. Regarding this first month, is it acceptable to enter a photo that was taken last year but not yet developed?

Back