Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Well for me plan A might be interesting with a combo of low light and flash erm but have no experience on this combo so will have to wait and see the jpgs...if a disaster, there is always plan B but might be running out of time to take the shots and send the film to filmdev.

Well for me plan A might be interesting with a combo of low light and flash erm but have no experience on this combo so will have to wait and see the jpgs...if a disaster, there is always plan B but might be running out of time to take the shots and send the film to filmdev.
Plenty of time Brian it’s only the 18th.

Plenty of time Brian it’s only the 18th.

Yes Nick but you know what filmies are like in that they wan't to use the film up...can't be many here who would take say five shots and send the film off to be done. o_O

I seriously doubt I'll have a chance to get anything better so I'm going to submit mine now

I wondered if anyone else was finding this as difficult as I am... sounds like folk are getting their shots though. My daughter looked at the two candidates and said "No. No."! :(

That's why I got a shed load done at the start of the year as I knew the weather/arse gear interface would be on the wane by now and I would struggle.

I haven't taken a camera out in weeks. I've got 3 with film in that all need using up. One might have something for the Reflection theme that is hopefully better than the one I have had in the bag since about March.

If I've got nothing really good I'll just enter the least worst of whatever fits the theme!

Bah, forgot to bring my film with me to work in order to send it to peak :/ Hope they don't have a huge backlog as time is running thin now!

Well here goes, late to the party but may as well give it a go. See entry thread

I've been without internet for a week now, it's a real PITA. Just managed to make an entry for this month from my son's house. Almost no shutter clicks this month either, so a bit of a shoe-horn!

2 days left all, entries close at 23:59 tomorrow night.

I've taken a grand total of zero photos this month but luckily I took a photo of a sign earlier in the year without realising there was a signs theme coming up!

I've got two or three shots in the bag that I can use, although I'm not sure I'm really happy with any of them to be honest, but I've got a couple of rolls to pick up from Peak later today and, while I didn't purposely take any 'signs' shots, there might be something on there that jumps out at me.

I think I've found this one to be the most difficult category of the lot.

So my Peak order literally just arrived. Of the 4 slide frames, one is *completely* shafted... I must have screwed up the metering wildly on that one. Another is about 2 stops under... Not sure how I did that, probably exposed for ISO100 instead of 50, and made a mistake in the metering. Thankfully the two frames I took for the competition are relatively well exposed. In any case, something must be wrong with my technique; these are expensive mistakes! :/

I had some negs back from them from their 'develop only' service last week; posted on Monday lunchtime received back on Weds, so I'm sure yours won't be too long.
I hope you're right. I chose the same dev only option and posted RMSD on Wednesday and still no sign :(

I hope you're right. I chose the same dev only option and posted RMSD on Wednesday and still no sign :(
Perhaps do a search on the RM website and see if it has arrived, and on what day. The problem with Special Delivery is that if there's no-one there to sign for it when they made a delivery attempt then it gets taken back to the delivery office. Sent mine using the pre-paid envelope. If RM says it got there on Thursday then perhaps give AG a phone call?

Last edited:
That's me in. It's a sad day when you have to enter from work because your home internet connection is so riddled with faults that I couldn't upload a 5MB file to flickr without it timing out. Not a single good word to say about BT.

Flickr have had issues recently too though. I've had a few bad pandas this week.

Not a single good word to say about BT.

I'm happy with Plusnet and they solved my problems by sending an engineer to rewire outside line at no cost...h'mm it was a BT engineer. Well BT own Plusnet and you would think the guys at BT would study why Plusnet is quite successful and copy.

That's me in. It's a sad day when you have to enter from work because your home internet connection is so riddled with faults that I couldn't upload a 5MB file to flickr without it timing out. Not a single good word to say about BT.
I always use the 'old uploader' facility on Flickr as when I tried the drag and drop option it kept timing out for some reason. Fingers crossed, I've never had a problem with the old uploader so I stick with that.

Last edited:

I'd ring them up and find out what is happening. If they haven't sent them back out they might take pity and offer you an emergency scan of the roll your entry is on :)

I'd ring them up and find out what is happening. If they haven't sent them back out they might take pity and offer you an emergency scan of the roll your entry is on :)
I posted another 3 films off to them yesterday so will report back when they return; they've been pretty much consistently been sending the developed (colour) negatives back by return post the last few times, so I don't know what's happened with Nick's order. :confused:

Last edited:
Got an email from them yesterday, so at least they’re on their way, whether they get here today is anybody’s guess. I have a shot I’m happy with but was hoping to have a choice for a change.

The poll for October is up, please get voting everyone. The new theme is also up for November.

@TheBigYin can you unsticky Septembers theme and sticky Novembers please? Also, is there any way of adding an "FPOTY" prefix to use for competition threads, just to make them easier to find?

Great! got loads of shots of churches...erm but think all the best ones are before the beginning of the year :eek:

As the year moves ever onwards when do the themes for next year get chosen?

Funnily enough we (Nick, Janet and I) were discussing this yesterday. I suggested that we all make some suggestions (3, 4, 5 ?) of themes and the organiser collates these, pops them in a hat snd draws 12 out. I also think it would be a good idea to get this sorted before the end of the month if possible to give folks a chance to find January's shot.
We also thought that the points system could do with a revamp, I know this has been discussed higher up this thread but we thought it should be kept simple and just award points further down the list to keep people interested.
Just a few thoughts, discuss. :)

Last edited:
Back