Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Well I'll have another go tonight...it's amazing how many cameras I own just can't say do 8 secs without using "B" and then it's easier with a winder. With the Ricoh K-10 super I can use the shutter speed dial to set up to 16 secs but haven't got a winder for it, so back to the T90 (y)

Well I'll have another go tonight...it's amazing how many cameras I own just can't say do 8 secs without using "B" and then it's easier with a winder. With the Ricoh K-10 super I can use the shutter speed dial to set up to 16 secs but haven't got a winder for it, so back to the T90 (y)

But you've already put up your shot for this month (and year), Brian!

But you've already put up your shot for this month (and year), Brian!

Well Chris for next year it could be a decisive moment when the rocket explodes o_O
Anyway I'll use a Chinon CP-7m set for 8 sec and has built in winder with a Pentax 24mm-35mm zoom (or Rikenon 28mm) as the T90 is loaded and has 2 more shots left to use up the film.

Last edited:
Ahh damn. At least if no one votes for this unknown ReglanSurf then the rest of us might have a chance to catch up in the points :D

Doesn't look like I can change it unfortunately, sorry Nick :( Unless this is something that @TheBigYin can help us with? :)

4 more days left to vote! There's a chance it might end in a draw for overall FPOTY 2017 winner, which will be interesting as I'll have to saw the prize in half :D

4 more days left to vote! There's a chance it might end in a draw for overall FPOTY 2017 winner, which will be interesting as I'll have to saw the prize in half :D

Any chance @TheBigYin could get it featured on the front page so we could encourage some other folk to vote, given it's so tight at the top?

Any chance @TheBigYin could get it featured on the front page so we could encourage some other folk to vote, given it's so tight at the top?
Mark's not about at the moment, so I did it (y)

@TheBigYin Could you please unsticky the 2017 rules and themes thread, the November theme thread, the 2017 discussion thread and the 2017 leaderboard thread please? And then sticky the January entries thread? Thanks very much :)

@TheBigYin Could you please unsticky the 2017 rules and themes thread, the November theme thread, the 2017 discussion thread and the 2017 leaderboard thread please? And then sticky the January entries thread? Thanks very much :)

Carl, I think the right way to do this is to use the Report feature at the bottom of the posts, rather than rely specifically on Mark, who may be otherwise engaged. Report gets it to the attention of the pool of mods, who can fix the issues between them if necessary.

Carl, I think the right way to do this is to use the Report feature at the bottom of the posts, rather than rely specifically on Mark, who may be otherwise engaged. Report gets it to the attention of the pool of mods, who can fix the issues between them if necessary.

Mark has asked me to tag him in posts rather than using the "Report" button. Usually I tag him once or twice, then use the report button if he's not around

think i've got that right... if not, just yell.

sorry it took a while, just back from work - i may have mentioned that I'm pretty much incommunicado while on site at work - data sensitive area, can't even take my mobile phone into the office!

Mark has asked me to tag him in posts rather than using the "Report" button. Usually I tag him once or twice, then use the report button if he's not around

I think you might have told me this before, sorry!

So, I wondered what people thought about the idea of a Blurb book (other makes are available also) of the top 3 images each month? I was thinking top image on its own LHS and then second and third on RHS. Those who wanted it would have to pay for their own copies... looks like getting on for £40 one-off price for a 20 page book (30cm square format), which should cover it. We could recognise all the entrants at the back, pop in a word of thanks for Carl, plug TP a bit, and have something to show friends and family.

Regardless of how many people wanted to buy it, this would only work if everyone involved was willing to license their work and provide a reasonably high res image file.

I'm conscious that the last time this was tried it took something like 2 years, yes years, so it's a high risk enterprise. It would be useful if whoever did it actually had some design skills and experience in using whatever software is required. I've done a couple of books with CEWE and Apple software (never Blurb, and couldn't understand it when I tried), and have no design skills at all; it was very difficult to get things looking even half decent, but if we can't find a qualified volunteer I'd be willing to give it a try. (Cough cough postcard project, cough.)

I'm not selling this idea strongly, I just wondered what others thought. Comments?

Edit: actually this is maybe a pretty bad idea, far too many moving parts and too difficult to bring to completion, sorry.

Last edited:
think i've got that right... if not, just yell.

sorry it took a while, just back from work - i may have mentioned that I'm pretty much incommunicado while on site at work - data sensitive area, can't even take my mobile phone into the office!

Cheers for that :) I think the rules and themes thread for 2017 can come down too, and any chance you can sticky the 2018 rules and themes as well please? I think it's dropped off to page 2 on the thread list now

Cheers for that :) I think the rules and themes thread for 2017 can come down too, and any chance you can sticky the 2018 rules and themes as well please? I think it's dropped off to page 2 on the thread list now

done

ETA: is there a 2018 discussion thread yet ? if so, shouldn't that get the chewing-gum treatment as well ?

Last edited:
Yeah can do, cheers Mark. We didn't put the 2017 discussion thread up as a sticky as it was pretty active so stayed near the top, but making the 2018 one a sticky might be a good idea :)

So, I wondered what people thought about the idea of a Blurb book (other makes are available also) of the top 3 images each month? I was thinking top image on its own LHS and then second and third on RHS. Those who wanted it would have to pay for their own copies... looks like getting on for £40 one-off price for a 20 page book (30cm square format), which should cover it. We could recognise all the entrants at the back, pop in a word of thanks for Carl, plug TP a bit, and have something to show friends and family.

Regardless of how many people wanted to buy it, this would only work if everyone involved was willing to license their work and provide a reasonably high res image file.

I'm conscious that the last time this was tried it took something like 2 years, yes years, so it's a high risk enterprise. It would be useful if whoever did it actually had some design skills and experience in using whatever software is required. I've done a couple of books with CEWE and Apple software (never Blurb, and couldn't understand it when I tried), and have no design skills at all; it was very difficult to get things looking even half decent, but if we can't find a qualified volunteer I'd be willing to give it a try. (Cough cough postcard project, cough.)

I'm not selling this idea strongly, I just wondered what others thought. Comments?

Edit: actually this is maybe a pretty bad idea, far too many moving parts and too difficult to bring to completion, sorry.

I think it sounds good Chris, I'd certainly buy a copy if the price wasn't crazy. I had a couple of Blurb books last year, and the quality of them is really very good (their customer service is appalling though, in my experience).

I’d be interested too.

Back