FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

Thanks for your hard work organising this again Carl. You're doing a great job and it's much appreciated. :)

Looking at the themes for 2018..... :runaway:

Last edited:
H'mm interesting but thought January would be "anything goes" or at least swap to still life as at least we can shoot indoors.....but then January might be warm and February a very cold month o_O

Thanks for your hard work organising this again Carl. You're doing a great job and it's much appreciated. :)

Looking at the themes for 2018..... :runaway:

Yeah that was pretty much my thought too when I saw natural light portraits come out of the hat. Especially as I meant to "accidentally" leave that one out of the hat :LOL:

What an excellent, challenging set of themes! Let's hope we all buckle down and have a go, rather than drop out when it's outside our comfort zone... I say that, nervously thinking about natural light portraits! :thinking::crying::grumpy:;)

I must say, I'm really looking forward to this.

I must also join with Janet to say thank you for your hard work in organising this. We really do appreciate it.(y) Apart from not dropping natural light portraits on the floor, naturally!:D:D

What an excellent, challenging set of themes! Let's hope we all buckle down and have a go, rather than drop out when it's outside our comfort zone... I say that, nervously thinking about natural light portraits! :thinking::crying::grumpy:;)

I think it'll move me up a notch (or two!) from my comfort zone and I'll have to make more of an effort. Hopefully it won't put me off and lead to 'sod it' syndrome!

One thing that I did think of, but never got round to saying; perhaps there should be a bonus point system for those that have made the effort to put an entry in each month? This might encourage people not to drop out or 'cherry pick'. Perhaps a '15% 12 image points bonus' applied at the end might be worth thinking about?

Obviously it would have to apply to photos that met each month's theme criteria to stop people just sticking anything in to preserve their entries record!

Last edited:
I think it'll move me up a notch (or two!) from my comfort zone and I'll have to make more of an effort. Hopefully it won't put me off and lead to 'sod it' syndrome!

Well for me, Jan and feb are the hardest months (or any month that is very cold) as I would only leave the house about once a week to visit a boring town for odds and ends.

Good job you've got December to get a head start then Brian ;)(y)

Ah a new rule then that anyone over 70 can start in dec for next year :D
Bloody cold weather as my motorbike needs a MOT and I ain't riding it till at least next tues when the weather is a bit warmer.

I think there should be extra points for people who manage to stick to the theme and include a goat... and extra extra points if no-one spots the goat before the end of voting... :D:D:D

Excited! I'm gonna have a crack at this as part of my "Get my film mojo back" New Year Resolution :)

Mr Snap had to explain 'The Decisive Moment' to me. Then yesterday, we went out and saw something that would have made a great shot for the subject. When it happened, I think he was winding his camera on. My camera was still in it's case inside a bag!! :rolleyes:

Bloody useless, the pair of us!

Mr Snap had to explain 'The Decisive Moment' to me. Then yesterday, we went out and saw something that would have made a great shot for the subject. When it happened, I think he was winding his camera on. My camera was still in it's case inside a bag!! :rolleyes:

If anyone is unsure of Henri Cartier-Bresson's "decisive moment" have a look here althoughTed Forbes is mainly talking about the republishing of the book he does a pretty job of explaining it and HCB's approach. Ted is not to everyone's taste and the bigging up of the sponsors can be a bit of a drag but I've been watching his podcasts for years and have really enjoyed most of them. So if you're at a loss as to what te decisive moment is, give it a go.

View: https://youtu.be/FNKV0TQULMY

Last edited:

h'mm unless you fake a shot it would seem you need a bit of luck i.e. at the right place at the right time and you just have one month to take the shot.

Two months, Brian. Photos can be taken anytime from 1st Dec to 31st January.

o_O Mrs snap I didn't know that...a rule change and thought Carl was joking\typo when he said to me "I can start snapping in DEC for next year"

From the rules thread:

All images entered must be TAKEN ON FILM and on or after the 1st December 2017 when the themes are unveiled. The date the photo is taken is defined as the day the shutter is pressed to record the image to film, not the date the film was scanned etc.

It's the same as it was this year Brian, we have December as an extra month so that we're not all pushed for time in January. If you want, you can go out and take all of your images for FPOTY 2018 right now. I even added the below bit in the rules thread for clarification

A photo may be taken from the time the themes are announced on December 1st 2017, until the final day of the month for that theme. For example, January’s entry may be taken between 1st December 2017 and 31st January 2018, and October’s entry can be taken between 1st December 2017 and 31st October 2018.

Ah, the curse of the never-ready case! Been there and got several t-shirts! :facepalm:

It's a shame that none of you were pointing a film camera my way this morning on my walk to work when 4 (yes 4!) consecutive cars decided that, rather than swerving around it, they'd plough straight through the middle of the puddle and give me 4 consecutive drenchings. Surely that would have been easy 'decisive moments' pickings!!

It's a shame that none of you were pointing a film camera my way this morning on my walk to work when 4 (yes 4!) consecutive cars decided that, rather than swerving around it, they'd plough straight through the middle of the puddle and give me 4 consecutive drenchings. Surely that would have been easy 'decisive moments' pickings!!
I can be there Monday if you’re up for recreating it.

Where did that month go? Time to make a decision.

Hah! Lucky to have something to make a decision between! I don't seem to have shot anything this month... :(

It took me about 2 weeks to make the flash trigger for my photo, and I wasn't sure I'd even get a photo before the end of the month. Luckily it all worked out in time! Now I have to rattle my brain and get thinking of something for Feb!

Only a day and a half left for entries into this months theme. If you've yet to enter a photo please make sure it's posted before 23:59 tomorrow :)

I'll try, but it all depends on how busy FilmDev are... oh, yes, and whether my photo is any good too! :whistle:

That's never stopped me from entering :D
Or me, but this month's subject seemed to be a harder one than usual to cobble something even vaguely relevant together, with even less light and time in which to do the cobbling! :whistle:

Back