FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

I've got some shots that I'm hopeful of, just had them back from filmdev and not had time to work on them yet but they look ok at first glance.

This does feel to me like a challenge that needs a few days at least for PP!

I'm going to do it in Lightroom's print module. Happy to do it for you (or anyone) assuming it's three portrait orientations next to each other. If you have Lightroom and want to DIY...

- Select the three images (important)
- Go into the Print module
- Bottom left, change the page setup to A4 Landscape
- Top right, Layout style "contact sheet"
- Layout - Set to Rows: 1, Columns: 3 (or 2 if there's 2 images)
- Layout - Mess around with cell size and spacing to get them how you like
- Page - Page Background Color will allow you to change the background
- Print Job - change to "print to jpeg"

- Click "Print to file". You will be asked for a location to send it to.

- Re-import the jpeg into Lightroom if required to crop the A4 size to something "nice" for presentation or to trim any margins if you've selected a non-white background colour.
- Upload the jpeg to your preferred image hosting service.

I'm happy to do it for people. Just send me 3 appropriately sized (i.e. small) images and a preferred background colour. I'll send you a jpeg by return.

Ian, have you tried this for images which are of different sizes?

I've been trying to adapt this advice for Aperture (possibly relevant, Aperture's printing seems to have somehow changed radically when I updated MacOS to Mojave). It all looks like it should work, and indeed if I use 3 images the same size (eg 3 portrait format 2:3 images), I get to a printable page. At the moment I can't work out how to print to JPEG, which I used to be able to do. There's a print to PDF option, which is not ideal as I'd have to find a quality way to convert the PDF to JPEG. Supposedly there's a "Save PDF as JPEG" option, which I've tried, but I can't find the resulting file anywhere (I don't even know what the filename would be, as it doesn't ask).

However, for various reasons I want to have a different aspect ratio for the middle image. When I get to your 5th step above, the middle image is shown as a different size than the two outer images. It appears that the horizontal "width" of the 3 images is the same, which means the middle image is not so tall. It's not at all the effect I want.

Have you tried with LR in the circumstance I describe?

And anyone... do you know another piece of software that will easily make such a composite image? I imagine it must be possible using Photo$hop or its "layer-oriented" equivalents, to put an image in each layer and somehow position them to not overlap, but that's way beyond my current capabilities!

If it's less straightforward I'd use the Custom Layout.

- Select the three images (important)
- Go into the Print module
- Bottom left, change the page setup to A4 Landscape
- Top right, Layout style "custom layout", click the little x in the top corner to get rid of all the pages until you just have 1
- Drag image 1 onto the page, right click, "match photo aspect ratio". Repeat for image 2 & 3
- Resize images by dragging the corners. Hold shift while you drag to keep the aspect ratio constant.
- Drag images into pleasing position

- Page - Page Background Color will allow you to change the background
- Print Job - change to "print to jpeg"

I couldn't find an analogy to that in Aperture, quite... but while fiddling about with the contact sheet option, I discovered some guidelines on the preview image that pop up when you mouse over. By shrinking the vertical size, I was able to get the portrait format images to match the central image. The downside is that they also moved further apart.

I still couldn't get "Print to JPEG" to work, but I found I was able to select Open in Preview (which is an Acrobat equivalent on Macs) and from there I was able to save to JPEG, and also to do a test print. So I now have a (rather grotty) workflow that'll let me try out my various candidates. Thanks for your help, Ian!

...Open in Preview (which is an Acrobat equivalent on Macs) and from there I was able to save to JPEG, and also to do a test print...

And got 3 tiny images bottom left hand corner of the paper! Oh well, something else to tweak!

And got 3 tiny images bottom left hand corner of the paper! Oh well, something else to tweak!
And if you hadn’t told us we would have thought that it was on purpose.

This video from Adorama TV on shooting a triptych and assembling it in Photoshop was interesting: https://www.adorama.com/alc/0013914...graphy-with-Gavin-Hoey-Adorama-Photography-TV

I managed to follow through using Affinity Photo, by hunting around a bit for analogous controls, and assembled something based on an idea in my mind and 3 source photos. At least I've proved the idea doesn't work! However, I might be able to use the approach in simpler ways to avoid some of the issues I had above with images not all the same size!

Last edited:
Well my film is in the post. I reckon there's a small chance I'll get it back by Wednesday. If not I'll post two unrelated photos and come up with some made up and abstruse link between them :D
That is the right and proper f&c approach (y)

Filmdev were great as usual, both sets of scans received this afternoon. Just in the nick of time!
It is the best kind of time.

Poll has been added for 7 days and closes next Thursday morning (8th Aug). Get voting!

Some really good ones in there, even Nick's.
Was this comment in the right thread? I don't think he entered the Triptych, but the Old Film Huts!

Was this comment in the right thread? I don't think he entered the Triptych, but the Old Film Huts!

Yeah, I was trying to be clever but instead ended up looking silly but chose to let my idiocy stand...

Just do what I do when I say something stupid, pull a silly face and pretend it was said deliberately as a joke. I've been doing this for years, as being known as "Carl that likes silly jokes" is better than "Carl the idiot" :D

Don't worry mate you're always the latter to us...:D

This was the first month where I didn't have enough votes. I wanted six votes and I got three. Very difficult as there were some really carefully put together entries.

This month illustrated for me why I keep taking part in FPOTY. It was a real challenge that pushed me to explore things I'd never really thought about, both in terms of composition, and processing/presentation...

I must admit, when I saw the topic I thought "oooh, that's going to be interesting - I really want to see how the guys in here approach this, because it's oh so easy for it to turn into a photoshop skills thing in the presentation - I hope I see some lateral thinking ways of getting 3 disparate images into a single cohesive 'panel'..."

Then in the run-up, with people discussing their efforts, I switched gears and thought "sod it, it's all about the 2-3 images and if they tell a story or hang together - i'll just judge it like if they'd handed me 3 10x8's and said here's mine".

Then I saw how everyone's entries came up - I deliberately didn't go into the entries thread until after the cut off - and was really pleased that everyone seemed to have taken their own path with it...

This topic, anywhere else in the forum would have been a complete photoshop exhibition. I'm so happy that we didn't need to make it the same in here, and I'm equally pleased that people have been pushed into considering the presentation a little more...

I'd have voted for everyone if I'd have been able to. You're all stars.

It does appear that, in general, we do tend to think a lot bit more laterally in f and c, it pleases me immensely. :)

My apologies for not appearing in augusts challenge. I've been signed off work and the last thing I had in mind to do was leave the house.
I'm hoping to get an entry for September though, fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that Mads, and hopefully you'll be out and about soon. If you've got a garden, you won't even have to go far for this month's topic. ;)

My apologies for not appearing in augusts challenge. I've been signed off work and the last thing I had in mind to do was leave the house.

Oh dear, hope the problem gets sorted soon, Mads.

Thanks guys, I'm slowly getting there :) just some work induced stress.

I wouldn't wanna photograph my garden, its currently reminiscent of a post apocalyptic warground :LOL:

Hope you feel better soon Mads.

Get well soon Mads.

Hope things improve for you...... for me and guys that know me have noticed I can't get far going up inclines etc without getting out of breath, so no point going on meets with lovely scenery and hills. Well tomorrow I'm going in hospital and they are hopefully going to open up arteries in my heart...fascinating stuff these days as they put a probe in your arm and send it to your heart to see and expand arteries...erm all while you are awake o_O:eek: and if you are seen early can go home in the evening. (y)
Anyone interested in what they can do, it is called angioplasty and remember guys to look out for early symptoms of heart problems and don't confuse it with indigestion or pains in arms or back or chest bone etc......thinking you've pulled a muscle.

Hope things improve for you...... for me and guys that know me have noticed I can't get far going up inclines etc without getting out of breath, so no point going on meets with lovely scenery and hills. Well tomorrow I'm going in hospital and they are hopefully going to open up arteries in my heart...fascinating stuff these days as they put a probe in your arm and send it to your heart to see and expand arteries...erm all while you are awake o_O:eek: and if you are seen early can go home in the evening. (y)
Anyone interested in what they can do, it is called angioplasty and remember guys to look out for early symptoms of heart problems and don't confuse it with indigestion or pains in arms or back or chest bone etc......thinking you've pulled a muscle.
Wow, that sounds like a big day for you tomorrow Brian. Hopefully it will be as painless as such a thing can be, and that you'll soon be seeing the benefit from the procedure. Be sure to let us know how you get on. (y)

That's really good, Brian, hope all goes well. Scary, though!

Hope all goes well Brian and we'll see you charging up some hills pretty soon.

Back