FILM Photographer of the Year 2021 Discussion Thread

I've got a couple of potential shots on a roll of film with thirteen frames left. Got to get them shot by Sunday morning at the latest in order to dev and scan in time.

erm if B\W why can't you cut the film and dev just those ones exposed..................................
For me with colour film have run out of time, no excuses as the comp started in Dec so will concentrate on the future months comp.

erm if B\W why can't you cut the film and dev just those ones exposed..................................
For me with colour film have run out of time, no excuses as the comp started in Dec so will concentrate on the future months comp.

It's 120 roll film in a Bronica ETRSi back. I've no idea how or even if I can cut that? Plus I'd have to use as much developer as I would for a full roll.

Shooting the other thirteen frames won't be a problem. Might get out this lunchtime, failing that tomorrow of Sunday morning.

Congratulations to Paul @Boots, a clear winner for February. I'll get the points up this evening along with the March entries thread

The thread for March entries is up

@TheBigYin please could you pin the March thread and unpin the February thread, thanks.

Well hope I'm not going to run out of time this month to enter...the meter started to not work on my X-700 so checked the two batteries and were well under 1.5v (LR44) erm no problem use the camera without (as didn't have spares), not so the camera is a door stop without batteries :eek: and have to wait until 17 March for new ones. :(
On the bay Duracell LR44 Alkaline and bought 10 @ £5.37 from British supplier erm hope they are not fake Chinese Duracell that's going around. :eek:

Edit: robbed the OM2 as the batteries still have some charge (y)

Last edited:
Two weeks to go folks, plenty of time to shoot and dev something shiny

The poll is up, 7 days for voting

There weren't very many entries this month and I just wanted to check that people are happy with the approach to FPOTY this year? I hope it is more due to a lock-down malaise rather than something I have misjudged about what people want from this?

I've got no problem with it - although I entered :)

My photography is definitely suffering though. Being stuck at home is no help.

I too am fine with it - but I entered. As a new participant, I have found the FPOTY to be quite creatively stimulating.

Rubbish weather/light up here has been my biggest problem so far this year, and once more the FPOTY has got me off my backside to get out and shoot something suitable. Then again, I'm lucky to be retired and still able to get out for walks, whereas others will be hampered with competing time or pandemic commitments.

I too am fine with it - but I entered. As a new participant, I have found the FPOTY to be quite creatively stimulating.
Good to see new participants. Hopefully as restrictions relax further some of our past regulars may join in again, the points regime will mean they can still catch up.

Yep, all good here, just the lockdown problems making things difficult.

The April thread is up

@TheBigYin please could you unpin the March thread and pin the April thread, thanks.

This month's theme "accurate" is sooo hard to find an alternative to common close up shots of watches, micrometers etc erm can my tomato seedlings be accurately growing o_O but then plenty of shots on the net showing seedlings...oh well some shoehorn might come into my head. :rolleyes:

Back in the game at last, with Accurate: shot indoors with two soft boxes. Also in the bag are potential entries for Direction and Wet, off the same film. As I may be on a roll (no pun intended) I need to get back out there asap to line up more entries to make up for lost time.

This month's theme "accurate" is sooo hard to find an alternative to common close up shots of watches, micrometers etc erm can my tomato seedlings be accurately growing o_O but then plenty of shots on the net showing seedlings...oh well some shoehorn might come into my head. :rolleyes:
Shoehorn away, in fact a too-tight shoe being shoehorned on seems like a good take on it for me.

Well missed the entry for rubbish and might have got a few points for my shot....out of that lot only the Honda is mine :(
ngzn6vO.jpg

Well that's tomorrow at sorted then...break out the Mamiya and the thinking cap :)

@sirch I just noticed - 83.4. You have not eaten enough pies young man!

The May thread is up for the theme of "Direction"

@TheBigYin please could you pin the May thread and unpin the April thread, thanks

Back