FILM Photographer of the Year 2021 Discussion Thread

If we can't go out then what's left other than indoor or dim garden shot...maybe just for the lock down period we could bend the rules by allowing shots from say June 2020...erm well I could put my shot back up o_O:sneaky:
I've got four shots left on my T90 and the street lighting is not great outside my house h'mm now how to make it interesting.....................................
I'm happy to go with the views of those who have or are likely to enter but i don't like changing the rules after the competition has started.

excalibur2 said:

If we can't go out then what's left other than indoor or dim garden shot...maybe just for the lock down period we could bend the rules by allowing shots from say June 2020...erm well I could put my shot back up o_O:sneaky:
I've got four shots left on my T90 and the street lighting is not great outside my house h'mm now how to make it interesting.....................................

I'm happy to go with the views of those who have or are likely to enter but i don't like changing the rules after the competition has started.
3 out of the 4 entries for Dim are indoor shots, so I think that.s definitely do-able for most. I might not need to go any further than my loft or garage for Cluttered in February ......... :jawdrop: :whistle:

3 out of the 4 entries for Dim are indoor shots, so I think that.s definitely do-able for most. I might not need to go any further than my loft or garage for Cluttered in February ......... :jawdrop: :whistle:
It's probably possible to kill two birds with one stone in the loft

Well I want to show my appreciation for doing this by entering something even if it's a badly lit road shot and you never know a fox might come along and pose for me (y)

If we could just get out.... the theme dim is excellent for interesting shots. Just reading about these old shots at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-55537454 and think the first shot would be a winner taken by Michael Bennet h'mm hope I haven't broke any copyright other wise the mods can delete it
dim lit.jpg

@TheBigYin Mark, please could you unsticky the 2020 threads

and sticky the January 2021 thread

Dare I also suggest a little review of what is pinned in Talk Film and Conventional since there are quite a lot of pinned threads, for example do "Nutters with Cameras - f&c style" and "Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot ..." really merit being pinned?

Thanks

@TheBigYin Mark, please could you unsticky the 2020 threads

and sticky the January 2021 thread

Dare I also suggest a little review of what is pinned in Talk Film and Conventional since there are quite a lot of pinned threads, for example do "Nutters with Cameras - f&c style" and "Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot ..." really merit being pinned?

Thanks
I agree Chris, it can get a little crowded at the top of the page and I must take some responsibility for that, I kept forgetting to ask TBY to unsticky the completed months, Although I do quite like that the Nutters and car boot finds threads are pinned, I think for newbies it gives an idea of what this section is like, it’s light hearted and a bit of fun. If it’s not pinned there’s a danger it will fade away, never to be seen again, like a causeway disappearing under the incoming tide.

A causeway disappearing under the incoming tide.. That reminds me of an (unpinned) thread that also gives an idea of what we're like here.

Well my dim shots were a disaster and have ran out of time for another film.....so do I enter it to get some sort of points coming last of would it be taking the #### and lowering the standard of entries, afterall it wouldn't be much of an advert for the comp, to anyone viewing, if everyone entered crap shots.
So what is the members thinking? i.e. put up or shut up.

That reminds me of an (unpinned) thread that also gives an idea of what we're like here.

No need for that thread to be pinned. Some joker will always add a reply after a year or two...

We are talking about *that* tide aren't we?

Poll is up, get voting!

@sirch Help me out, my brain hurts and maths was never my strong point. The points formula for this years competition is P = V x F/N, so what is F?

@sirch Help me out, my brain hurts and maths was never my strong point. The points formula for this years competition is P = V x F/N, so what is F?

While the answer to Life, Universe and Everything is 42 but in this case WTF is 30 ! I love algebra :woot:but then I did marry a math's teacher.

Last edited:
@dmb is spot on. The idea is to normalise the points if there are a varying number of voters. I'm expecting the number of voters to tail off through the year and I wanted a Factor that was around twice the number of voters. F will stay at 30 for the rest of the year.

I probably really should have gone for 42 though :)

@dmb is spot on. The idea is to normalise the points if there are a varying number of voters. I'm expecting the number of voters to tail off through the year and I wanted a Factor that was around twice the number of voters. F will stay at 30 for the rest of the year.

I probably really should have gone for 42 though :)
Thanks Chris

I took one at the weekend, but I'm hoping inspiration will strike with something better before the closing date...

Only a couple of weeks to go folks, get those entries posted.

Indeed.... for me with lockdown and the cold weather (brrr going out) am finding it difficult to finish up a roll of colour film (snow shots would have helped if we had some). Anyway now warm sunny weather and I'll hope to find something to shoot to finish the roll up. (y)
Guys into B\W have an advantage as that can take a few shots and just develop those.

@sirch
Do we have the results from January? There's a good chance I've missed it, my Covid brain is still a bit fuzzy at times. :)

@sirch
No worries I found the results, funnily enough it was exactly where it should be :)

Oh no, have you had it? Hope you are on the mend and have a full and speedy recovery.

Yes, I caught it in the pub at the end of October and, being the generous and caring husband, gave it to Mrs Snap. A very popular present .
I had much the worse of it, man-covid it's called, like having a really bad cold for 3 weeks, but it is taking a long time to bugger off completely. I still have days when I'm absolutely knackered but they are becoming fewer

Yes, I caught it in the pub at the end of October and, being the generous and caring husband, gave it to Mrs Snap. A very popular present .
I had much the worse of it, man-covid it's called, like having a really bad cold for 3 weeks, but it is taking a long time to bugger off completely. I still have days when I'm absolutely knackered but they are becoming fewer

None of that matters as long as you're still here. Glad you made it through.

Sorry but :D

Glad you are getting over it and haven't lost your sense of humour.

There were a few weeks when it was strained but generally I kept smiling. :)

Plenty of sunshine and fresh air should finally make you better. I reckon I caught Covid in Dec 2019 as we all had a continous cough....and why do I think it could be Covid? Well since then my Covid brain has inflicted me with vivid dreams every night and I never had them before. :(

Plenty of sunshine and fresh air should finally make you better. I reckon I caught Covid in Dec 2019 as we all had a continous cough....and why do I think it could be Covid? Well since then my Covid brain has inflicted me with vivid dreams every night and I never had them before. :(
That's not Covid Brian, that's Bootie Bargain Withdrawal syndrome! ;)

Back