Film Photographer of the Year - The shots that didn't make the cut

Thanks for the compliment @sirch :) Not a patch on your paper chain though (if you'll excuse the pun!).

Here are a couple of my rejects, taken with a Yashinon lensed Yashica 635, using a close-up lens converter for the first one, on Ilford HP5. I'm too pushed for time to crop the second shot as I would have done to enter the comp... but since neither of these would have been good enough to enter it's all a bit academic!

That’s a very clean and shiny bike, it looks brand new.

First time I have look in here,

The last page has some very,very good photographs, well done you guys for dropping them out.

Great work on film.(y)

That’s a very clean and shiny bike, it looks brand new.
Cleanliness is next to godliness. :D Besides, if you never use a bike it tends to stay clean, it's about 22 years old and I bet it's not done more than 200 miles yet :whistle:

Cleanliness is next to godliness. :D Besides, if you never use a bike it tends to stay clean, it's about 22 years old and I bet it's not done more than 200 miles yet :whistle:
Brilliant!

Brilliant!
It was an insurance replacement for the same model that got stolen from the garden shed at my first house. To avoid getting this one stolen I had to keep it upstairs in the spare room, and it was such a faff getting it down to use, then cleaning it enough to bring back into the house that I gave up using it, then I changed jobs and had too little spare time. Now I've moved to a house with a secure garage I'm too old and knackered to do it justice! :LOL: I've only kept it in case I need an emergency means of transport, mind you, It's probably a collector's item now in that condition!

This was a contender for the Fake category as I'm pretty sure it wasn't the real Joni Mitchell who scraped her name on the concrete pillar. ;) This was from an LF Taster Day with Keith Moss and is a former gun emplacement on the North Sutor entrance to the Cromarty Firth.
More historic detail at https://canmore.org.uk/site/75579/north-sutor-coast-battery Camera was an Ebony RSW45 with Nikon 90mm on 2005 Acros Quickload developed in D-76

2018-03-31-0002-copy-V1-tp.jpg

This was my original shot for FAKE and the one that gave me the idea to try a magic shot.

Levitation by Andy, on Flickr

C330f, 80mm lens on Fomapan 200.

Oooo, you want to be careful dabbling with the black arts, Andy, look what happened to Paul Daniels and Tommy Cooper. :eek:

Last edited:
Oooo, you want to be careful dabbling with the black arts, Andy, look what happened to Paul Daniels and Tommy Cooper. :eek:

Yes but Harry Potter did alright out of it, he lives in a big 'ouse in that Monty Karlo now you know.

Here are a couple of my backup shots, as usual I still wonder if I should have entered one of them. Both from the Coventry Transport Museum. The first is the front wheel of a Triumph Bonneville 750, built in a now-vanished factory in Meriden (supposedly the geographical centre of England) near here:

1805EPMXBW10 by Chris R, on Flickr

And if that one's a bit square on, I liked this penny-farthing bicycle and its shadow:

1805EPMXBW17 by Chris R, on Flickr

Both Pentax MX, Vivitar 35-70/2.8 and Tri-X.

I'm also showing this, despite it being out of focus even on the second attempt! I really wanted to get a good shot of this tricycle, but it was mounted on a carousel and I just couldn't manage to get a good shot of it despite going back for a second time:

Tricycle and diff.jpg

The key innovation here was the invention of the differential, celebrated in the legend on the floor. I think his real idea was to use it with "companion" tricycles, which had two seats side by side. They had been difficult to use as each rider powered one wheel, so they were erratic. The differential meant they could go round corners more easily with both riders powering one axle. This was made and invented by James Starley, regarded as the father of the bicycle. He has a monument in Coventry, where you can see this tricycle celebrated:

Starley.jpg

Again, both Pentax MX and Vivitar 35-70/2.8. The first is on Tri-X, the second on XP2.

I'll be glad when this one is over and I can the line a wheel within a wheel out of my head. Most irritatingly I had a wheel within a wheel with a spider web strung from my (chronically underused) mtb wheel spokes but I didn't have a camera.

Well, here's one that didn't make the cut. A photo of a Lancaster bomber flying over Derwent Reservoir dam on the 75th anniversary of the Dambuster's raid on the Ruhr Valley. This was the result of a 2 hour car journey and an hour and a half long 4 mile trek to get there (and the same to get home again); such was my dedication to bring you a lovely photograph for the theme of 'Airborne' this month.

Can't see it? No, neither did we, or the Typhoon jet that was apparently being sent as a replacement! The Typhoon did eventually turn up though, around 20 mins after official word had gone out that the event was cancelled due to low cloud and almost everyone had packed their cameras away, climbed down the hillside and were on the heavily wooded track at the bottom! Sometimes a shot just isn't going to happen, no matter how much effort is put in.

Canon EOS-3, 28-135 IS on Kodak Colorplus 200.

As a rule I don't usually look through the existing entries before posting mine (gets too depressing seeing how good the others are). This time I had two possibles - and though I like this one I took yesterday thought not the thing to enter a shot of what I think is the same stunt team as @Andysnap on a different day.

eos3_200618_01es.jpg

Oh OK Mr Badger - EOS 3 - 35-105mm EF - Agfa Vista Plus 200

Last edited:
Looks like the same chaps. We've not had much rain lately so I presume the wheels of the landing ramp lorry didn't get embedded into the ground this time!! It was quite funny watching all those 4x4's trying, and failing, to drag it away :D

Just a guess...have you been to the Cheshire Show this week?!?

Last edited:
Good grief, if that didn't make the cut I might as well give up now :D

Well, none of these could have possibly done any worse than my Airborne entry!

a) I had this in mind for a long time, but in the end chickened out because of general softness. From way back in the cold, gloomy dark days, saw this bloke feeding the gulls and I only had the monopod to steady the camera for probably a half quarter second shot. Still, with a tripod the birds would have been long gone!

Airborne 1.jpg

b) When I saw this scene at Fisherow unfolding, I was very hopeful, but it was cordoned off for 'elf & safety reasons, so couldn't get any closer and really had the wrong lens on (Pentax-M 35/2 IIRC). This was the last boat to go back into the harbour after winter. (Quite a crop I think.)

Airborne 2.jpg

c) I made two visits to Birmingham airport to shoot the A380 taking off. First time I was in the wrong place, second time there was nothing interesting going on in the sky. The only real reason for posting this one is to note how close to the end of the (specially extended) runway that beast was before the wheels came unstuck! Not much margin for error there, and the spectator area just outside the fence...

Airborne 3.jpg

First one FP4+ in Pentax MX (for FP4Party), the other two Superia 400 in Pentax LX...

Last edited:
Here are a couple of my backup shots, as usual I still wonder if I should have entered one of them. Both from the Coventry Transport Museum. The first is the front wheel of a Triumph Bonneville 750, built in a now-vanished factory in Meriden (supposedly the geographical centre of England) near here:

1805EPMXBW10 by Chris R, on Flickr

And if that one's a bit square on, I liked this penny-farthing bicycle and its shadow:

1805EPMXBW17 by Chris R, on Flickr

Both Pentax MX, Vivitar 35-70/2.8 and Tri-X.

I love this shot Chris - lovely contrast & tones - well taken! :)

Last edited:
Two of my rejected contenders for the close-up and macro month...

1) Hosta flower

000103420029 by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, M100/4 "semi-macro" lens plus extension rings, Portra 160

2) Wool on wire

000021660014 by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70/2.8 lens, Portra 160 wide open, hand-held.

The second was my favourite, but I wasn't quite brave enough!

There was also half a roll of Tri-X that I've only just developed, due to get scanned soon, that had a number of staged shot. No idea if any are any good, but they weren't eligible anyway...

Last edited:
Well, any of these couldn't have done much worse than my nuclear explosion entry!

004 by Chris R, on Flickr

d) I liked the shape of this tree and the sheep in its shade (though not underneath it) but again I wanted more sky. Lovely day for a coast walk (Dorset, near Golden Cap), but not the best light.

000046910024 by Chris R, on Flickr

The mono ones were Pentax MX, the colour were (the sadly now busted) Pentax LX with Pentax-M 35-70 (which has also sadly lost infinity focus after the same drop)

Oddly reminds me of a detail from a Salvador Dali painting:

Two of my rejected contenders for the close-up and macro month...

2) Wool on wire

000021660014 by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70/2.8 lens, Portra 160 wide open, hand-held.

The second was my favourite, but I wasn't quite brave enough!

There was also half a roll of Tri-X that I've only just developed, due to get scanned soon, that had a number of staged shot. No idea if any are any good, but they weren't eligible anyway...
I really like that and I almost shot the same shot and would have definitely
voted for it.

Now that the final Wet category has gone and Nick has been rightly lauded as FPOTY 2018, perhaps it's time to bring out some of the wet shots from the Onich trip. :snaphappy:

#1 View from my caravan Nikon F80, 35-70, Sensia
2018-10-16-0042-copy-tp.jpg

#2 As above, but from a 5x4 pinhole shot
2018-10-14-0002-copy-tp2.jpg

#3 Glencoe Lochan, F80, 35-70, Sensia, umbrella cropped out!
2018-10-16-0067-copy-tp.jpg

Thank you Peter, much appreciated.

Really liking the pinhole shot in particular, very atmospheric.

Well here's what i originally planned but on the way out of the cave something got trapped in the Peli case seal and so water got in and soaked the Pentax ME Super and the film in it. I got the camera dried out but what to do about the Fuji Color film. In the end after asking for help on here I decided to give it a go in HC 110, this was the result...CalfHoles1.jpg

CalfHoles2.jpg

Back