Film Photographer of the Year - The shots that didn't make the cut

Too many Bs....

I met these 2 kayakers at Castle Tioram and they were originally my shots for May, and then I met them again at the harbour at Inverie on Knoydart 4 days later.

#1 is the Minox 35GT with Colorplus 200
2019-05-30-0001-copy-tp-scan.jpg

#2 is with the Nikon F80, 35-105, & ood Sensia via Ag
2019-05-29-0013-copy-tp.jpg

#3 is a Minox shot at Inverie
2019-05-30-0007-copy-tp-scan.jpg

I was in a bit of a dither last night, as I quite like some of these, but also thought they were perhaps a bit ordinary...

1) Logs or legs?

Wood backups 4.jpg

Pentax LX, Vista 400

2) Blasted but defiant

Wood backups 3.jpg

Pentax LX, Superia 400

3) Struggling to grow again

Wood backups 2.jpg

Pentax LX, Superia 400

This was my alternate choice. It's from the same roll of Provia as my actual entry, but taken on a different day in a different location (by the bank of the River Derwent near Calver, should you be interested).

Yashica Mat 124G
Fuji Provia 100

FILM - It didn't make the cut
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I had been hoping to get some shots of the boatbuilders at the Portsoy Traditional Boat Festival, but a combination of crowds, angles and bad processing by Jessops meant I didn't get what I was looking for. Still, it's let me have another practice for this month, so not all bad. ;)

ContactSheet-001-boats.jpg

These were my alternates which, given my limited vote count this month, might have been better choices. :)

TBH for me colour works better for this theme, I'm struggling to articulate why but ...

Here are my alternates for Weather and its Effects. I had quite a few to choose from and it was a difficult decision to choose one (although I seem to have picked well for once this time). Being the sort of idiot who thinks it's a good idea to go out taking photos in bad weather helped. :)

The first three are shot with my Canon Sure Shot Z135 on HP5+

FILM - Rainy Times

FILM - Rainy Day Big Bus Tours

FILM - Times Square umbrellas

The rest are all shot with my OM-1 (Zuiko 28mm & 50mm lenses), again on HP5+.

FILM - Rainy racedays

FILM - Wet seats

FILM - PING

FILM - Crossing the road in the rain

Great series Nige. Particularly like 3 with the background poster of the girls in bikinis "afraid" of the bad weather. That's a great street shot.

There's a belief amongst some of the F&C crowd that north west Scotland is prone to wet and windy weather. o_O This would be the kind of weather that led to hydro-electric schemes in the past and windfarms nowadays, so this was an example of that. You'll maybe notice that the reservoir is well short of full, since the weather is sometimes not that wet! :) Yashicamat 124G, ood 2005 Konica 750 IR film with Hoya R72 filter, semi-stand developed in 1:100 Rodinal.

Loch Glascarnoch Dam by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had a few options from our trip to Slovenia, where we did have a bit of weather!

a) I was very tempted by this scene when I took it, although the wonderful misty clouds don't show up as well, and I definitely should not have got that background tree dead central! (Somewhere near Kranjska Gora I think.)

1909EPLXCN Beard Lichen Slovenia by Chris R, on Flickr

b) All grey and murky on the bus out to Lake Bohinj, but all clear from the top of the lift, just felt the light was too harsh...

1909GPLXCN Cloud inversion Slovenia by Chris R, on Flickr

c) Same day walking back on the other side of Lake Bohinj, about the most comprehensive set of crepuscular rays I've seen yet! But no real focal point, perhaps.

1909HPLXCN Crepuscular Bohinj Slovenia by Chris R, on Flickr

All Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70 2.8-3.5, Portra 400

A couple of other interpretations of weather and its effects from me.

#1 Major upheaval in Stonehaven to install a flood prevention scheme as the town is very prone to flooding, even on the relatively dry east coast.

000094480027.jpg

#2 Coastal erosion by wind-driven tides on a north-facing Moray Firth beach

000081260006-copy-flickr-copy-tp.jpg

c) Same day walking back on the other side of Lake Bohinj, about the most comprehensive set of crepuscular rays I've seen yet! But no real focal point, perhaps.

1909HPLXCN Crepuscular Bohinj Slovenia by Chris R, on Flickr

All Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70 2.8-3.5, Portra 400

Love this Chris, beautiful skies and rays but as you say, it's really crying out for a focal point.

Love this Chris, beautiful skies and rays but as you say, it's really crying out for a focal point.
A little white sailing boat would do nicely! Thanks Nick.

I took a number of staged shots for the "Garden" theme in September, but the film was still in the camera at the closing date, so I had to choose something else. This was the best of them...

1910BPMXBW Garden FP4 by Chris R, on Flickr

FP4+ in the Pentax MX, not sure which lens. Devved by Filmdev so XTOL, but sadly I chose the small scans so they are ridiculously small, as I've mentioned elsewhere. I know I ought to rescan them, but...

This theme was another take of an approach I'd taken with the Bessa R3A and the M-Rokkor 40/2 back in 2015, for the then POTY ( think the theme might have been "Animal"... so, the snail!). Not sure if it will show up so well here, but I think I prefer the earlier version...

1505EVB3BW35 Garden Tri-X by Chris R, on Flickr

Last edited:
First one definitely a better shot for me than the one you posted Nige, but it's choosing the one that others will like that I find the hard bit! :thinking:

EDIT: just realised that these are real reflections in the second shot, so that really makes me appreciate it more, especially the middle 2 on the bottom row with the sandwich board sign and the legs. Maybe some cropping would improve the overall effect?

Last edited:
First one definitely a better shot for me than the one you posted Nige, but it's choosing the one that others will like that I find the hard bit! :thinking:

EDIT: just realised that these are real reflections in the second shot, so that really makes me appreciate it more, especially the middle 2 on the bottom row with the sandwich board sign and the legs. Maybe some cropping would improve the overall effect?

Thanks Peter. I agree - both of these would have been a better choice. I think I went with my actual entry as a bit of a left-field choice knowing I wasn't able to win the overall comp in any case, so I thought "what the heck, may as well try something different". :)

My alternative shots were both taken with the Chroma on Fomapan 100. First, the same scene as the X-Pro one:

1912LF01.jpg

And the second, also in Kenilworth Castle:

1912LF02.jpg

Second one didn't quite work, and for the first I felt the light was better in the X-Pro version.

2 alternatives on my original idea for Openings. Nikon F80, 35-70 f2.8, Gold 200 via Filmdev.

View attachment 268303

View attachment 268304

I like the first one more than the second, I think the first is a little too conventional. I think I actually prefer it to your entry.

This was my other possible entry. I thought it was a little dark in the end though.

Pentax Espio 140M
Kentmere 400

FILM - In front of an opening

Yeah I think its probably just a little too dark.

Another take on my entry, I preferred this (I think) but its a bit mushy.

Carnation buds by Steven, on Flickr

Well I'm probably narrow minded in my view but to me even if a shot is technically excellent etc... all flower shots should be in colour, well for humans as some insects (e.g. bees) see them in UV etc o_O:rolleyes:

Well I'm probably narrow minded in my view but to me even if a shot is technically excellent etc... all flower shots should be in colour, well for humans as some insects (e.g. bees) see them in UV etc o_O:rolleyes:

Flower shots benefit from colour for obvious reasons, but I think black and white allows you to better appreciate the structure of flowers. Textures and component parts oftem make themselves much more apparent when the colour has been removed.

Back