flickr clamping down

Who the hell needs to put a photo into more than 60 groups? I don't think I've ever put one into more than 15.

[paid up Flickr member since 2006]

Not sure that I'd ever want to pay to post on Flickr. Why would you? I don't need storage, I can do that myself. Yes, it's a good interchange with like-minded others, but how important is that? It's not the hinge of the universe.

But it's not a charity so it needs a business model. No surprise there.

Things will die and things will be born. If you burn to share your photographs, rather than just to sell them, that can be done within your own community. Print them, show them. Yes, it takes effort. Are you lazy? Get off your arse.

For sharing in the internet arena, check out Ipernity - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipernity

Last edited:
Id like to see Flickr becoming more useful - it was my go to place for putting photos and sharing them. Missed the opportunity to show off great photos and do a 500px

If you don't like what Flikr is doing, then it's best to move on and support someone else.

I find Flikr OK but not great. But if they are dominant in the market, they can and are doing just what they want. It's never good for anyone to stick to the dominant players.
Supporting the others will not only help them improve, but it will put pressure on Flikr to keep people happy too.

And if you think there are no others that can compete? Well, now you see what happens to your choice, when to you support outfits like Flikr, Google, Microsoft, Adobe and Facebook.

If you don't like what Flikr is doing, then it's best to move on and support someone else.

I find Flikr OK but not great. But if they are dominant in the market, they can and are doing just what they want. It's never good for anyone to stick to the dominant players.
Supporting the others will not only help them improve, but it will put pressure on Flikr to keep people happy too.

And if you think there are no others that can compete? Well, now you see what happens to your choice, when to you support outfits like Flikr, Google, Microsoft, Adobe and Facebook.

....And yet Talk Photography don't support others for members posting images here. Only Flickr as far as I know < Is that correct?

The features I like very much about Flickr are the photostream, album structure, and (when a photographer isn't paranoic about showing it) the camera metadata.

If someone doesn't like posting in groups then simply don't do so - There is no need to bitch about it.

I still really like flickr and its a great place for sharing photos. I love the information you get on what people are using as well. It seems to no longer be a weapon of choice for people which is what worries me. I'll still fly the flag for it though

....And yet Talk Photography don't support others for members posting images here. Only Flickr as far as I know < Is that correct?
Good point. If that's the case then TP isn't helping.

Nothing to do with TP, Members can host their pics here or anywhere else for that matter. Flickr gives a convenient BBCode link which is just copied and pasted into a forum post (any BBcode forum, not just this one) that displays an image. It's a Flickr feature that makes it very handy for sharing pics.

Nothing to do with TP, Members can host their pics here or anywhere else for that matter. Flickr gives a convenient BBCode link which is just copied and pasted into a forum post (any BBcode forum, not just this one) that displays an image. It's a Flickr feature that makes it very handy for sharing pics.
True. But they make it 'harder' to get the direct jpeg link. They give you an easier way to post links to the whole Flikr website. They do it for their benefit.

If you're not going to use the most of Flickr's features, why use it at all, I mean if you just want hosting and direct links, what's the point.

I find it real easy/quick to "use up" my "30 groups max per image" now!...I typically "load up" 6 images at a time on Flickr.
I guess it depends what "subjects" you have an interest in?!
Im into UK Wildlife/Reptiles/Butterflies/Dragonflies/Birds/Bugs etc...Also Close up/Macro photography.
I belong to well over a 100 groups, so to take, say, one of my Butterfly images for example...That image can be in any number of appropriate groups.

I dont "Tag" any of my images...I dont have that many "Followers"...Ive never had one of my images "Explored" (in over 5 years)......So i just "Whack" my images into a fair number of Flickr groups.

Incidentally...Ive only just found the Talk photography group on Flickr...so forgive me for "whoring" my images in that group of late!! :whistle:

Incidentally...Ive only just found the Talk photography group on Flickr...so forgive me for "whoring" my images in that group of late!! :whistle:

....I didn't know it existed. I'll check it out and see if I want to apply to join or not.

....I didn't know it existed. I'll check it out and see if I want to apply to join or not.

Its pretty straight forward to join(no need to actually apply as such).

Gotta warn ya though...you might "accidentally" lose your "Flickr Pawn(Yeah, i spelt pawn like that on purpose!) Cherry"!!! ;)
Nah, you'll be alright...just dont view a certain womans album...via her photostream...via her recent image in the Group. :whistle:
I wasnt looking for it...i just kinda stumbled on it...like ya do!.....................I'd call it "mild pawn" myself...others may view it on another level?

Linky to the kinky please ,now you got us interested :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you're not going to use the most of Flickr's features, why use it at all, I mean if you just want hosting and direct links, what's the point.
To host pictures. Why not? I had a yahoo account already.

Last edited:
Linky to the kinky please ,now you got us interested :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Telling/linking you, is just too easy...wheres the fun in that?! ;)
Ive already given you a couple of clues!...Its a female/Shes posted up a recent image(oh, and another one now too!)

"Blind Freddy" could find it...Im sure you could too...with very little effort involved :whistle:

To host pictures. Why not? I had a yahoo account already.

I dunno, I don't use it so I dunno what you're all moaning about really.
Its just another flickr whinge-a-thon thread blocking the internet up to me..:)

Telling/linking you, is just too easy...wheres the fun in that?! ;)
Ive already given you a couple of clues!...Its a female/Shes posted up a recent image(oh, and another one now too!)

"Blind Freddy" could find it...Im sure you could too...with very little effort involved :whistle:
found the airport .looks like a interesting place to visit :exit::exit:

True. But they make it 'harder' to get the direct jpeg link. They give you an easier way to post links to the whole Flikr website. They do it for their benefit.

That would also be because it forms part of their Terms of Service (‘Community Guidelines’) which you agreed to when you signed up for Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/help/guidelines

• Link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites. Pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr. This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer.

Their sharing mechanism makes it easy for you to comply with this.

Arguably, if you don’t like it, other services are available to you

Last edited:
That would also be because it forms part of their Terms of Service (‘Community Guidelines’) which you agreed to when you signed up for Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/help/guidelines

Their sharing mechanism makes it easy for you to comply with this.

Arguably, if you don’t like it, other services are available to you
Well I'm glad someone is reading their 'Terms of Service'. "Where would we be if we didn't follow the correct procedures" (Sam Lowry. Brazil)

And yes, if you don't like something about Flikr, it's good for everyone if you try somewhere else. Support the smaller guy who will be happy to have more users, and thus will be offering more agreeable options. The more people that leave Flikr, the more likely it is that Flikr will need to offer something better to us.

Last edited:
I stopped using Flickr because of their lax attitude to photo theft.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I stopped using Flickr because of their lax attitude to photo theft.
I find that great as it then allows me to sue the thief’s through pixys.com .quids in :banana::banana::banana::banana:

found the airport .looks like a interesting place to visit :exit::exit:

Well done...dont spend too much time in the "Duty Free" shop though ;)

Strangely enough...call it a coincidence if you like????????...................But i just had to block several (5 of the biatches) "Flickr Names", because one of them mentioned me(my name) on their "new Flickr account". They seemed to be all linked up with each other...I think it was just a "Blanket" word association thing? and since my name has "Man" in it, i got roped into the game. Having had a quick check, 100's of other Flickr accounts with the word "man" in, where also included...along with any other word/name too?!

Got to say, over the last couple of months, ive had some weird stuff happen on Flickr...I guess its just "Spam" (with sexual undertones).

Anyone else getting this stuff?...or is it just me?

I have an image of a bird in light, a Booby no less. It's titled "Booby", and it gets hits every day.... (It's not a particularly good shot either!!)
To be honest, just search wife with safe search off and...

Do you call it that because of the stuff you view on there?

....Very good! :LOL: :clap: :LOL:

However, I rarely visit it and only post something there occasionally.

Uuurrgggggghhhhhh that’s gross

Back