Fuji 690, anyone used one?

i.e the 90mm version probably. A bit of street/ portraiture/ location people shoots?

This is mainly what I'm going to be using mine for, that and a bit of architecture, however I'm currently going through my final exams for uni so I havent been able to put anything more than a test roll through it yet.

This is mainly what I'm going to be using mine for, that and a bit of architecture, however I'm currently going through my final exams for uni so I havent been able to put anything more than a test roll through it yet.

Ah best of luck Rob! Got mine in 7 weeks - feeling of impending doom hasn't kicked in yet so I'm procrastinating on TP. Look forward to your results as the fuji seems to tick my boxes! The fact that a crop... could still leave you with a 6x6 negative is ridiculous lol.

Can also be cropped top and bottom into a more panoramic style, which will also enlarge nicely, eg:

8001109132_29903a4b78_o.jpg

Mines at the post office......why oh why won't they deliver quicker.:bang:

I've got enough at the moment and have just been told there's a customs charge form on my desk at work for the GA645 I've bought :0( £38 so not the end of the world but I've always been lucky before with kit coming from overseas. Guess they had to catch up with me eventually!

Well I've just been and picked it from parcelgits (£10 Import duty and £14 admin :razz:) and its a beast of a thing. In pretty good nick cosmetically but the lens looks perfect, pics later.

I've just devved my test roll and the lens looks to be sharper than a sharp thing. Although I did manage to underexpose by a couple of stops because i forgot to account for the push from 50 to 200 in dev. The negs are sodding enormous :nuts:

Well I've just been and picked it from parcelgits (£10 Import duty and £14 admin :razz:) and its a beast of a thing. In pretty good nick cosmetically but the lens looks perfect, pics later.

£24 isnt too bad, I predicted that my import fees would be nearly £50 including Parcelfarce fees. The import on my RB came to nearly £60 which made my eyes water a bit!

Do some of these 690 rangefinders shoot other sizes like 645 as well?

I ask because I saw a pic from an eBay seller where there appears to be a switch on the camera to change between 4, 8, and 16 exposures.

Or is this to do with 120 vs 220?

Do some of these 690 rangefinders shoot other sizes like 645 as well?

I ask because I saw a pic from an eBay seller where there appears to be a switch on the camera to change between 4, 8, and 16 exposures.

Or is this to do with 120 vs 220?

Thats to do with 120 and 220 film, the 4 exposures is for short rolls of 120 made for taking group photos with so they could get them sent off to the developers ASAP

The earliest models also had an option for cut sheet film.

The Fuji GF670 allows switching between 6x7 and 6x6 - there's a two small curtains that essentially close the film gate slightly to make 6x6.

6x9 rangefinders are landscape orientation, whereas most 6x4.5 rangefinders have portrait orientation - so it wouldn't be a feasible option.

£24 for a several hundred pound camera from Japan really is nothing!

I don't mind the import duty its the admin charge they throw at you for doing next to nothing.:cautious:

Thats to do with 120 and 220 film, the 4 exposures is for short rolls of 120 made for taking group photos with so they could get them sent off to the developers ASAP

The earliest models also had an option for cut sheet film.

The Fuji GF670 allows switching between 6x7 and 6x6 - there's a two small curtains that essentially close the film gate slightly to make 6x6.

6x9 rangefinders are landscape orientation, whereas most 6x4.5 rangefinders have portrait orientation - so it wouldn't be a feasible option.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I thought it might be 120 and 220, but the 4 exposure setting threw me off a bit.

I don't mind the import duty its the admin charge they throw at you for doing next to nothing.:cautious:

The admin charge drives me crazy! I once had a situation where import duty shouldn't have been charged, but even after the duty was eventually waived, I still had to pay the admin fee...

Just to be entirely accurate, the 6x9 sheet film option was on the G690, the predecessor of the GW690 - not early models of the GW690.

Just run a quick roll of Velvia through it and so far I'm very impressed. Nice to use, very solid and thge rangefinder patch is fairly easy too focus , hopefully.......we'll see when I get the film back.

Andy

Looks to be in good nick Andy, mine has a fair few bits of paint missing but works nicely. Going to need to be careful using T mode though as it seems to advance the film a bit before it shuts the shutter.

I'm going to try and find a slotted lens hood for it, don't want to block out too much of the rangefinder

All this Fuji love has got me hankering over a GX680.

Sadly I've run out of ££££'s

Are you insane, they weigh more than Milton Keynes, or do I mean Milton Jones........

Well here she is.

Is the reason you bought that lovely camera, because it has Professional in the title.:)

I'm thinking of taping over that bit, trade descriptions etc.:LOL:

All this Fuji love has got me hankering over a GX680.

Sadly I've run out of ££££'s

Like Andy says, they are HUGE! Mentioned elsewhere that I saw one round the back of the Castle here the other day. I couldn't believe it was "only" a 120 camera. And 4+ kg for the camera alone?

Someone here has the strapline something like "if it's more than 500 yards from the car it's not photogenic". I'd guess they have a GX680!

Like Andy says, they are HUGE! Mentioned elsewhere that I saw one round the back of the Castle here the other day. I couldn't believe it was "only" a 120 camera. And 4+ kg for the camera alone?

Someone here has the strapline something like "if it's more than 500 yards from the car it's not photogenic". I'd guess they have a GX680!

Chris, as much as I fancy it, unfortunately or should that be fortunately its out of range financially.

Just off out to buy a lottery ticket...

I notice that Ffordes have a large selection of 680's at the moment.....good luck with the lottery.(y)

Well the Fuji 680 is a BIG camera and if your looking for one Trevor then you really need to think about a MkIII version as it has the ability to use ordinary batteries, the MkI and MkII use Fuji's own which I believe are now getting tricky to replace.

Having said that watch this youtube vid of some chaps doing street photography with one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7tzo-B0kU

Well the Fuji 680 is a BIG camera and if your looking for one Trevor then you really need to think about a MkIII version as it has the ability to use ordinary batteries, the MkI and MkII use Fuji's own which I believe are now getting tricky to replace.

Having said that watch this youtube vid of some chaps doing street photography with one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7tzo-B0kU

That's extreme. Battery issue is a non issue. Found a German guy who makes and sells replacement packs and chargers.
Not cheap....165 euros

Ed Bray used to own one, I believe... some say he moved to large format for a reduction in weight :D

That's extreme. Battery issue is a non issue. Found a German guy who makes and sells replacement packs and chargers.
Not cheap....165 euros

Considering ffordes' cheapest mk1 is £499 and cheapest complete mk2 is £599... the mk2 sounds like a no brainer really.

Last edited:
On the GW690 there is the provision for shooting 4 shots on a roll of 120 film, how does that work then or am i being thick (again)? Does it produce 6 x 18 negs if so that would be fantastic if a little expensive.

Andy

On the GW690 there is the provision for shooting 4 shots on a roll of 120 film, how does that work then or am i being thick (again)? Does it produce 6 x 18 negs if so that would be fantastic if a little expensive.

In Japan, you could get short rolls of 120 film that were half the length, allowing fast developing and processing of the group shots that the camera was designed for.

It's certainly not a 6x18 camera!

Ah, that makes more sense. I couldn't see any way that the 6 x 18 would work, although it would have been brilliant if it was possible.

Quite fancy a Fuji 6x17 next :D

Behave yourself.....but now you mention it.....

Back