Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I shoot raw only. Is there a way to have the preview image on the back of the camera look more like the raw? Any magic settings? Thanks.

What does a raw look like?

You can set it to look nuetral, but otherwise you're trying to match your import preset jpg setting not the raw.

Thinking of buying the new 35mm f2 but no one is discounting them yet, they seem to be £299 everywhere even the fuji shop :(

What does a raw look like?

You can set it to look nuetral, but otherwise you're trying to match your import preset jpg setting not the raw.
The raw is considerably lighter with more detail in the shadows than the preview. I guess some selective tweaks of the jpeg settings will be required to adjust the preview image. I'll have a play. Or maybe I'm just being a fool to myself as I end up mostly trying to match the jpeg anyway. Perhaps raw+jpeg is the way to go.

The raw is considerably lighter with more detail in the shadows than the preview. I guess some selective tweaks of the jpeg settings will be required to adjust the preview image. I'll have a play. Or maybe I'm just being a fool to myself as I end up mostly trying to match the jpeg anyway. Perhaps raw+jpeg is the way to go.

Why will shooting RAW+JPG help you achieve the correct exposure, if what you are saying is that the previewed JPG on the camera screen is darker than when you import your RAW shot in to the default settings of your RAW editor?
Confused.

Use of the histogram might be more helpful, perhaps.

I'd need to check later, but I generally use Pro Neg Std with -2 highlights and -2 shadows gives an image preview that's quite neutral and shows the dynamic range of the raw the closest.

I'm puzzled by "matching the raw" as you can't see the raw, you only ever see a jpg of the raw based on settings you've either chosen or allowed to default.

It's just me and my cackhanded workflow relying on the back screen to judge exposure with flash :)

That and not being able to explain myself properly.

Damien Lovegrove uses settings on the X-T1 to try and show what his RAW files will look like when imported. Presuming this is the what you are trying to achieve it may be worth a try.

http://www.prophotonut.com/2015/06/02/fuji-x-t1-settings/

This was an interesting line from the article:

The jpeg image that is saved embedded in the RAW file on a Fuji camera is just 50% in size and that means when shooting RAW only the playback is limited to a 50% view. This isn’t enough so I end up shooting large fine jpegs too just to get a decent image to review in camera

Yes, it's always been a niggle with the Fuji's for me. I shoot RAW and jpeg purely so that I can zoom in on screen to check focus. Then only import the RAW files

Thinking of buying the new 35mm f2 but no one is discounting them yet, they seem to be £299 everywhere even the fuji shop :(
I doubt it will come down much it's already great value, was quite happy to pay full price worth every penny imho

Damien Lovegrove uses settings on the X-T1 to try and show what his RAW files will look like when imported. Presuming this is the what you are trying to achieve it may be worth a try.

http://www.prophotonut.com/2015/06/02/fuji-x-t1-settings/

@dlh Damian Lovegrove did a video on this and what he sets his JPG in camera processing to so it looks as close as possible to the RAW. Worth a search on YouTube mate.
Thanks to the both of you. My evening's viewing and reading is now sorted :)

We're tearing our hair out trying to find an answer as to how to update Sarah's X-E2 with the latest firmware. It is already on v3.0 and we've download the latest v4.0 software to a freshly in camera formatted card. We've tried downloading via Mac and Windows and tried more than one card but still no luck. We've also made sure that file name is correct - FWUP0004.DAT. Each time we get the message "New firmware not be found. Turn off camera."

See also my thread - http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/new-firmware-not-be-found.51818/

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted. Many thanks.
Many thanks for the support to the above post a few pages back.

I thought I'd come back to give an update on the problem which even the Fujifilm support people couldn't properly advise on remotely. In the end we took the X-E2 into our local camera shop (great shout out to Dale Photographic in Leeds, UK) who returned it to Fujifilm. We got it back about 10 days later having been fixed and with a health check done free of charge. Fujifilm didn't say how they'd fixed it but as all the settings were back to the defaults I guess they may have had to reinstall the firmware from scratch. My wife is now happily reunited with an up to date X-E2 :)

These have come out beautifully! Are these the in-camera presets or from Lightroom?
Thanks!
Presets from Lightroom. I used the raw files and the "Draco" preset from "Film Speck One - B&W".

Here is a before/after comparison of one of the photos:
140fe6l.jpg

Many thanks for the support to the above post a few pages back.

I thought I'd come back to give an update on the problem which even the Fujifilm support people couldn't properly advise on remotely. In the end we took the X-E2 into our local camera shop (great shout out to Dale Photographic in Leeds, UK) who returned it to Fujifilm. We got it back about 10 days later having been fixed and with a health check done free of charge. Fujifilm didn't say how they'd fixed it but as all the settings were back to the defaults I guess they may have had to reinstall the firmware from scratch. My wife is now happily reunited with an up to date X-E2 :)
Yep, Dale are great, they know their stuff, they don't assume one way or another your skill level and will try to help diagnose there and then if they can. If only some of the chains could have that level of expertise more people could benefit from the value of having a decent local shop instead of just resorting to pitting faceless websites against each other on price alone.

Agree with above, I have them too, and have just ordered two more direct from ExPro. Weird the don't do them in NP95 for my x100s

Just joined the XE-2 club. Picked up a lovely, lightly used one off eBay for a song. Great second to my X-T1, will be fun shooting with it no doubt. :)

I saw that shame it's got X-E1 engraved on it.

Back