The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Stunning detail, great lighting. I think it's a black beetle, but there's probably 1000 varieties :D

Thank you kindly Sir, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Being a bloke and lazy save me the bother of looking through my manual :) can or how do I edit my Q menu on the xt1?

Andrew

I have spent more on filters than I care to consider. Hopefully once you've sold the 60mm Macro you'll have some more money in the pot.

It really depends on how much you will use them, as to the justification of cost. My preference for full NDs is screw in (and polariser) but to use slot system for grads. I happily combine the two screwing in my grad holder into the outside of the NDs when required.

I've settled on 72mm for the screw ins and use step rings where required 52-72, 58-72, 62-72 and 67-72, this will accomodate most of the lenses, but does not work on the 16-55 (77mm filter thread) and probably won't work on the 8-16 if rumoured to be true. I'm unlikely to buy the 16-55, so at this stage I'm not worried.

My preferred NDs are Hitech Firecrest, which are very neutral but not very cheap!! The Firecrest Grads are an expensive luxury that I haven't yet succumbed to!! I use the Hitech 85mm system and have a set of resin grads in hard and soft, and just to complete the set a Hitech Firecrest polariser.

The Hoya Pro NDs are also good, and very good value for money.

But at £100 you will be struggling to get quality for the quantity of filters that you want. I would (while funds are limited) go for just the NDs and a polariser at this stage, you can replicate the grad effects in post processing, but it doesn't allow you to balance the scene fully, but bracketing shots will help.

£100, should see you with a Hoya Pro ND 2 stop and 4 stop and a Polariser, though I would suggest going for 3 and 6 stops respectively and the polariser.

Hope that helps

I've just found some some 52mm and 62mm filters so all is not lost. 62mm 8ND, 4ND and a cr-pl. then a cr-pl 52mm. Getting a step up ring solves some of the lens config issues and won't cost the earth.

That leaves the budget for just a holder and a single grad filter, much better for my limited current budget but once started down this route I can add to it as and when.

Still no idea where the kits gone though!!

Hi Terry

If it helps, I can give you my perspective as a Nikon D800 owner who has recently acquired an X-T2. I have the luxury of being able to afford to own both cameras at the same time, whereas I appreciate that for many it is a choice as to whether to have one or the other…

I am a ‘Nikonian’ of long-standing and have built up a decent collection of lenses over the years, mostly acquired used, and now have a range that really suit my preferred styles of photography. So I have the 14-24 (for astral), the 16-35 (for filters/general landscape), the 24-70 fantastic all-rounder, and the 70-200. Put all that glass into a bag, along with the D800 and even my CF tripod, and it’s no wonder I have back problems!

My job involves a little bit of travel around the UK, so I’ve been looking for a more portable solution to the D800, something with a smaller form factor. I tried the Sony RX100 M3 – a great wee camera but it was actually too small and fiddly and I wasn’t impressed with the quality of its RAW output. So I sold it. I had previously bought and later sold a Fuji X100S from the TP classifieds – I liked the camera but found its fixed focal length too restrictive for my tastes.

Last year, having been impressed with a lot of the images I’d seen coming from the X-T1 and X-T10 family here, and also having seen the output possible from a local photographer here in NI using the X-T10 – I went and bought the X-T10/18-55mm kit from the Fuji refurb store last March – at the superb price of £545 (after the 10% discount). I liked this camera a lot and was impressed with the quality of its images. I particularly liked that it was relatively portable (compared to the D800) – I could easily pack it plus lens plus travel tripod into an overnight carry-on suitcase for my travels. I got carried away at one point though (maybe too much wine some night) and convinced myself that I needed a Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens for landscape and astral work – I didn’t of course – I still have the D800 and 14-24 for that!

Much as I was impressed with the X-T10, there wasn’t enough there (in terms of ergonomics and image size in particular) to make me seriously consider giving up on the Nikon. And the D800 was still my first choice for my landscape photography where weight (and carrying distance) weren’t an issue.

When the X-T2 appeared on the scene, and I read the various reviews, I got as far as getting a price for all my Nikon gear from both Mifsuds and MPB, but still couldn’t make that leap of faith (and I know others have). So I convinced myself that I could afford to acquire the X-T2 without giving up the Nikon. My reasoning was helped by the fact that there was a very generous trade-in bonus of £100 being offered on the X-T2, plus Jessops were prepared to discount the RRP by 5%. So I got £326 for my X-T10 body and I sold the 18-55 separately for £270 (so I effectively made money on them after 10 months of ownership! I also sold the 14mm lens and bought the 16-55mm (taking advantage of the double cashback at the time that gave me a £250 rebate).

It’s still early days yet but so far I absolutely love the X-T2/16-55mm combo. It’s still relatively portable (albeit the 16-55 is much bigger/heavier than the 18-55mm and the latter is still a great lens), I am not going to buy any more glass for it until I decide if it’s going to remain my ‘travel camera’ or it is to become my new go-to system. I do need to see how it performs for me with astral stuff – I don’t do that much of it but the Nikon and 14-24 excel at it. But I am already much more comfortable with it than I was with the X-T10 – the handling suits me much better, I’m happier knowing that it’s giving me 24mp files to play with, the physical ISO and metering controls are great, as it the little focus nubbin.

I’m off to Barcelona for a short break next week and will be taking only the X-T2 and 16-55mm with me. I can’t rule out the possibility that I will be going back to Mifsuds and MPB in the future looking for an updated price for my Nikon gear!

Many thanks Psybear for taking the time with such an exhaustive reply.

I had the X-T1 last year (which I sold my Nikon D700 and lenses for) and was happy until I compared 2 shots between my X-T1 and a friend's D750.

So I bought the D750 (at a great price from PC World) and sold the X-T1 stuff on here.

So here I am thinking about a change again. Will I miss the utterly superb output from the Nikon?
No idea.

Do I miss the EVF and the colours from the Fuji?
Most definately yes.

Enough to lose the D70 kit permanently (or at least losing some money if I go back to it)?
Not sure - it would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Anyway I've got some thinking to do.

I had the X-T1 last year (which I sold my Nikon D700 and lenses for) and was happy until I compared 2 shots between my X-T1 and a friend's D750.

So I bought the D750 (at a great price from PC World) and sold the X-T1 stuff on here.

So here I am thinking about a change again. Will I miss the utterly superb output from the Nikon?
No idea.

Most definately yes.

Enough to lose the D70 kit permanently (or at least losing some money if I go back to it)?

I had two Nikon FF body, the D700 and D3. I sold the D700 and bought the XT1. I shoot with the Fuji more then the D3 these days. Can't say it will be the same for D750. the main purpose for me to buy the Fuji is the weight, size and quality. I can take the Fuji with me everywhere and it will give me good image quality. The big Nikon sometimes get left at home because I can't be bother taking it out.

I imagine this has been asked before but has anyone gone from FF Nikon to X-T2 and regretted it?

Or done it and thought it was the right decision?

Talk to me.
I moved over to Fuji X from Nikon FX and for what subjects I shoot these days I'm more than impressed even after my D810 :fuji:but also :nikon:&:canon:

Panasonic has officially announced the organic sensor today. Will this mean we'll be seeing a organic x camera sooner than we thought or are we still years off?

No idea.

Most definately yes.

What I hope to do, when I have the time and opportunity to do so, is to take some images with both the Nikon & Fuji, using the same settings and composition. Then do my usual PP and compare the results. Then I might be able to make my own mind up about the way forward!

No idea.

Most definately yes.

What was it that you liked from the Nikon when you compared? The deciding difference for me is just the sensor size. Comparing FF to crop equivalent I prefer the FF results. So if that's what you saw, nothing has changed with the X-T2. The main differences from the X-T1 to the X-T2 for me are all about the handling really.

What was it that you liked from the Nikon when you compared? The deciding difference for me is just the sensor size. Comparing FF to crop equivalent I prefer the FF results. So if that's what you saw, nothing has changed with the X-T2. The main differences from the X-T1 to the X-T2 for me are all about the handling really.

I must admit I pixel peeped and as there was a slight improvement I went for the D750.

I didn't like the fact that the XT1's AF couldn't keep up with cars on the hill climb near us whereas the D700 handled it easily.

From what I've read and heard the XT2's AF is far better.

Maybe I'm just bored?

I must admit I pixel peeped and as there was a slight improvement I went for the D750.

I didn't like the fact that the XT1's AF couldn't keep up with cars on the hill climb near us whereas the D700 handled it easily.

From what I've read and heard the XT2's AF is far better.

Maybe I'm just bored?

Could just be an itch :D

Odd you had issues at a hill climb, I've used mine at Prescott a lot. Also at Castle Combe and not had any major AF issues. The EVF blackout is the most annoying thing to be honest.

A pair of lovely images guys. Worth getting up for no doubt about it!

Thanks Ian

Gorgeous.

Thanks Brian very kind of you.

"Cracking" shot Sir, really like all the misty tones.(y)

"Not sure about the drop shadow effect but that's purely just a personal thing. Still a "Cracking" shot":)

George.

Cheers George, must admit I quite like the drop shadowbox like you said each to there own.

Great shot, love your work. (y)

Thanks Peter very kind of you to say so.

I imagine this has been asked before but has anyone gone from FF Nikon to X-T2 and regretted it?

Or done it and thought it was the right decision?

Talk to me.

Terry I went from a D810 & a D500 to the XT-2 last year, main reason was an age problem with my wrist and the doctor advised me that it would be a good idea to lighten the gear.
I do miss some things from the Nikon, the D810 files although rather big are so flexible in pp.
The outstanding AF of the D500 although I not doing hardly any sport these days so this is not so much of a factor for me now. Not saying that the XT-2 is awful by a long way, as @G.K.Jnr. as already mentioned is company has now switched to Fuji XT-2 so that goes to prove how capable it is. But imho the D500 especially on lock on speed is quite a bit better.

The EVF is a plus and a minus for me, love the ability to see what you get before you shoot but in high contrast scenes I do miss the viewfinder at times.

Love the portability of the Fuji and for me its more fun to use.

If it's confessional time, I went from a D800e to the XT1 which was unplanned, but I can honestly say I have no interest in having a DSLR again, too big and clinical. Fuji makes photography enjoyable.

The EVF blackout is the most annoying thing to be honest.

:plus1: but at least the X-T2 hasn't got the weird AF-C continuous hunting "quirk"!

After having a D800 for about 12 months and shooting around 500 shots on it, I was offered a basic X-Pro1 kit as a straight swap - body, 18, 60 and 18-55 for the D800 body only. Since I still had the D700 as an FF option should I want/need it, I went for the deal and in less than a month had shot way more than the 500 shots! While the shots don't have quite the ultimate quality when pixel peeped (IMO one of the worst things about digital photography!!!), I got a much higher percentage of keepers from the X-Pro1. When the X-T1 was first around as a pre-production sample with reps, I had a fondle and a brief play and was an earlyish adopter of the SLR styled Fujis. Liked it so much that I went for the X-T2 as well! Got most bases covered now and have 10mm up to 800mm in 3 lenses (and a couple of teleconverters!) all in a bag I can carry fairly comfortably - NOT something that could be said for the Nikon kit... Still like the results and handling of the D700 and D750 but not so much the bulk.

:plus1: but at least the X-T2 hasn't got the weird AF-C continuous hunting "quirk"!

After having a D800 for about 12 months and shooting around 500 shots on it, I was offered a basic X-Pro1 kit as a straight swap - body, 18, 60 and 18-55 for the D800 body only. Since I still had the D700 as an FF option should I want/need it, I went for the deal and in less than a month had shot way more than the 500 shots! While the shots don't have quite the ultimate quality when pixel peeped (IMO one of the worst things about digital photography!!!), I got a much higher percentage of keepers from the X-Pro1. When the X-T1 was first around as a pre-production sample with reps, I had a fondle and a brief play and was an earlyish adopter of the SLR styled Fujis. Liked it so much that I went for the X-T2 as well! Got most bases covered now and have 10mm up to 800mm in 3 lenses (and a couple of teleconverters!) all in a bag I can carry fairly comfortably - NOT something that could be said for the Nikon kit... Still like the results and handling of the D700 and D750 but not so much the bulk.

Yeah, the AF-C focus breathing is odd. Although I just learnt to ignore it, shots were invariably in focus. The quicker acquisition and more normal behaviour in this regard of the X-T2 is another plus :D

When I say I prefer FF over crop, is not from pixel peeping (that's not something I engage in) it's how the lenses deliver an image. I just prefer how a 35mm f1.4 lens looks over a 23mm f1.4 lens for example.

Now I have a 5D sized body instead of only a 1D sized body I had before, I'm not finding the choice of which camera to pick up as straightforward...

That's a couple of posts now that refer to DSLR's producing a more clinical output, which is odd when reviews of Fuji lenses quite often refer to a clinical (sharp) output. Photography is an odd game for sure :D

That's a couple of posts now that refer to DSLR's producing a more clinical output, which is odd when reviews of Fuji lenses quite often refer to a clinical (sharp) output. Photography is an odd game for sure :D

The Fuji lenses are brilliant from wide open. But the actual output from a Bayer full frame sensor is crisper when pixel peeping in my experience (X trans I and ii). I've got a Bayer x-a2 now too, so when I get a chance I'll compare again to check whether it's the full frameness or bayerness which provides that look.

I don't tend to peep so much now anyway, which I think has also aided my photography. It's more about the moment now (to me) than the technical perfection.

I am guilty of pixel peeping.
Which is crazy as printing up to normal frame sizes for the wall I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
I gone for xt1 simply for portability, light weight and quality. I don't use zoom on my fuji because i want to go back to the basic with prime. Funny enough, all the shot i took on my fuji and nikon d3. I like the fuji shots because those shots makes me think what i want before i even compose the shot. The d3 with zoom is too big and it also makes me lazy as well.

I mich enjoy shooting with fuji.

Last edited:
I havent, though i've been wondering lately if there's a mains adapter for startrail/timelapse sessions.... This could be the answer, being more portable and all....

I havent, though i've been wondering lately if there's a mains adapter for startrail/timelapse sessions.... This could be the answer, being more portable and all....

Yes I have used quantum battery packs in the past and searched for a lead to be able to power my Fuji X bodies but to no avail I just thought that after 5 years since launch of Fuji X pro 1 someone would be offering a battery pack by where you could insert a dummy battery with a power pack attached ?
Anyway I have ordered one and will leave feedback / review on it once it arrives and I get chance to test it out :)

I really do love my xt1. it feels just right for me I feel very at home with it and feel liberated from the bulk of the DSLR and the drudgery of raw files. If this was the old film days I think I would have found my camera for life but of course it's not and I will be tempted by newer sensor technology no doubt.

Quite a tight crop on this, hence the quality not the best, but I still like it. X-T2 and 16-55mm (at 55mm).

Scrabo from Cave Hill by Brian M, on Flickr
Brian.......Stop it stop it..........These images you produce are magnificent to be honest......!!

Regards; Peter

I really do love my xt1. it feels just right for me I feel very at home with it and feel liberated from the bulk of the DSLR and the drudgery of raw files. If this was the old film days I think I would have found my camera for life but of course it's not and I will be tempted by newer sensor technology no doubt.

Same here.

I guess nobody really likes bird shots on here anymore? I must get shooting some landscape ... :ROFLMAO:

I like street shots these days to capture the moment or story behind it. Since I have a baby I'm quite limited where I go ......

Street stuff is fun.

Back