Fuji x100

No, I cant view the video, its says it is private!
Looks like a worthy upgrade, and at last, manual focus with a split image screen and the optical low pass filter junked...

Allan

If it just speeded up the A/F it would be fine. I thought the X100 was supposed to be a fairly gimmick free camera, they will probably add special scene modes and the old favourite, miniaturisation... :(

Allan

Aha!

Allan

Went for another look at the x100s and I'm getting "Sorry, there is no translation for this news-article." off the fuji site now :shrug: I think they have removed it :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick test using x100 at f11 1/8 iso 3200 and e-m5 panny 20mm f1.7 f11 1/5 iso 3200. Make your own mind up with these. All shot raw and converted to jpg using aperture, no pp apart from the conversion to jpg and cropping. What do you think is better? I will say the fuji lens is better than the panny though.

Testing 1 (1) by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Testing 2 (1) by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Crops.

Testing 1 by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Testing 2 by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Thanks for the quick test, its difficult to tell as I can't see them any bigger than you've posted them up, you've set them as private?? The first picture appears to be better from what i can tell so I would think it is the X100, am I wrong?

Yes it's been removed, but Fuji rumors site grabbed it first:

http://www.fujirumors.com/fuji-disa...s-release-so-here-is-the-full-copied-version/

I guess someone was a little too quick to publish the content before tomorrow release :)
haha nothing is sacred anymore.

Thanks for the quick test, its difficult to tell as I can't see them any bigger than you've posted them up, you've set them as private?? The first picture appears to be better from what i can tell so I would think it is the X100, am I wrong?
Yes you are quite right the first is the x100 and looking at them like this I have to agree with you, In fact there is very little between them apart from the olly focused straight away whereas the fuji didn't.:bonk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have at last managed to get myself the wide angle adapter lens for the X100 and am absolutely delighted with it.

I have only had a chance to try it indoors but so far image quality looks to be as good as using the standard lens.

What REALLY impresses me is the build quality and the fact that the lens does not look like an attachment when its on the camera - just looks like an X100 with a different lens.

I'm hoping the weather is good enough to get out this weekend and try it out properly.

If only Fuji would make a similar converter to extend the lens to a 50mm F2 but I guess that will never happen given the XE-1 etc have been released :(

daveproctor said:
I have at last managed to get myself the wide angle adapter lens for the X100 and am absolutely delighted with it.

I have only had a chance to try it indoors but so far image quality looks to be as good as using the standard lens.

What REALLY impresses me is the build quality and the fact that the lens does not look like an attachment when its on the camera - just looks like an X100 with a different lens.

I'm hoping the weather is good enough to get out this weekend and try it out properly.

If only Fuji would make a similar converter to extend the lens to a 50mm F2 but I guess that will never happen given the XE-1 etc have been released :(

I've read it wouldn't be possible to make a teleconverter whilst retaining the f2 aperture - you lose too much light.

Just bought the black limited edition. Love the camera and image quality, but thinking of selling due to the af.

Just bought the black limited edition. Love the camera and image quality, but thinking of selling due to the af.

Yatesy -

What firmware are you using?

What focus mode are you using?

Latest firmware (1.3)
AF-S, centre point, focus-recompose

As a carry round compact, its ok. Just not great for capturing the kids!

Have a play with AF-C if you're shooting a moving subject. Its not something i have a lot of experience with, but have read that AF-C may help. Let us know how you get on.

Don't wait for focus confirmation. Just mash the shutter, you'll be surprised how many keepers you get.

trevorbray said:
Don't wait for focus confirmation. Just mash the shutter, you'll be surprised how many keepers you get.

Its one of the trick on the X100 , first time i tried it i wad amazed and confused at the same time but i tried it on cyclist and it worked every time :)

This does work well but, unfortunately, not in the macro mode which is the one I use most for photos of my kids

David

Using macro mode is your problem right there! It's meant for close ups and objects. It's gonna hunt for a lot longer! Take it off, I'm sure you don't need to be that close to the kids?

Stevenuth said:
Using macro mode is your problem right there! It's meant for close ups and objects. It's gonna hunt for a lot longer! Take it off, I'm sure you don't need to be that close to the kids?

Macro for kids photo ???

That's the problem with kids - they tend to not stay still for very long and often come in close to investigate whatever shiny gadget you're holding.

I keep coming back to this thread wondering whether it is time to get mine back out of the box and give up trying to sell it! So much positive stuff on here; maybe I am missing the trick!

Spooky said:
I keep coming back to this thread wondering whether it is time to get mine back out of the box and give up trying to sell it! So much positive stuff on here; maybe I am missing the trick!

Give it another chance, you never know. You might love it !!

If your camera is sitting there then what can you loose, get yourself out in the snow and see how you get on :cool:

Fuji are making waves across the entire camera market with cameras that are bringing back the love of taking pictures using tactile dials and aperture rings. Coupled with the Fuji colour palette and pin sharp lenses they are the closest thing to taking a picture by blinking.....in my honest opinion. Nikon and canon had better pay attention!

If your camera is sitting there then what can you loose, get yourself out in the snow and see how you get on :cool:

Already thinking about that. Have unpackaged the camera and am heading out into the wildness.

My fave settings for fun:
f2 auto shutter and auto ISO
Fn button programmed to switch between velvia film mode and b&w
GO have fun!

As a bit of an update...now i've got my head round the camera's 'quirks' there is no way i would sell it.
Yes, close up focus still sucks...but i love using it more than any other camera i own, and the results are beautiful.

Oooh, I like shot A a lot (and the alternative use of letters to identify pictures!). Have you tried cropping just to the left of the big tree and getting in tight on it and the birds - could look stunning.

I don't use my x100 enough and tend to get the x-pro1 as a default choice but whenever I use it the pics look great.

Not really done much in the way of pp-ing these as am still trying to love the camera! I see what you mean about the crop though - thanks for your thoughts.

I love the expression on mum's face :) That's my fave! I really like A but feel it has too much white space on the right and so the tree feels like it should be a bit more to the right to balance it.

Your right, there are some superb shots on this thread. Unfortunately, I just sold my X100 too. Mr Taxman decided we needed to pay more tax even though we made a loss again this year. The sale of the camera just covered it!
But, I have been promised a new camera ( Mrs A did actually say she would buy me an upgrade to a better model in April) so that means an X Pro 1 or X100s. I think I like the look of the S.
Roll on April
Allan

Back