Fujifilm X-H1

Just got hold of an XH1...Anyone else find the touch screen a bit of a pain? accidentally activating functions and what have you. (Have switched mine off for now.)

I’ve never even tried to set mine up, I don’t even use the screen for chimping etc.(y)

George.

Just got hold of an XH1...Anyone else find the touch screen a bit of a pain? accidentally activating functions and what have you. (Have switched mine off for now.)
It’s the worst thing of this camera. The work of the devil. Mine is permanently switched off.

Hi X-H1 users

What's the real story with battery life for the X-H1 for stills photography? Are you using the older non-'S' batteries OK?

Thanks
Lee

They work perfectly well, but having said that I don’t use the camera for video so I can’t comment on that side of things.(y)

George.

Yep, switched it off.
It’s the worst thing of this camera. The work of the devil. Mine is permanently switched off.

Never had a problem with switching mine on automatically, most be in a minority here but I do like the touch screen.
Had a feeling you can set the touch bit up to only use part of the screen don't know if that would help? But there again if you dont miss it makes sense to switch off like you have.

Never had a problem with switching mine on automatically, most be in a minority here but I do like the touch screen.
Had a feeling you can set the touch bit up to only use part of the screen don't know if that would help? But there again if you dont miss it makes sense to switch off like you have.
I can see that it could be useful (Focusing video?) But I'm just getting used to the camera (Also have a couple of XT2's) and it was starting to annoy me. :)

I didn’t even try it, not something I want to use.

Hi X-H1 users

What's the real story with battery life for the X-H1 for stills photography? Are you using the older non-'S' batteries OK?

Thanks
Lee

I have a large amount of older batteries that work fine :) yes you get a battery warning pop up stating you may get a reduced performance but I only ever shoot stills so they haven’t proved to be a problem :):fuji:

Sadly it’s become obligatory to shoot this every time I take someone into North Wales
Again Fuji X-H1 XF 10-24mm f9.0 1/17th sec iso 200 handheld once again

llyn Padarn by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
One from yesterday's dog walk. X-H1 plus 16-55.

full

I have a large amount of older batteries that work fine :) yes you get a battery warning pop up stating you may get a reduced performance but I only ever shoot stills so they haven’t proved to be a problem :):fuji:

Thanks to all for their comments on this. In spite of telling myself to just use my X100 this year, I have succumbed and ordered an X-H1 from the refurb shop for only £899.

Seems like an amazing price to me. Should arrive today ... now where is that text that I had expected from DPD?!

Lee

Thanks to all for their comments on this. In spite of telling myself to just use my X100 this year, I have succumbed and ordered an X-H1 from the refurb shop for only £899.

Seems like an amazing price to me. Should arrive today ... now where is that text that I had expected from DPD?!

Lee

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book, “ENJOY”.(y)

George.

Enjoy your new camera Lee I’m not out and about much these days but still enjoying the XH1 poor weather is a great challenge that can lead to to really interesting images

Sadly, I think it's going back. Having some random out of focus issues. I have mostly been using a 23mm f2 lens. Never had that with my X-Pro2. For example, in AF-S mode with distance scale displayed and shooting at a subject sort of 30 ft away I can see the AF choosing anything from 7ft, through 30 ft to infinity. Not always, though. I have AF priority set to 'focus', have tried different size focus boxes. My 35mm f1.4 is better but even with that one I don't think the images are as sharp are they should be. If I switch to manual focus and rely on peaking, I get some very sharp results. Pity ...

Lee

Sadly, I think it's going back. Having some random out of focus issues. I have mostly been using a 23mm f2 lens. Never had that with my X-Pro2. For example, in AF-S mode with distance scale displayed and shooting at a subject sort of 30 ft away I can see the AF choosing anything from 7ft, through 30 ft to infinity. Not always, though. I have AF priority set to 'focus', have tried different size focus boxes. My 35mm f1.4 is better but even with that one I don't think the images are as sharp are they should be. If I switch to manual focus and rely on peaking, I get some very sharp results. Pity ...

Lee
FWIW my first H1 was a Fuji refurb which had to go back. To cut a long story short, it had been returned to Fuji and immediately sent out without passing through the workshop. I bit the bullet and bought new. Never looked back.

Lee

Yep. Return it. I expect they’ll fix/replace it.

FWIW my first H1 was a Fuji refurb which had to go back. To cut a long story short, it had been returned to Fuji and immediately sent out without passing through the workshop. I bit the bullet and bought new. Never looked back.

How did you get Fuji to admit that? Well, it will give me time to re-think. Looks like prices new are about to drop ...

How did you get Fuji to admit that? Well, it will give me time to re-think. Looks like prices new are about to drop ...
They were frank and honest and immediately refunded and arranged return of faulty camera. Besides, the evidence was there. The camera was set up in Italian ...

Really like the textures, lighting, and perspective in this one, George.

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

@Jonathan... love all three of these, just got hold of a 56mm so can’t wait to try it out. Number 1 is my favourite.

Just wondering - for stills photography are you guys leaving IBIS on all the time or just activating as and when? Anyone noticed any detrimental effects leaving it on for higher shutter speeds?

Lee

Just wondering - for stills photography are you guys leaving IBIS on all the time or just activating as and when? Anyone noticed any detrimental effects leaving it on for higher shutter speeds?

Lee
I’m idle and leave it on all the time. There used to be a school of thought that you should only use it at slow shutter speeds, but I’ve never noticed anything detrimental.

Lee
I normally have it on for hand held although if I remember will turn it off on a sunnier day. Will turn it off on a tripod if I remember but saying that the times I forget to I never noticed a massive drop in IQ.
Went to a talk at last year's photography show at the NEC by one of the Fuji X motorsport photographers and he said he leaves IBIS on all the time.

Back