Fujifilm X-H1

See your getting the hung of the X-H1, great shot.

Cheers - only thing though, I took it out today and found the screen wasn't great in strong light, was sunny on and off here today and I was struggling to see what i was focusing on at times. Much better using the evf of course but for low down shots where I like to use the tilt screen.

Cheers - only thing though, I took it out today and found the screen wasn't great in strong light, was sunny on and off here today and I was struggling to see what i was focusing on at times. Much better using the evf of course but for low down shots where I like to use the tilt screen.

Same for me too today, so I just touched the screen to focus and clicked :cool:

Same for me too today, so I just touched the screen to focus and clicked :cool:

Ha, yeah I was doing this too, still missed focus on some shots but still getting used to the camera, was enjoyable to use besides. Just processing images now

Its unlikely I'll use the grip much and if I do its for either motorsport or days where I'm working off the tripod.

That was £999 with the grip and two extra batteries - I think it was meant to be £1099 with an extra £100 trade in bonus, but I seem to have got the £999.99 price without trading in!

It should have been, but the 16-55 for £658 fits my needs more so I went back for that......

Thanks!

Thats a result, I wonder if Wex do those deals on all their open days - presuming it was a Wex one day? - There is one in London soon:thinking:

Its unlikely I'll use the grip much and if I do its for either motorsport or days where I'm working off the tripod.

The camera is beefy enough without the grip for me, I do need to get some back up batteries though, it's not the best for longevity. I took it out today to a local park with a fully charged battery - took maybe close to 200 shots and it was flashing red before we left. That's certainly not great, my G80 will hit 400 shots before blinking. For this reason the grip makes sense, but it's already a bit of a brick! :D A nice brick, but pretty heavy nonetheless [for a mirrorless, still lighter than larger dslr]

Trying Capture One for the first time after seeing some YouTube videos by Andy Mumford who mentions he thinks its much better for Fuji files, even just the default RAW development seems much nicer than Lightroom or Adobe RAW ever was, also not seeing any sharpening artefacts - might need to invest in this after the trial!

Trying Capture One for the first time after seeing some YouTube videos by Andy Mumford who mentions he thinks its much better for Fuji files, even just the default RAW development seems much nicer than Lightroom or Adobe RAW ever was, also not seeing any sharpening artefacts - might need to invest in this after the trial!

I downloaded the trial and haven't been fully convinced, it seems more complex than it needs to be and tbh, I'm still using LR and not finding any issues with artifacts or dreaded worms [yes, I said it!] - then again I never experienced this when i shot Fuji in the past, I just knew what not to do during processing.

The camera is beefy enough without the grip for me, I do need to get some back up batteries though, it's not the best for longevity. I took it out today to a local park with a fully charged battery - took maybe close to 200 shots and it was flashing red before we left. That's certainly not great, my G80 will hit 400 shots before blinking. For this reason the grip makes sense, but it's already a bit of a brick! :D A nice brick, but pretty heavy nonetheless [for a mirrorless, still lighter than larger dslr]

You'll need to look into some battery management techniques. 200 shots from one battery isn't good.

200 is not good at all mate, when I did the Roxi shots I cleared 2,000 on one battery charge.

You'll need to look into some battery management techniques. 200 shots from one battery isn't good.
200 is not good at all mate, when I did the Roxi shots I cleared 2,000 on one battery charge.

I have everything on, IBIS continuous, screen full brightness etc ... but that was the idea, to see how much I could get from a full charge. I don't know how long I would have gotten once it was flashing red, we were heading home at that point either way. I'll test it out again, full charged battery today, formatted card, will see how many I can get with a few tweaks.

These are really lovely, great tones and excellent use of quite a dark, but clear overall image, nice work

Thanks :) It was an eerie place, small woods at the back of a local park, tried to capture some of that strange woods feeling

I've recently invested in some interesting legacy prime lenses.
Here's one with the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, shot wide open.

Bluebell by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Nice, I shot some bluebells yesterday but none of them came out as I wished. I had trouble viewing the LCD in harsh lighting, it's very dim and hard to specifically nail focus using it in those conditions.

One of the reasons I got the H1 was with adapting old lenses in mind too. I haven't gotten round to it yet, but I will do. When I had the XT1 I really enjoyed the Helios 44-2, so that's one I might try out again. It also worked nicely as a macro lens when reversed or with macro rings attached.

I am adapting lenses atm, but with an AF adapter that allows Canon EF/EF-S lenses to work with full control, and it's fun :) But, of course, I want to get some Fuji lenses too - just broke after buying the actual camera :D

Last edited:
Nice, I shot some bluebells yesterday but none of them came out as I wished. I had trouble viewing the LCD in harsh lighting, it's very dim and hard to specifically nail focus using it in those conditions.

One of the reasons I got the H1 was with adapting old lenses in mind too. I haven't gotten round to it yet, but I will do. When I had the XT1 I really enjoyed the Helios 44-2, so that's one I might try out again. It also worked nicely as a macro lens when reversed or with macro rings attached.

I am adapting lenses atm, but with an AF adapter that allows Canon EF/EF-S lenses to work with full control, and it's fun :) But, of course, I want to get some Fuji lenses too - just broke after buying the actual camera :D
One of the best reasons for going mirrorless is to be able to use the huge number of old film camera lenses IMHO. Lovely shot and great bokeh.

I now own the following:

SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 (K)
SMC Pentax-F 28mm f2.8 (K)
Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.4 Flektogon (M42)
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (M42)
Super Multi Coated Takumar 85mm f1.8 (M42)
Super Multi Coated Takumar 105mm f2.8 (M42)

All of the above are in excellent condition, complete with caps, leather cases etc..
If you can cope with the fact that they are manual lenses, they are a joy to handle. Bomb proof build quality!

I now own the following:

All of the above are in excellent condition, complete with caps, leather cases etc..
If you can cope with the fact that they are manual lenses, they are a joy to handle. Bomb proof build quality!

The only Pentax I have now is the M50/1.7 which I love. I have concentrated on Komine and Meyer-Optik. The latter produce some lovely bokeh. As you say, the build quality is amazing and despite being manual focus they are a joy to use.

I've recently invested in some interesting legacy prime lenses.
Here's one with the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, shot wide open.

Bluebell by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

“Excellent” Fujigraph, good colour and great use of DOF.

George.

I now own the following:

Nice line up, I only ever had one Takumar, the SMC 200mm F4. Nice lens, was sharp enough for me to use for birds at F4. It would be even better now on the H1 with the IBIS.

I think I've solved my no-exif data issue, my images were uploading to Flickr without any exif data - now I know most don't care about this info but I do for when looking back through my older images in particular. The problem was with LR, for some unknown reason in the export options box metadata was set to 'copyright only' - I have never changed this setting so it must have changed somehow during an update. When you open the export box you don't see the meta data options until you scroll down so it had me puzzled for a while. Sorted now :)

Some bluebells as a tester:
Bluebell by K G, on Flickr

I now own the following:

How do you find the manual focus aids on the XH1? Now I have the 16-55 and 23mm my main native needs really are fulfilled and I might dabble with some longer legacy primes for landscapes, perhaps something like a 100mm or 135mm

How do you find the manual focus aids on the XH1? Now I have the 16-55 and 23mm my main native needs really are fulfilled and I might dabble with some longer legacy primes for landscapes, perhaps something like a 100mm or 135mm

Hi Chris,
I really enjoy the chance to manually focus again (but not for my birds and wildlife shooting!). Focus peaking is my preferred choice, and although at my age the eyes are not great, I have no trouble in focussing accurately. It's a matter of personal choice, but I use yellow (high) peaking, and it stands out like a sore thumb - so no problem.
The quality and character of the lenses is amazing. I've used trusted sources on the Pentax User website to buy the lenses so far, and you get great quality for pence compared to the cost of modern lenses. I have only bought highly rated lenses (pentaxforums.com is a great source of lens reviews), and it has worked well so far.
To me, there is something satisfying about occasionally 'going back to the old days', and manually focussing - it never was this easy in times past.
Hope this helps.

I am an idiot! I know some of you knew this already :ROFLMAO: But I just discovered today that I didn't have the LCD brightness up at all! it was the evf I had at +5, the LCD was at 0, no wonder it was hard to view the other day in strong sunlight. Much better now, still not as vivid as the LCD on my G80 in sunshine, but much better than it was at least. This doesn't help though with the battery issue, with the screen dimmed I can rule that out as a factor in quick drainage. Maybe the battery they included was a bit of a dud. If any of you are using third party batteries, which ones would you suggest? I'm seeing a few variants on amazon, dual packs that come with a charger. What would have been a contributor though was I had boost mode on, is there a point to this without the grip?

What way do you lot have your H1 set up? As in, ISO/SS/exp comp - how many of you make full use of those lovely top dials? one lens I have has seriously irritating aperture chatter when used in Auto modes. It stops when I manually set any of the controls but for times when I need instant proper exposure I see no way around it :/ I remember this used to be an issue with the 35 1.4 too but I believe a FW update for that lens fixed it? It's one lens I was considering but don't want to have 2 chatter boxes :D

Also those who've had the camera a while now, what have you found as the best set up for the touch screen swipe options

Back