weekly Gary’s 52 for 23 Week 52 - Favourite of the year

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
All set up and ready to go

Well since the cold snap a couple of weeks ago it seems to have been raining pretty much every day, as a consequence the Irwell is quite high.

6E19A31E-B511-41D9-9CDE-936B9DB6B498.jpeg

Last edited:
5B42A81F-972C-449C-B607-13DB57B05609.jpeg
EC49A9F3-695C-43B9-9EDA-2612461D7384.jpeg

Your chosen shot shows your area, but I prefer the water action in the 1st one above.

Looks like a nice river - and the brown / grey water looks correct for this time of year.

What's the tower thing up on the hill? (Or are you saving that for a later theme??)

Looks like a nice river - and the brown / grey water looks correct for this time of year.

What's the tower thing up on the hill? (Or are you saving that for a later theme??)
It’s Peel Tower on Holcombe Hill above Ramsbottom

It’s Peel Tower on Holcombe Hill above Ramsbottom
Interesting, thanks. I'm always amazed how things like this were built in the middle of nowhere before the days of trucks and cranes.

Looks ready to overflow the banks Gary, Same as the rivers in my neck of the woods.

I think I prefer the third shot to give an idea of the swollen river and I prefer the compostion. Good start to the 52.

River is probably quite a lot higher now after all the rain we've had the last couple of days, at least here in Cornwall.

All of the images give an idea of the amount of rain we've had recently and the desolate conditions, but my favourite is probably the third because (to me) it gives an uninterrupted view of how much water there is and a sense of how fast it is moving. Great subject to start this year, and good luck with your 52!

River is probably quite a lot higher now after all the rain we've had the last couple of days, at least here in Cornwall.
To my mind we haven’t had a fully dry day since the cold snap a few weeks ago, the river has been up and down several feet since I took the photos

31536A6A-74D0-4475-B0E9-9D2789D768A7.jpeg

Yep, nicely done, the light and frost on the web highlight it really well.

The frost really helps to show the structure of the web, just been reading about spider webs on wikepedia and very interesting.

One bit of info from from wiki
"The web is electrically conductive which causes the silk threads to spring out to trap their quarry, as flying insects tend to gain a static charge which attracts the silk"

Aye it's a nice shot and perfect for the theme Gary :)

Great idea, the frost really makes it stand out too.

Is that frost where you are Gary? I think that we've finally gotten past the frost point here.

Is that frost where you are Gary? I think that we've finally gotten past the frost point here.
It is frost and now almost a week later it’s still frozen every morning, according to weather should change after weekend

Your area - I do prefer the photo with more movement in the water.
Incomplete - Well captured web, it almost amazes how intricate the design can be. Given how wide an area it spans It must have taken a bit of time to complete.

Natural and artificial light

week 3 - Artificial and tech Juxtaposition.jpg

Very cool shot Gary, you also have artificial planets in the image.

Interesting take on the theme that works well in mono.. the light has a sinister look to it!

From today’s dog walk, the river is now back down to its normal level

54D6412B-F1D1-4B55-AD16-6E8CF42272EF.jpeg

Good spot - crystal clear and only apparent that its there due to the rock, and the reflections in the upper part of the shot. Making it look easy!!

Tonight’s sunset over Ramsbottom
FCDEECAC-24F9-41E6-B46F-CACB47EDC2BD.jpeg

Another great sky. I like the inclusion of the lamp post and the tree for scale. Think I'd like to see more of them though.

Great sky, could have more tree and lampost.

Pete

I'll try portrait format next time. it was shot on iPhone SE so a bit limited as to what could/could not be included in frame

Back