weekly George's 52 for 2018 And finished

Hi Georgina,

Good to see your catch-up :)

Synthetic - Certainly on theme, nicely focused on the subject and a good strong background with some nice OOF flowers. Works for me.
Rural - Nice composition with the partial hay bale and the rays / flare pointing at it. Nice golden colour to the light too.
I really like this one (y)
Bright - What car is it? My bet is a SEAT of some kind with that colour.
Elegant - I didn't have this down as blurred, just a bit of motion in the wings. Nice and colourful :)
Derelict - Certainly overgrown... Again, doesn't look blurred on the forum (I've not gone into flickr).
Home - The rest of us have that weather now ;) nothing says IoM like low lying cloud. not the most inspiring of shots really, but certainly on theme.
Round - That bowling green has seen better days. I'm not sure this needs all the green in it, perhaps a tighter crop? Dunno...
Cooking - The tight crop on this works really well. Plenty of detail. (So I think I'm going to stand by my thoughts on 'Round' needing a crop). I like that you've caught the merest hint of red on the top apple whilst the rest is colour matched.

Hi Tim, Thanks very much for all the comments. Hopefully going to get some commenting done myself over the next few days!!

You're wrong on the car Lol. Its a Ford Focus ST, It's actually an estate too, there aren't many of them about in that colour :D I agree with you about Home, but it just summed up our usual weather :) The bowls were actually quite a distance away, on a very wet evening. It was part of a project that a nearby town did to capture all that happened during one day. Really didn't expect the bowling to still be on but they were all there in their waterproofs. The images with that lens were blurred down the sides particularly on the right, so managed to crop the worst off thankfully :D

Home made me smile, we get similar weather here across the sea.
Great butterfly shot!

Cook, lovely shot the tinge of red on one apple looks really good against the different greens.

Georgina

Music - not a pretty sight, but on theme.

Creatures - Plenty of details in the Seagull.

Synthectic - good focus on that front flower and bright against the red background.

Rural - a very nice shot, love the details in the straw bale and the lighting with those sun rays, nice background too.

Bright - love that colour, I had a car in gold metallic yellow - called Norfolk Mustard, my present car is Red with Gold Metallic called Chillie Red - both look great in the sunshine.
I like the angle you have used and the detail is clearly visible.

Elegant - Nice picture, lovely colours and sharp enough where needed.

Derelict - I know what you mean - on theme and an interesting angle showing how enclosed it is.

Home - I hope your view improves soon.

Round - right on Theme even if early. Composition works well.

Cook - Good capture of a pair of apples, something out of focus but does not distract too much.

Pete

Home made me smile, we get similar weather here across the sea.
Great butterfly shot!

Thanks Chris, I'm sure there is a very scientific reason but we seem to have a lot more sea mist this year. Can be quite dramatic too

Georgina

Music - not a pretty sight, but on theme.

Creatures - Plenty of details in the Seagull.

Synthectic - good focus on that front flower and bright against the red background.

Rural - a very nice shot, love the details in the straw bale and the lighting with those sun rays, nice background too.

Bright - love that colour, I had a car in gold metallic yellow - called Norfolk Mustard, my present car is Red with Gold Metallic called Chillie Red - both look great in the sunshine.
I like the angle you have used and the detail is clearly visible.

Elegant - Nice picture, lovely colours and sharp enough where needed.

Derelict - I know what you mean - on theme and an interesting angle showing how enclosed it is.

Home - I hope your view improves soon.

Round - right on Theme even if early. Composition works well.

Cook - Good capture of a pair of apples, something out of focus but does not distract too much.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments Pete, very much appreciated :) I see what you mean about the "something out of focus", I hadn't noticed until you said, it must have been a twig I think :)

Georgina

Home, Glad I don't have to cut the lawn in your back garden. It is what is says on the tin.
Nothing of interest that I can see. But fits the theme. actually looks a bit better on flickr, more vibrant colours.

Round, Fits the theme and good focus on the balls with the wet showing up well. Good position within the frame, simple composition that works well.

Cook, Nice Image, close crop shows off the cooking apples, like the water drops. Shame about the mark on the uppermost apple.

Pete

Georgina

Home, Glad I don't have to cut the lawn in your back garden. It is what is says on the tin.
Nothing of interest that I can see. But fits the theme. actually looks a bit better on flickr, more vibrant colours.

Round, Fits the theme and good focus on the balls with the wet showing up well. Good position within the frame, simple composition that works well.

Cook, Nice Image, close crop shows off the cooking apples, like the water drops. Shame about the mark on the uppermost apple.

Pete

Thanks again Pete! So much time on your hands, you're commenting twice ;) Putting me to shame, finally caught up with my own images so will try and get some commenting done over the next few days :)

Hi Georgina,

Short - This shot is my pick of your catch up. It's simple yet on theme. The choice of hte colour of the pegs compliments the blues and greens. The shorts are the obvious large subject in the frame and there's a nice bit of background blur. (y)

Forked - On theme. This is a hard one to make compelling. The leading lines don't have a pay-off, though there is a large tree on the apex of the fork, so there is something there.

Refuse/d - I struggled to make out what this was? It looked like some sort of Hessian and put me in mind of a medieval scene.
I wouldn't have guessed it was an orang-utan, but I can see it now.

Dark - Yup, guessed this was about the clouds. I'm not big on landscapes, so not really my place to comment, but I wonder if cropping in, for that 'less is more' feel might work? Dunno.

Pull - Interesting to have the bell pull outside the building. Nice crisp shot letting you read the plaque on the wall. :)

Oooh, Splash - As this wasn't in the catch-up post, I didn't realise it was yours initially.
Wow, just Wow. A fantastic shot, this grabs the crown from the shorts.
I hope you're printing this and hanging it on your wall somewhere. (y) (y) (y)

A really great catch up there, my favourites are Refuse(typical red head not wanting her photo taken) I think zoo's can be quite sad places at times and you have captured that I think.
Pull, I think this is a great find and well shot to emphasise the rope against the texture of the wall.
Splash is awesome, nothing to say other than Wow!

Hi Georgina,

Short - This shot is my pick of your catch up. It's simple yet on theme. The choice of hte colour of the pegs compliments the blues and greens. The shorts are the obvious large subject in the frame and there's a nice bit of background blur. (y)

Forked - On theme. This is a hard one to make compelling. The leading lines don't have a pay-off, though there is a large tree on the apex of the fork, so there is something there.

Refuse/d - I struggled to make out what this was? It looked like some sort of Hessian and put me in mind of a medieval scene.
I wouldn't have guessed it was an orang-utan, but I can see it now.

Dark - Yup, guessed this was about the clouds. I'm not big on landscapes, so not really my place to comment, but I wonder if cropping in, for that 'less is more' feel might work? Dunno.

Pull - Interesting to have the bell pull outside the building. Nice crisp shot letting you read the plaque on the wall. :)

Oooh, Splash - As this wasn't in the catch-up post, I didn't realise it was yours initially.
Wow, just Wow. A fantastic shot, this grabs the crown from the shorts.
I hope you're printing this and hanging it on your wall somewhere. (y) (y) (y)

Thanks for the comments Tim :) Not sure I like the implication that my shorts are large :ROFLMAO: Was harder than I thought to find a good fork, all the ones I found were a bit meh. It was a hessian sack, they seem to like playing with them or hiding underneath. I kind of was going for a more is more on dark, I wanted a vastness vibe thing :D Pull was an odd one, it's in a local heritage village with old stone thatched cottages etc. They also do farming stuff and I went to look for an old plough or similar and then I spotted the church bell. It's a tiny church so I guess there would be no room for this internally. Splash took several hours of fiddling with settings and trying to drop an ice cube into a glass and pull the trigger at the same time. Surprising how many times you can do this and either miss the glass completely or get no splash at all :banghead: One of those where I was going to give up and said ok just one more set :D

A very good catch up, but Wow for the splash shot. Beautifully taken and agree with Tim on printing it to go on your wall great in mono too.

Thanks very much Dave. Thinking of getting a print done for a photo club competition, so it may end up on the wall :D

A really great catch up there, my favourites are Refuse(typical red head not wanting her photo taken) I think zoo's can be quite sad places at times and you have captured that I think.
Pull, I think this is a great find and well shot to emphasise the rope against the texture of the wall.
Splash is awesome, nothing to say other than Wow!

Thanks very much Roger. They can be quite sad, but I think Chester Zoo is one of the good ones. In this case I think she was actually either playing with or trying to hide from a baby, who was very cute. They did eventually turn round and I got some nice shots of them together :D

Georgina

Short, can't argue they are short and bang on theme. Nice dof and colour of the pegs against the background.

Forked, well trodden forked path, maybe a bit more contrast is needed.

Refuse, good for taking one of each meaning.

Dark, yes Tims comments about cropping the top cloud out would work well. Ideally the sun should be shining on the middle ground.

Pulled, Nice find for the theme. It looks a bit flat, could do with some shadows being cast by the uneven stones in the wall.

Spash, keep the best to last. Not sure what the marks near the bottom are. I see later on that it's the ice cube, but still strange marks on it. Glad you preserved with your attempts.

Pete

Week 37 - Art - These I found by chance on the prom in Douglas. They are very effective but it was tricky to get an angle without some rubbish stuff in the bg. In the end I had to clone a clone a couple of things out :D

Art by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 38 - Bizarre - This is in a grave yard in the next town. It's known as the vampire grave because of the stakes and chains. Seems bizarre to me :D

Bizarre by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 39 - Wild - Wild waves at the south of the Island. They don't look as impressive in the picture and I think its a little blurred but the wind was howling and just couldn't hold the camera still :rolleyes::)

Wild by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Art. Very poignant shot, fits the Art theme and I very much support the "there but not there" idea. A real top shot. Hope you do not mind me putting a link to the website Georgina.
https://www.therebutnotthere.org.uk/ I have a Tommy and hope to include him in a shot soon.

Bizzare. Definitely on theme and the B&W conversion really suits it.

Wild, Love it reminds me so much of the coast in Cornwall. I like how you have kept the darkness in the water which makes it menacing.

Autumn A really natural shot.

Hollow. Clever idea for hollow well executed.

A great catch up you have done there.

Art. Very poignant shot, fits the Art theme and I very much support the "there but not there" idea. A real top shot. Hope you do not mind me putting a link to the website Georgina.
https://www.therebutnotthere.org.uk/ I have a Tommy and hope to include him in a shot soon.

Bizzare. Definitely on theme and the B&W conversion really suits it.

Wild, Love it reminds me so much of the coast in Cornwall. I like how you have kept the darkness in the water which makes it menacing.

Autumn A really natural shot.

Hollow. Clever idea for hollow well executed.

A great catch up you have done there.

Thanks very much for the comments and the link! I had no idea it was a national thing. I've got the page open now and will have a read of it later :D

Hi Georgina,

Art - Poignant, especially with November coming around. Nicely taken. Only comment would be the halos around the poppies.

Bizarre - it's certainly a bit mysterious looking, and definitely suits the mono processing. Liking the low POV too.
Me Likes! :clap:

wild - Lovely vibrant blues, showing the power of the wild ocean at work. What's not to like.

Autumn - Weakest of the 5, sorry. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but no real obvious focus.

Hollow - Not much to say here except fantastic !

Good catch up, not much to add to what has been said, autumn could do with more punch for me, waves are hard IME unless you get down amongst them which is not always possible but you have done a good job with a nice bright, energetic photo and hollow is excellent :clap:

Georgina

Art, nice use of the solder silhouette against the the nice blue sky. They appear to be all over the place.

Bizarre, this looks much better on flickr and fits the bizarre theme.Good use of B&W.

Wild, Fits the theme, nice colour in the water, where has the mucky brown seas we use to have gone? ( I much prefer the blue btw).

Autumn, Plenty of Pop in the colours, I find it a very pleasing image.

Hollow, simple looking image, but I'm guessing it's not. I like the focus on the drop.

Pete

comment catch up from me

Musical - made me laugh and well taken.
Hard - I like that you did't crop in too close he has space to move into and stands out from the background.
creature - I like the lighter version better.
Synthetic - love the white against the deep red great shot.
Rural - great shot I was hoping for something more like this for my round shot but couldn't get the angle I wanted. Love the star burst from the sun.
Bright - That is a very bright car I like the tight crop.
Elegant - I love that shot shame about your lens.
Derelict - looks like the plants are taking it over
Home - aw and we all had sun.
Round - right on theme, I might have gone for a letterbox crop.
cooking - I like the tight crop and the raindrops on the apples.
Shorts - they stand out well against the oof background
Forked - fits the theme
Refuse - I like the the reluctant Orangutan.
Dark - those are dark clouds.
Pull - great spot for the theme unusual building.
Splash - Wow great shot, I bet that took some getting. excellent work.
Art - super find good to get them all in view.
Bizarre - very gothic and right on theme I like the use of black and white.
Wild - Fabulous colours love the crashing waves.
Autumn - great autumn colours.
Hollow - more lovely blue, another great capture, that must have taken a lot of setting up well done.

OK so had a bit of spare time today and after coming back on I couldn't resist finishing. Now I know this is not the way the challenge is supposed to work but I don't really care :exit::naughty::LOL:
All the images were taken this year and most towards the end of the year. I won't post them in the 'post your images' thread, except for the showcase one, as I don't really want to p*** people off. For those of you that come to look,I thank you and hope you enjoy. Click a like if you want to, but please don't comment unless you really feel the need :D

Back