weekly Halloween to Halloween! Toni's 52.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
Yes
10558895854_b2ed619aaf_z.jpg

I started a 365 project in January of this year and was doing pretty well until my mum's cancer diagnosis. It was then that I started to flag, fall behind and - eventually - quit. I'd wanted to try again but the threat of failing again was holding me back so I've decided to just dip one toe in the water. Starting on Halloween 2013, I'm aiming for one photo a week. I punished myself in the previous 365 attempt by limiting myself to only allowing photos I was happy with - no fillers. With this P52, I'm going to attempt to relax that.

No rules or challenges - I don't want to open any doors that could help me along to failing completion. Just photos.

:nuts: :help:

10558895854_b2ed619aaf_z.jpg

I started a 365 project in January of this year and was doing pretty well until my mum's cancer diagnosis. It was then that I started to flag, fall behind and - eventually - quit. I'd wanted to try again but the threat of failing again was holding me back so I've decided to just dip one toe in the water. Starting on Halloween 2013, I'm aiming for one photo a week. I punished myself in the previous 365 attempt by limiting myself to only allowing photos I was happy with - no fillers. With this P52, I'm going to attempt to relax that.

No rules or challenges - I don't want to open any doors that could help me along to failing completion. Just photos.

:nuts: :help:

Look forward to seeing your photos Toni (y)

I shall subscribe, looking forward to seeing more of your photos Toni.. Good Luck(y)

Good luck Toni, I took part in the TP52 and really enjoyed it, I'm thinking about taking part again next year! It's a good idea not to have rules to take the pressure off!

I look forward to seeing all your pics! :)

Liking your first Toni.... the OOF foreground and background focus the eye nicely on the subject,

Hope you can find enough inspiration for something to shoot each week. Although if lacking there's no reason why you couldn't take the current 52's theme to inspire you. :)

Good start to your 52 Toni, look forward to seeing your work.
I had looked in on your 365, there is a lot of great work in there, i like your style. Iain:)

Toni welcome, and I think you have a good approach... I can't decide whether I loathe or love the weekly theme. Good thing is that it has driven me to take pics I never would have, bad thing is it's drive me mad and been a real hangup some times!

Like your pic, although I couldn't quite work out if it was a composite, there seems to be quite a difference in tonal contrast between the main figure and the rest. The figure is wonderful though.

Sorry I missed these comments before! Thank you very much Iain :D

Chris, I couldn't decide if the theme would help or hinder me in completing it so I've gone for the relaxed approach - if I want to have a go at the theme, I can. If not, I can do something else :p

And thank you! No composite :)

Week 2! From the test pack of my SX-70 using PX70 Colour Protect film - My husband on our anniversary (10th).
10775178665_b1c9800a44_z.jpg

Awww i like that Toni, nice to see he's still posing for you... and a belated happy anniversary!

Nice first couple of shots Toni - I started the 365 and had to bow out after a few weeks due to family problems - so likewise I may step forward with a 52 shot challenge shortly :)

Best of luck with the rest of the challenge and I'll look forward to following the journey with you (y)

Sorry Brian, this didn't pop up in my watched threads when you posted! Can you see it now?

Thanks T! He doesn't get a say in the matter ;) :LOL:

Thanks Marcus! The 365 is hard work at the best times, nevermind with family or health problems - it's a scary thought, trying again! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up this though (y)

I'm struggling with remembering when I need a photo by haha... I took this yesterday and I think it's within the right time frame :thinking: It's harder when it's not a "new" week every Monday :LOL:

10993314283_9ec80d9a45_z.jpg

Showing off my favourite camera (well, it's joint favourite with one I won't receive until Christmas but have used to "test" haha) and my favourite tattoo (y) Not loving the shadow on my leg though.

Last edited:
As you say yourself the shadow on your rear leg is a bit of a spoiler here.

Other than that distraction this is a really mice shot. loads of atmosphere somehow! - I wish I understood how you did that. :)

Thanks Brian :) I initially thought I'd accidentally gone over my leg with a low opacity paint brush :LOL: My PP skills don't go as far as removing it believably though! I removed the wallpaper behind me badly enough, that'll have to do! :LOL: :LOL:

Hi Toni

I really like the sharpness on the camera & tat , the slightly off centre position & the "just enough" DOF to lose the pillows :)

The left ( right as you look at it) leg confuses me as do the marks on the sheet to the rhs of the leg & on the sheet below it....:thinking:

What about the leg and the marks confuse you? I'll see if I can explain :LOL:

There's a window to the left out of frame, behind the pillows and my dress is of the flimsy, flowy, billowing material which is where the shadow on my leg comes from.

What about the leg and the marks confuse you? I'll see if I can explain :LOL:

There's a window to the left out of frame, behind the pillows and my dress is of the flimsy, flowy, billowing material which is where the shadow on my leg comes from.

Sorry Toni , I'm being ultra dim tonight.....so it's a shadow from the curtains on your leg ? That kinda makes sense now :)

The shadow on my leg is from the dress :p here's a crop of that area in the unedited colour jpeg that I've lightened to really show the dress itself and how it's sitting to make those shadows - it took me a while to work out where the shadow was coming from :LOL:
23m4npz.jpg

Bad clothing choice! :sulk:

Toni - couple of things that jump out at me from this one.... firstly I love the lights and the wintry feel to it from the sky, and the chap with the shopping bag full of pressies...Also liking the timing to catch the girl on the white horses. but.....

Feels a bit tight, a bit static, and the bin keeps drawing my eye.

Wonder how much different a wider lens, a longer shutter and different viewpoint might have made it?

Last edited:
Thanks very much Graham :D

All your points, I agree with! I'd been standing next to it for twenty minutes with my camera on the tripod on the other side of the carousel, waiting for it to move for a long exposure haha. I got fed up and walked off and happened to look back and it was moving :bonk:confused:o I just grabbed a quick shot rather than start again because I was annoyed! :LOL: There were better photos - ones I liked better - from the night but I chose this one because it was my first ever really low light photo and I was a bit impressed with myself on the exposure :LOL: It's definitely one to try again should I go back up this year!

Hi Toni :)

I'm really liking the bed/camera photo, shame about the shadow on your leg, but still a striking image

The Christmas shot is lovely and bright, but as per Graham says, a bit tight for me too... I hear you with your explanation, that sounds typical :D

oops! I'm only just seeing this, ever so sorry :( But thank you very much!

Have you fallen by the wayside already Toni?

No no! Still here! Still taking photos, they're just still on the camera! Hoping to get them uploaded, processed, in here and then make my way round others' thread soon! :eek: :D

Back