HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

How often do people buy camera gear though?

I bought a 7d from HDEW last year, everything went fine, and I probably did make a positive comment here about them. Since then I've bought nothing from anyone......what else more is there to say?

jerry

But you have 4000 posts :)
Im not talking about just making one post in this thread, im talking about joining a web forum and only making the one post....period.
I know some do, maybe just to praise someone or a service, as they have here, but there seemed a higher number than usual in this thread.
Im not casting any doubt over HDEW, i can see they are legit etc, its just my suspicious nature.

Well actually it was the other way around. I placed the order on line but my card payments wouldn't go though, i had to call them to make the payment and that when they told me they couldn't full fill the order as it stood.
I cant understand why they let me make the order with a different delivery address on it in the first place.

Ordered my new telephoto from them (my wallet doesn't thank you for the advise you gave :D) and had a similar experience, but they allowed it to be sent to my work address.

Otherwise i wouldn't have ordered from them as my cards are registered to my parents address way down in England.

Ordered my new telephoto from them (my wallet doesn't thank you for the advise you gave :D) and had a similar experience, but they allowed it to be sent to my work address.

Otherwise i wouldn't have ordered from them as my cards are registered to my parents address way down in England.

Haha, my wallet doesn't even talk to me these days.

Yes, i wanted mine to go to my work address as well but as soon as she said it had to be my registered card address i told her to cancel. I had already put down the company name and address on my order so they could see it was not a private address (i assume).

Not the end of the world though, and at least ill get the lens before the weekend, when the rest of the family are away (y)

Haha, my wallet doesn't even talk to me these days.

Yes, i wanted mine to go to my work address as well but as soon as she said it had to be my registered card address i told her to cancel. I had already put down the company name and address on my order so they could see it was not a private address (i assume).

Not the end of the world though, and at least ill get the lens before the weekend, when the rest of the family are away (y)

Same with mine, thank god for faster payments from savings :D:D

I just stayed silent on the phone when the guy mentioned the work address thing and I think he relaised I would have cancelled. Then my CC was declined due to the fraud department flagging up the over phone transaction as dodgy :shake::LOL:

All sorted in the end!

Enjoy your weekend with your new bits.

Ive hammered my CC this past 6 months. Glad im not going on holiday this year as id have to explain to the other half why i cant afford it lol.

I must admit this was the first time ive had online payment issues. I feel nervous about giving the details out over the phone but was prepared to do it for the great saving.

Was it the 70-300L you went for? Thats next on my list, just have to sell my 70-200 f/4 IS first, later in the year.

I will indeed enjoy the weekend, new toy or not lol. Same to you.

Aye, the 70-300. Even ordered a Marumi protection filter (supposed to be UV but doesn't stop UV:thinking:) as I'm mor ethan a little scared of damaging it.

Need to get some practising in before the Chinese Grand Prix in April!

Nice one, hope you have loads of fun with it. I used to always buy a good, new UV filter for my new lenses but these days i dont bother, i just keep the hood on most fo the time, even when the lens is in the bag.
I was looking on HDEW earlier and noticed the price of the CF cards are way over what Amazon charge, £60 as opposed to £43 on amazon. I find that a bit strange.

I was looking on HDEW earlier and noticed the price of the CF cards are way over what Amazon charge, £60 as opposed to £43 on amazon. I find that a bit strange.

Amazon have immense buying power compared to HDEW, particularly for small relatively inexpensive items like memory cards. I would guess if anything HDEW primarily stock them hoping to get an easy sale from people ordering a new camera.

It's a shame they don't stock Micro Four Thirds stuff, otherwise I'd probably be all over them!

Hi Dave

I've been here years although mostly a viewer than a poster! I posted a few days ago that I had ordered a 5dmk3 from HDEW I was expecting it thursday or friday this week and it arrived today. I admit I was apprehensive but it's mint brand new, zero actuations, English language, english plug, english manual and came with the three year warranty. Can't fault them to be honest.

Having just read though this thread I'm a bit concerned about the number of posts from people who have only made one, positive post in this thread and nothing since. No offence meant to anyone but after all this time those people haven't made any post about anything thing else. Smells a bit fishy to me but maybe I'm reading too much in to it.

Anyway, I do want a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and would like to get it from HDEW, their price looks good and I like the idea of not having to post to HK if there are issues etc.

My question (finally) is how long do you normally have to wait from ordering something to receiving it? Someone said you place the order and then they order it in, is this true for everything? There doesn't seem to be any notification of in stock items so I'm guessing the do get items to order.
I will call them but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Cheers

I ordered on Thursday morning (about 10) and it came at 08:50 this morning (Tuesday) so 3 and a bit working days. The box it came in was from HDEW (i.e. no customs dockets etc). Hope this helps if you want to know more pm me.

dave_bass5 said:

If you'd have stayed on the phone rather than cancel, they would have told you that they can deliver to your work address if you pay by BT.

Most distance transactions require the delivery to be made to the registered address and that's almost certainly why your card failed via the website.

If you'd have stayed on the phone rather than cancel, they would have told you that they can deliver to your work address if you pay by BT.

Most distance transactions require the delivery to be made to the registered address and that's almost certainly why your card failed via the website.

No chance of using my own money I'm afraid, all on the CC this year.
I said I'd better cancel when told about the delivery, they had the chance to offer me alternative methods of payment.
There is a warning on their website about why payments might fail, but I've not had any problems with any other company, be it HK, Germany or UK, and all deliver to my work address without question.
I'm not criticising HDEW, just pointing out that they had the chance to take my money but their policy prevented it.

Has anyone received a faulty camera from hdew, or something went wrong with the camera a month or two down the line?
If so, what was the outcome?

Has anyone received a faulty camera from hdew, or something went wrong with the camera a month or two down the line?

I bought a lens off them that I was not happy with (purple spot at high f numbers). Returned it and 2 days later had a replacement with a cheque to cover my postage. Awesome service.

I bought a lens off them that I was not happy with (purple spot at high f numbers). Returned it and 2 days later had a replacement with a cheque to cover my postage. Awesome service.

Thanks (y)
Just bought a camera off them. Paid 30 quid more than other online places but at least I get to talk to someone and if need be I can take a 30 odd min drive to their shop.
After 2 weeks of reviews, reading through threads and threads about the camera and Hdew on the internet, I've taken the plunge.

:)Hi I recently purchased CANON 70-200 F2.8 IS II from Hdewcameras.
I hope this helps anyone who is perhaps a bit skeptical about this supplier.

I was a bit cautious and gave them a call. They were brilliant and really helpful & not pushy in any way, I questioned the subject of grey imports & they explained that they purchase only genuine stock direct and offer a no quibble 7 day return policy & also a 12 month warranty through Canon or Nikon service repair centres.

I then asked them how about there business & how long had they been trading etc, they explained that they had been a successful high street shop for years & then as things changed they moved to internet retail in order to remain competitive.

I then asked if I could pick up my lens from there premises & they said of course you can just let us know when you want to call & we will have it ready for you. I was asked where I lived & the lady said its not worth you travelling 2.5 hours each way when you can have the lens tomorrow if you decide before 3pm but its your choice we do not mind either way, again no pressure selling involved just polite sensible advice.

I was offered the following options. 1 purchase before 3pm & have the lens the next day before midday. 2 wait & have a think about it as we have enough stock.
3 Take a look on our facebook page & see our reviews.(hdewcameras)
I chose 3 and sure enough the reviews on facebook were 100% positive.

I got back to them before 3pm, had an email 4 min after my order was placed, and a dispatched email and tracking order about 1.5 hours later.

Next day was Saturday and there was a knock at the door at 9.30 am with a lovely brand new canon 70-200 with warranty. I just cannot fault them in any way.& yes the lens is a genuine one with all the correct markings & serial numbers. :)

Ordered the camera Monday lunchtime. Came First thing Thursday morning. 3 year warrantee in the box (no idea how good that will be), printed manual in English, UK plug. UK receipt and they emailed me a vat receipt.

I paid about £40 more that other places but the way I looked at it is if I had, or have a problem I can call them or go to shop itself. No waiting 24hrs between emails.

Time to rtfm I guess :)

So, are the cameras UK stock?
I only ask as Nikon have cash back promotions at the moment.

Thanks

Umm, have you read this thread or their website?
I dont mean to be rude but It clearly states they are not eligible for cash back, on their website, and this thread is about a retailer that sells grey market goods.

Another recomendation for HDEW - bought a 7D last week having, largely based on this and thread and other positive reviews. The fact they're UK based and you can speak to a real person was important to me. Placed order via the phone and received a couple of days later. Another happy customer.

I ordered an Olympus OMD kit from them yesterday (paid over the phone at lunchtime) after reading positive reviews on here.

Delivery quoted as 3 to 5 working days - cant wait :)

I have purchased plenty of stuff from HDEW and never had a problem. The only slight gripe is that they take 5-6 days to deliver most items, but it is worth the wait for the price savings.

I have purchased plenty of stuff from HDEW and never had a problem. The only slight gripe is that they take 5-6 days to deliver most items, but it is worth the wait for the price savings.

I ordered my OMD on the Tuesday lunchtime and arrived on the Friday morning. Great service.

Has anyone who has ordered a higher end Canon body from HDEW been able to register with CPS? I know lenses are not usually a problem but bodies worry me as I would like to get the benefits if possible.

Yes and Yes. Although there aren't exactly any benefits, apart from a faster repair time.

I registered a import 7D fine with CPS, but as DemiLion mentions the only benefit would be - bump up your CPS membership, speedier repairs, but no UK warranty.

Cool, was thinking post warranty as I'm currently Platinum so want to keep things up there.

I ordered a new camera from HDEW on Monday and have just about burst waiting for it to arrive since then ! I was really hoping it would arrive before the weekend so I could play but will just have to be more patient. Thanks everyone for reassuring me about them as I never would have ordered without reading this thread. Will update once I receive it.

someone has just recommended these to me and they are only a few miles away from where I live. anyone know if they are open on a sunday and if they have a "shop" you can visit?

I bought a 7D from Hdew in April. Excellent price and service. I have no doubt I will obtain all my major gear through them from now on, especially for the following reason: I was after the Canon 15-85mm IS EFS lens, which had been regularly advertised on their site at a great price. The day I decided to order it I found it had disappeared from their listings. I emailed them to ask why and received by return the explanation that stock was in short supply and they could not at present be sure of a delivery time but it should be ok in a few weeks.
How refreshing is that?! A less customer orientated business could easily have taken the order and payment and then prevaricated over a long drawn out delivery.
It just gave me a really good feeling about the level of service from Hdew, which I thought I'd share with you.
I will defo buy from them when it's available and this experience means my girlfriend will get her 7D and 400mm 5.6 L lens there when her cash becomes available.

I had a problem with a costly L series lens ie stopped auto focussing after 6 months, rang hdew and they told me to post it to their repairer, i did and got the lens back in perfect working order a week or so later a very helpful lady on the phone at hdew sorted it all out for me. Would use them again anytime. (y)

Back