HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

Not a great help but I did purchase my Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm lens from this company. Very helpful and prompt delivery once order confirmed by me, about to ask about the Tamron 18-270mm lens so will see what they have to say and report back results in due course.

I bought my Canon 600D and kit lens from them and had no prob's. The customer service was quality from start to finish!

I would sugest you request Royal Mail delivery when you order from Hdew, see below my recent experience with the less than great UKmail

Must stress that this was in no way the fault of Hdew who responded to my email and agreed on the less than satisfactory performance of the courier company

They did suggest that I request RM next time although they also said it's not always possible due to the great deal more RM can cost

Personally would be happy to pay the extra and wouldn't use them if they insisted on UKmail again

Firstly I would like to say thank you for the speedy despatch of my item, but I am very concerned about the delivery company you use

When I received the email notifying me that the item had been dispatched by yourselves I immediately used the consigment number to arrange a delivery for 08/10 knowing I wouldn't be at home on 04/10.
This action is clearly shown on the attached screen print of the company's website

Worrying bit is why did they still try to deliver on 04/10, definitely wasn't to my house as no card was left and then again on 05/10 where it was left and presumably signed for by someone called "Brown"

Today, Sunday 07/10 a lady who I have never seen before and is not a near neighbour rang at my door with the item, no idea where she lives, but very thankful she is so honest

The package was correctly addressed to me (obviously as the lady knew where to bring it) so who knows why they twice attempted to deliver it elsewhere especially after being asked to deliver on 08/10

Think UK Mail need to be asked what is going on and perhaps Royal Mail Special Delivery would be a far more reliable service to use, also handy that if absent when delivery is attempted it can be collected from the local sorting office

I am very pleased with your part of the transaction, but have to say it would definitely put me off using your company again knowing that, but for the honesty of a total stranger this could have become a very long and drawn out affair

Last edited:
ordered and paid for a tokina 11-16 on tuesday.email stated paid and now waiting for an email to say its been shipped.bit annoyed really as i did get an answer to my "in stock?" query.

Anyone bought a 5DmkIII from them? Weighing up buying from HDEW or Panamoz (£190 difference) - whereas HDEW seem to have UK warranty (1st year, don't have much faith in their 3yr warranty) the ability to pay on a credit card (introductory interest free option).

However, it seems that a number of people have had the 5D mkII as a split box item, which devalues its resale value in the future. Could anyone confirm whether they've bought the 5DmkIII from HDEW and did they get a split kit box?

a number of people have had the 5D mkII as a split box item, which devalues its resale value in the future

Why does it, quite believable someone had kept a lens and bought a new body, don't think it would bother many buyers

Find it strange that when buying a camera the first thought is now much can I sell it for?

Why does it, quite believable someone had kept a lens and bought a new body, don't think it would bother many buyers

Find it strange that when buying a camera the first thought is now much can I sell it for?

I'm having to sell a camera to help finance the purchase of the 5D mkIII, so clearly its at the forefront of my mind to try and maximise the money I get back on that.

well my tokina has turned up but the 7d doesn`t like it!.keep getting error 01 on it and after ringing HDEW they are sending another but wont this do the same?

After spending the last week researching cameras, going to shops and reading up on online dealers as i'm a complete newbie to DSLR's i've just placed an order over the phone with them for the Nikon D5100 + 18-55mm + 55-200mm Double Kit.

I've put £100 deposit down and will pay the rest on collection as Surrey isn't too far a drive. The polite lady said they would call me when it's ready to be picked up from their office/shop which would take around 3-5 working days. I've received an email confirmation for my order with the status 'deposit paid' which also says they will contact me in 1-4 working days when the order is ready.

well the first lens turned up with a fault.spoke to hdew and they asked for me to return it.sent it recorded over night which they fully refunded me and sent a replacement the same day.very impressed with the service and how helpful they were on the phone.i`ll use them again!

Well i got a call on Monday morning saying my D5100 was ready for pick up from their offices. I paid the remaining balance there by credit card and they offered to unpack the box etc to check the contents. Everything was fine with it and had the extended warranty put in the box.

Their setup seems basic with an office in a building shared by other companies in the industrial estate but certainly functional. They had a number of other orders they were packing/processing and came across as friendly. There were a few places to park your car there too.

Anyone bought a 5DmkIII from them? Weighing up buying from HDEW or Panamoz (£190 difference) - whereas HDEW seem to have UK warranty (1st year, don't have much faith in their 3yr warranty) the ability to pay on a credit card (introductory interest free option).

However, it seems that a number of people have had the 5D mkII as a split box item, which devalues its resale value in the future. Could anyone confirm whether they've bought the 5DmkIII from HDEW and did they get a split kit box?

You may already have bought it but I got mine and yes is is a split box item.

I choose HDew cameras because it is not too far from me and I can go and pick the camera up. Re the extended warranty from memory they use someone in Scotland or close to it and they have a very quick turnaround, similar to Fixation. Fortunately I have not had to use the service but someone else on one of the many threads on Hdew cameras has used them and reported the above.

Quite why a firm paper box makes any difference to resale is beyond me. HDEW have in fact told me that they split kits, and sell the cameras and lenses separately which is how they achieve their low prices.
Second hand 24-105 L lenses got for about £550 on Gumtree, £589 at HDEW and about £880 elsewhere.
I've ordered one form HDEW so fingers crossed there are no issues.

Have just recived my nikon d5100 body only all paper work etc fine , good service , opened the box tho find a large white box inside thought it was crimbo again i thought they had forgot to take the lens out but it was the bty , strap etc inside lol .all in all happy with the service.

Hdew are my new go to guys. Amazing service and comms from them.

Bought my 1DX from them with a VAT receipt too!

In the last year have bought a 300mm F4L IS, 24-70 2.8L MKII and a 70-200 2.8l IS II not had any issues at all. Smooth Comms.

My only crit would be that they don't openly advertise next day delivery and you have to contact by mail for items not listed on their page.

Nether less, for the savings for me, is no great bug bare!

Got my EF-S 55-250 IS II lens yesterday, ordered it on the 31/1 so good delivery considering the weekend.
Can't say the same about the courier they use (UK Mail), had to go and pick it up from the depot as the didn't sent it out when they were supposed to.
Looks like lens is a US/Canadian import but registered ok on the Canon website.

I know where I'll be going for my lens purchases in the future (y)

I've just received my canon 100mm usm is macro from them! Can't wait to have a go of it when the weather gets better.

Been lurking for a while as I make up my mind on what I'll be bundling with my first DSLR (Canon 650d).
I'd been expecting to spend my money with that other grey importer DigitalRev, but based on this thread, I think HDEW will be getting my money. Unless of course you lot can convince me otherwise. :)

It's only the flashgun and grip which they seem not to stock, but for that I'm happy to go to DigitalRev.

Anyway, thanks for the site. Will hopefully be around more often in the future.

ive got all my gear from hdew and its great, never had any problems, fast delivery, great to have someone on the other end of a phone that knows about photography to give great advice, never needed to use the warranty

Pints said:
Been lurking for a while as I make up my mind on what I'll be bundling with my first DSLR (Canon 650d).
I'd been expecting to spend my money with that other grey importer DigitalRev, but based on this thread, I think HDEW will be getting my money. Unless of course you lot can convince me otherwise. :)

It's only the flashgun and grip which they seem not to stock, but for that I'm happy to go to DigitalRev.

Anyway, thanks for the site. Will hopefully be around more often in the future.

Have you called them up to see if they will get the items for you? The 2 600ex-rt flash guns I purchased didn't show online so I dropped an email and I had them 4 days later.

Have you called them up to see if they will get the items for you? The 2 600ex-rt flash guns I purchased didn't show online so I dropped an email and I had them 4 days later.

Fair point. Although I suspect I may need to add the flashgun and grip to my Christmas list for later purchase. :)

I was all set to buy from panamoz when I got my 5D3 but when they never answered my emails for 4 days I had already ordered with hdew. They also answered the phone when I called and not an answer machine like panamoz. Ill be sticking with hdew for my lenses next they have been great to deal with.

Well ordered a 5dm3 with 24-105mm a few days ago. Hoping it'll be here by end of next week. The wait is killing me!!

I recieved my 5D3 from HDEW yesterday.

I specifically requested royal mail as I would not be in for the delivery any weekday and it is easier to get to the sorting office. Good ole HDEW dispatched to me on Friday and RM delivered while I was in on saturday :D

Very helpful company, I will defiantly buy from them again.

HDEW are based about 5 minutes away from me! Got my 550D from there and Canon 55-250mm. Close enough to pop in and pick the stuff up and prices always seem to beat anyone else. I know its all grey import stuff but they supply a UK warranty so in my mind cant really go wrong.

Before I bought the 550D I did look in the local Jessops. I asked them why the prices were so much more and they gave me all the stuff about grey importing not giving UK warranty and how their stuff is all from Canon UK etc etc. Look where they are now. Quite glad I went with HDEW as at least they are still there if any problem does arise!

Having just read though this thread I'm a bit concerned about the number of posts from people who have only made one, positive post in this thread and nothing since. No offence meant to anyone but after all this time those people haven't made any post about anything thing else. Smells a bit fishy to me but maybe I'm reading too much in to it.

Anyway, I do want a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and would like to get it from HDEW, their price looks good and I like the idea of not having to post to HK if there are issues etc.

My question (finally) is how long do you normally have to wait from ordering something to receiving it? Someone said you place the order and then they order it in, is this true for everything? There doesn't seem to be any notification of in stock items so I'm guessing the do get items to order.
I will call them but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Cheers

Hi Dave I ordered my D600 and nifty fifty on a Monday and received it on Friday. I returned the 50mm due to some purple flaring at high f stops and this was a 3 day turn around. I asked for and got a VAT receipt and in the box is the card for warranty. 1 year with HDEW and an extra 2 years with a third party. All in all an excellent service and really nice people to talk to on the phone.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good enough. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what's what. Ive not read anything bad about them and I'd much rather use a company with a UK contact point, although if I had pulled my finger out a week or so ago I could have saved almost another £150 from Panamoz.

For what it's worth your 50mm sounds like mine. I can never used it under about f/2.2 outdoors on my 60D, although its a bit better on my 5D

Having just read though this thread I'm a bit concerned about the number of posts from people who have only made one, positive post in this thread and nothing since. No offence meant to anyone but after all this time those people haven't made any post about anything thing else. Smells a bit fishy to me but maybe I'm reading too much in to it.

Anyway, I do want a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and would like to get it from HDEW, their price looks good and I like the idea of not having to post to HK if there are issues etc.

My question (finally) is how long do you normally have to wait from ordering something to receiving it? Someone said you place the order and then they order it in, is this true for everything? There doesn't seem to be any notification of in stock items so I'm guessing the do get items to order.
I will call them but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Cheers

If you read the post directly above yours they are only 5 minutes away from me. I have had a camera and lens from them and both time went there to collect the items. They are office (not shop) based but they do keep stock as I saw some of it when I was there. When I first found them I called up, asked if I could go and collect and within the hour I had my first DSLR in my hands! Not looked back since! :D I would have got my 50mm 1.8 lens from them aswell but when I called they had no stock, said they could have one within 2 days but another place half hour drive away had them in stock for about £5 more so due to my own impatience went there and got it the same day.

Over all I wouldnt worry about getting something from them. They seem like a friendly bunch :)

Thanks. I have read all the posts here, although probably didn't take it all in.
I'm in no way concerned about them, I was just wondering how long the whole ordering process can take, as I did read about them ordering the item after you place an order. I guess if they do have stock then its only a matter of a couple of days.

Cheers.

I think they stock most things on the website and also seem to keep it updated quite well. I had one of the last 550Ds they had and within a few days the listing had completely gone from the website. The 50mm 1.8 was not on the site but I called anyway, thats when they said they dont have it but can have one within a few days. Best thing give them a call and they will be able to tell you if they have stock or how long it will take to get if they dont.

I called them and they said they have rolling stock, so it would be ordered in. I did place an order but had to cancel as they would only deliver to my home address. No good for me as im at work during the day.
Ordered from Digital Rev instead, at £50 more.

Thanks for the help guys, i guess im out of this thread now.

How dare you! Inconveniencing a retailer like that.

Well actually it was the other way around. I placed the order on line but my card payments wouldn't go though, i had to call them to make the payment and that when they told me they couldn't full fill the order as it stood.
I cant understand why they let me make the order with a different delivery address on it in the first place.

Cheers

How often do people buy camera gear though?

I bought a 7d from HDEW last year, everything went fine, and I probably did make a positive comment here about them. Since then I've bought nothing from anyone......what else more is there to say?

jerry

Back