Heads up DxO PL6 is out

Edit My Images
No
The intro video on the website front page https://www.dxo.com/ shows what they are offering as some significant improvements.

So will it be buy at the upgrade price (yet to check what that will be?) or wait for Black Friday and compare :thinking:

Just had a look and I think it looks like the current upgrade price will be £89.00 for DXO 6 Elite.... hmmmm, not sure!

Just had a look and I think it looks like the current upgrade price will be £89.00 for DXO 6 Elite.... hmmmm, not sure!
Me neither ... they make a big thing about it not being a subscription product but it sure feels like the upgrades come frequently enough to make up for that! :thinking:

Me neither ... they make a big thing about it not being a subscription product but it sure feels like the upgrades come frequently enough to make up for that! :thinking:
Yes, perhaps but unlike a subscription model i.e. Adobe if you let the subscription lapse the software in effect is crippled. PhotoLab upgrades are optional and the current version keeps on working as it did before.

DxO do make the new major version each year and some features they bring in one might wish that was added as a dot release in the prior version ~ but c'est la vie.

PS the one step change I don't like by developers is like Topaz have done by making their new Photo AI only work with the much later Intel CPUs that have AVX2 processing. My ancient CPU does not have that......so for future the Topaz trinity will keep working but will most likely see very limited improvements other than big fixes. And no doubt will eventually be EoL :( in favour of Photo AI.

It is once a year, I still run PhotoLab 4 and haven't had any obligation to upgrade it. Usually at Black Friday they offer 50% off so I might very well try this one out. The Deep Prime XD, wider Colour Gamut and finally a soft proofing mode make it a compelling GAS.

Last edited:
Not convinced I need to spend another £89 for a couple of 'extras' ... still waiting for them to get a couple of the NIK plugins to work properly!

PS the one step change I don't like by developers is like Topaz have done by making their new Photo AI only work with the much later Intel CPUs that have AVX2 processing.
They have changed that. It now works with AVX. It always did, but they accidentally programmed in a check for AVX2 which they have removed in 1.0.2

They have changed that. It now works with AVX. It always did, but they accidentally programmed in a check for AVX2 which they have removed in 1.0.2
Interesting, because my i5 Quad (1st Gen) is only SSE but the trinity of programs work AOK though I think you need AVX for the 'snapin' masking Sharpen AI to work and IIRC it was stated for that enhanced masking to work you needed AVX.

I will have to look in on the community forum again and see what is being discussed again :thinking:

Interesting, because my i5 Quad (1st Gen) is only SSE but the trinity of programs work AOK though I think you need AVX for the 'snapin' masking Sharpen AI to work and IIRC it was stated for that enhanced masking to work you needed AVX.

I will have to look in on the community forum again and see what is being discussed again :thinking:
As I read it, you still need AVX (which they implied had been around for a long time) but not AVX2. it was the check for AVX2 that had been removed. But I didn't pay that much attention.

will be Interesting to see the difference between Deep prime on DXO 5 and the new version :)

As I read it, you still need AVX (which they implied had been around for a long time) but not AVX2. it was the check for AVX2 that had been removed. But I didn't pay that much attention.
Thanks for the added insight :)

I will have another look at it.

FWIW I queried this on the Topaz forum and the developer himself told me re: AVX2 being required!

Looks like there are some decent improvements. But having been using it exclusively for a few months now I'm still not convinced its the only processing software a photographer will ever need. It just doesn't approach the comprehensive nature of Lightroom. I hope the upgrade will be reduced to £44.50 on Black friday!

I downloaded it to try, but I am not convinced it will be worth the price for my use.
Very hard to tell the difference between it and the results I get with RawTherapee, or even Affinity, though Affinity does take me a bit longer to get it just right (that is probably me, not the software)

I don't have it to upgrade, so that means £200, far too much for what I would get out of it!

I downloaded it to try, but I am not convinced it will be worth the price for my use.
Very hard to tell the difference between it and the results I get with RawTherapee, or even Affinity, though Affinity does take me a bit longer to get it just right (that is probably me, not the software)

I don't have it to upgrade, so that means £200, far too much for what I would get out of it!

It'll probably be 50% off on Black Friday, in case that makes a difference! If I knew then what I know now I would probably gone with PureRaw, instead of the full Monty. But I still have the problem that my current version of LR will not process the files my new camera produces............ .

Thanks for the added insight :)

I will have another look at it.

FWIW I queried this on the Topaz forum and the developer himself told me re: AVX2 being required!
The explanation came from a forum "somewhere" but the release notes say:

• Replaced AVX2 check in the installer with just an AVX check

The explanation came from a forum "somewhere" but the release notes say:

• Replaced AVX2 check in the installer with just an AVX check
Thank you.

It will interesting to see what if anything happens when I run the installer, because as mentioned all of the others have installed and run AOK with the exception of the masking in Sharpen AI.....those installers, apparently, did not run an AVX check.

IIRC the reply I mentioned above by the developer about AVX2 was that it uses a smaller and leaner installer and that was a/the reason for AVX2 compliance :thinking:

My feelings also, but in my case compared to Lightroom. I already use PureRaw2 and the new version of Deep Prime doesn’t seem to give any advantage to my usage.

I was thinking about upgrading to get the Deep Prime XD but after seeing the results that I get from the current version again this morning I’m not sure if I even need to upgrade
I shot a band last night , was almost completely dark , I had to use maximum ISO on my R5 and the results from the current version deep prime were decent

I absolutely am convinced - I think it is the most excellent product. I skipped PL5 but I think in Black Friday I will go for it.
Yes that’s what I think as well , it’s so good that I’ve been going back and reprocessing old raws, it shows an improvement over what I previously got from Lightroom especially high ISO shots , of course Lightroom will have improved as well but even so PL 5 / Deep Prime has brought new life to some of my old shots

Just tried PL6 deep prime xd on a RX100 raw file shot at iso 5000, and looking at the exported dxo jpeg it has made a big difference compared to how the original raw and jpeg file looked.
iso 5000 is too high for a 1" sensor really but it has removed a lot of the noise in the shadow areas and text on a sign is now pretty eligible when before it was unreadable.
I will be getting PL6 on a Black Friday deal if they are going to do one.

Just tried PL6 deep prime xd on a RX100 raw file shot at iso 5000, and looking at the exported dxo jpeg it has made a big difference compared to how the original raw and jpeg file looked.
iso 5000 is too high for a 1" sensor really but it has removed a lot of the noise in the shadow areas and text on a sign is now pretty eligible when before it was unreadable.
I will be getting PL6 on a Black Friday deal if they are going to do one.
Have you any prior experience of PL and Deep Prime?

I have LR version 6 which is now out of date and a pain having to convert raws to dng for my RX100 VI. So I tried PL5 trial earlier in the year and I was happy with the output and workflow but didn't get around to purchasing PL5. As time went on and we got closer to the end of this year it seemed to make sense to wait and see if a new version was going to be released in October.

Wow, for a new customer PL6 is £199 and VP £89 which is a lot of money. I know it is not a subscription but that is 29 months of adobe. Chance are in 29 month you can do with an upgrade again.

I have LR version 6 which is now out of date and a pain having to convert raws to dng for my RX100 VI. So I tried PL5 trial earlier in the year and I was happy with the output and workflow but didn't get around to purchasing PL5. As time went on and we got closer to the end of this year it seemed to make sense to wait and see if a new version was going to be released in October.

Good thinking. Not long to wait now.

Wow, for a new customer PL6 is £199 and VP £89 which is a lot of money. I know it is not a subscription but that is 29 months of adobe. Chance are in 29 month you can do with an upgrade again.

Half price around Black Friday (almost certainly).

DXO PL5 was released in October 2021 I believe … now we have PL6 just 12 months later. As an owner of PL5 Elite it would cost me £89 to upgrade. DXO just keeps on raking it in, it’ a constantly repeating cycle.
I see no reason to upgrade but at £199 as a new customer I would have to think twice about choosing it over other options.

The Black Friday discounts are not as good as they were last year......
The upgrade price I have calculated is approx. 27% discount which IIRC is very close to the BF 2021 figure?

Just purchased PL 6 Elite at £139 as it will replace my ancient LR6 version and last me for a few years before i need to think about upgrading

I bought PL Elite 5 when it was on offer for about £100 so this time the discount must be less
I won’t be upgrading to 6, as far as I understand the difference in Raw conversion image quality is only slight so not worth it

I bought PL Elite 5 when it was on offer for about £100 so this time the discount must be less
I won’t be upgrading to 6, as far as I understand the difference in Raw conversion image quality is only slight so not worth it
There are a few other bells and whistles which I like...
- the ability to tweak the horizon when in the crop tool by grabbing the corners - I have wanted this for so long!
- colour coding of images. I've missed this since leaving Lightroom.
- the cloning/healing tool has had a big upgrade. I may not have to dip into Affinity now.
- a wider colour space - I'm not sure if this will make a difference to me yet.
My upgrade was £65 so I'm quite happy with that.

Did you go for Photolab in the end or something else? I'm in a similar position in that I'm still using Lightroom 6 but at the point now there's a couple of newer cameras I'm considering (including the RX100 VI), I'm not paying a subscription for Lightroom and was considering Capture One but I don't like their recent changes which suggest them moving to subscription at some point as well. After reading a few positive reviews of PhotoLab I've been thinking of giving it a go although it's tough getting a feel for new software when you're extremely familiar with existing software.

Did you go for Photolab in the end or something else? I'm in a similar position in that I'm still using Lightroom 6 but at the point now there's a couple of newer cameras I'm considering (including the RX100 VI), I'm not paying a subscription for Lightroom and was considering Capture One but I don't like their recent changes which suggest them moving to subscription at some point as well. After reading a few positive reviews of PhotoLab I've been thinking of giving it a go although it's tough getting a feel for new software when you're extremely familiar with existing software.
All I can suggest in regard to DxO PhotoLab is that you trial on some selection of your images (copy them into a 'test' folder) and just see what you think.

Please bear in mind it's power is best shown when starting with raw files.

PS I see all editing software as a set of tools and for me no one program does everything I want (though more than likely I still have a lot to learn) but I still use my PS 6 to finish (some) files. What I have ceased using is Lightroom!

Last edited:
@JohnMcL7 yes I went and purchased photolabs 6 as it was on offer for Black Friday. I also have the RX 100 mark six and using the deep prime feature works really well with high-ish iso files.

Back