Heat.

We have been using the log burner this week - bloomin chilly frankly.
No heating on here, I just fired it up to check, which is just as well going on my WCMUT post.

Reactions: Nod
When we got back late last tuesday night, I inadvertently turned the CH on as well as the hot water, so when we surfaced on Wednesday morning, the bathroom radiator was hot. Every room has a radiator thermostat but the bathroom one is set to max so is on when the heating's on. Must have just dropped below 17°C in the hall to set the heating off.

That reminds me, boiler service in the morning. Bye bye 70 quid. :confused:

I'd guess the house was down to about 17 degrees today, and I'm still expecting things to be a bit warmer after our French trip.
I guess I'm quite lucky, this is a warm house, double-glazed and cavity wall insulation throughout.
It's still 21 inside, with no heating, save 10 mins a day, the last couple of days, just making sure the valves are working ok.

I'm sure I'll need heating once the temperature drops low outside.
But for now, I'll remain smug :D

TBH that doesn't sound too outrageous.

I would agree to be fair, it brings peace of mind too (to an extent) and it's a new boiler so the guarantee requires annual services, which is fair enough. Even our old 18 year old one got it's annual service. It's just a heavy month, got house insurance and Wifey's birthday too, as well as our anniversary. A motorbike to tax although that's not essential.

full tank of oil (£830)

Will that last into next Spring Toni?

I would agree to be fair, it brings peace of mind too (to an extent) and it's a new boiler so the guarantee requires annual services, which is fair enough. Even our old 18 year old one got it's annual service. It's just a heavy month, got house insurance and Wifey's birthday too, as well as our anniversary. A motorbike to tax although that's not essential.

Will that last into next Spring Toni?
Jan/Feb. :(

A lot of years ago, I worked for Watson.
Delivering domestic fuel oil, and spirit to garages.

IIRC 28 sec oil 25p/l 35 sec oil, 35p/l
As I said a lot of years ago, well over 30 tbh.

78ppl + vat. We've seen the price fluctuate a lot over the last couple of years, down to half that at one point.

The electricity supply is much more reliable than it was when we moved here in 1990, our Rayburn (bought used, converted to oil) is 25 years old. I'm starting to wonder about an air source heat pump instead. The house has a mixture of single and (mostly) double glazing, thick walls and is cool in summer, but we're near the bottom of a valley and it's cold in winter.

Last edited:
78ppl + vat. We've seen the price fluctuate a lot over the last couple of years, down to half that at one point.
I guess that isn't as bad as I expected, as I said that was well over 30 years ago, when I was doing it.

I guess I'm quite lucky, this is a warm house, double-glazed and cavity wall insulation throughout.
It's still 21 inside, with no heating, save 10 mins a day, the last couple of days, just making sure the valves are working ok.

I'm sure I'll need heating once the temperature drops low outside.
But for now, I'll remain smug :D
I’m sure you meant snug
;)

Boiler serviced and all checked...........all good. He was here 40 minutes, tops.

He's done our boiler every year, I trust him, that's almost priceless. Was quite funny seeing his face when he saw it was new one. :LOL:

'Tis the autumn equinox today, ( the sun is directly above the equator, day and night are the same length)
and the temperatures are lowly starting to drop.
Mid teens here, its still pleasant for late September.

Last edited:
While out with the dog about 6am this morning it was the first time for many months I found it just a little bit chilly. I might have to put the shorts away soon.

Dave

While out with the dog about 6am this morning it was the first time for many months I found it just a little bit chilly. I might have to put the shorts away soon.

Dave
Allegedly, it went down to 5oC early hours, this morning.
I say allegedly as I have no idea about 5am's now.
I'd quite forgotten there was 2 5 O'clocks in a day (y)

Last edited:
It was 6°C at 06:00 here this morning. Chuffing chilly!!! Or Fircone freezing!!!

It was down to about 10 degrees her last night, with a high of 18 today.

I'm missing Cussy again. Weather for the next week shows overnight temps between 4 degrees and 11 degrees, with daytime between 21 and 25 and sunny. When we first saw the house Oct 2020 there had been a fairly hard frost overnight making the countryside beautiful, but then the day warmed up considerably to around the mid 20s, and we got really warm out on a walk.

Still I can't complain - the sky is clear, sun shining outside and the air is mild. Pretty nice really. :D

Been a nice day here, warmish, I never checked but my guess is 18 degrees, ish. The clouds rolled in early evening and I was out with wellies on and got cold toes. I was glad to put the heaters on in the car. Raining now and markedly cooler.

Its approaching 20oC and the grass is dry.
I guess I'd better go cut it.
#global warming is to blame for me having to do this
:D

To add though, it must have got quite cold last night. My hog bag is bulging at the seams.
I didn't think he could have packed anymore in there, seems I was wrong :D

Gorgeous here today. Top down on the way to and from lunch out, followed by a quick delivery trip on the bike.

A lovely 17 degrees outside today. A bit of a cloudy start but it's brightened up now and is a very pleasant afternoon. I have some weeding to finish off, then, hopefully no more garden stuff as such this year, although I'm sure the grass has grown since I cut it on Friday. Still warm enough for it to be growing. I mothballed the mower for overwintering too, I think I'll soon be wiping the GT85 back off it.

I'd guess at around 22ish here at midday - went for a walk in sunshine & returned warm & 'glowing'. If it stays clear I expect single figure temps tonight.

If it stays clear I expect single figure temps tonight.
It's high teens out there, and a predicted low of 12 overnight.
Looking at the long range, for the coming week it seems that overnight temperatures will be fluctuation between 14 & 5.
on different days.
That seems a bit of a wide range, one day to the next.

We just had quite a big thunderstorm. It's not that warm either but the sky went very dark and the rain came down straight.

I love a good thunderstorm but I wasn't expecting that today.

It's still very mild here, high teens. Very pleasant.
It seems a yellow warning, for wind, has been issued for most of the country.
Apart from the bit that sticks out to the right.
I'm right on the edge of that, so I'll see what develops overnight.

Having had Chili for tea, I'd expect wind levels to rise tomorrow. Possibly unpleasant (but very localised.)

Its very pleasant here, 20oC
But very dark, its beginning to look a lot like a storm in brewing.
It does seem to be remaining mild for awhile yet, as the Weather man Hog, has turfed out most of his bedding.

Edited to add, yep, here's the thunder ...
Edit, edit, and the rain. Hopefully I won't have to get the hose out later, my little trees are starting to get a bit thirsty.

Last edited:
The storm is here now. Lightning, power and internet cuts, including dropping the phone signal, torrential rain. Meh, as they say.

Been a lovely afternoon, not too warm, at a guess, 16 degrees. It's pretty calm just now, had a lovely sunset.

Not sure what's in store for us next.

Last edited:
The storm is here now. Lightning, power and internet cuts, including dropping the phone signal, torrential rain. Meh, as they say.
Its still on going. Pitch black by 7pm.
No electrical interference, thankfully.

Not heat really but here on the north west coast of Scotland it has been warm, as in outside in a T shirt, today.

Dave

October and still drying clothes out on the line here. I think that is some sort of record.

Wow, that's some explosion in Oxfordshire, caused by lightning striking a recycling centre, igniting gas apparently.

Hope evrybody is OK.

Wow, that's some explosion in Oxfordshire, caused by lightning striking a recycling centre, igniting gas apparently.

Hope evrybody is OK.
In a statement, Severn Trent Green Power said: "This evening a digester tank at our Cassington facility near Yarnton, Oxfordshire has been struck by lightning which has caused an explosion in our biogas tanks.

"Thankfully, no one has been hurt.

I know of Cassington, just a few miles from where I work in Kidlington. It's too far to have been the cause of our power cuts though.

Back